Would you

My insurance runs out tomorrow and I am picking up my new car on Saturday. I spoke to my insurance company and if I renew my policy with then I will have to pay £30 fee to change the details and they will refund me the difference between the premiums between the two cars (the Alfa is about £70 less to insure) but they also only return 11 months of the premium difference :shutup:

I told them I would renew with them if they waived the admin fee but they wouldn't entertain it. So I told them I was going elsewhere.

I looked into arranging short term insurance cover for the 4 days but the prices are extortionate and the cheapest I could find of the few that would insure a Porsche was £70

So I thought It would be a cheaper option to go cap in hand to my existing insurance and renew with them and pay the Admin fee. When I was on the phone to them I thought I would enquire again if there was anything I could do to avoid the fees, I was amazed by the guys suggestion . He said I could renew my policy with them and after the 4 days cancel it and get a full refund which you are allowed to do because of the 14 day cooling off period which is a condition of all insurance policies sold on line. I would then be free to renew with them or choose any other insurance company :blink: I asked if he was sure it was OK to do so and he assured me it was a perfectly acceptable practise.

To me it seems a bit immoral especially if you were to go with a different insurance company :unsure:

What would you guys do ?

I wouldn't think twice. Surprised that the guy was able to advise you of this, he must have the right hump with his employer.

I hope the call wasn't being recorded for training purposes

As I understand it, all calls are routinely recorded for compliance reasons. Even if it were recorded and even if someone was inclined to listen into it, there is nothing in the advice he has given that you could not have found out another way and nothing that is in any way could come back on you. I think it's sound advice and I would certainly follow it.

In the renewal T&Cs it must surely state this somewhere. If it does, then its a no-brainer - go for it!

If not, I'd think twice or call to confirm, get their name/number/rank and make a note of the date/time you called. You can then bust em if they play funny buggers.

I was in exactly the same situation a couple of weeks ago.I had to renew the Box for the sake of 3 days and the current insurance co wouldn't insure the VX.I renewed my policy on the box and cancelled it free of charge after a week.I've never claimed on any insurance policy for over 20 years so I didn't exactly feel guilty.All insurance products have to have a cooling off period.

Its perfectly legal - provided you don't prang it and claim in the 7 days cooling off that you have - so do it....I would! :inocent:

I called my insurance company today to change the details on my insurance policy for tomorrow. They recalculated the premium and offered me a £14 rebate after admin fee . I told them I would be much cheaper to to cancel and take out a new policy elsewhere. The guy told me it was my prerogative but there would be a cancellation fee and only an 11 month rebate until I pointed out I was still within the 14 day cooling off period. He put me on hold to speak to his supervisor, when he came back on he offered a £49 refund which was not too far off the saving I would make by cancelling so I accepted the rebate and stayed with my existing insurer.

Sounds like you were talking to a right plank mate!!!

£49 of fuel, that will get you how many miles in your motor :thumbsup_anim:

Archived