Here I go again

Daveyh70

My wife was out in my can and a van pulled out of a side road and glanced the drivers rear quarter scratching the panel and scuffing the bumper... No dents on any panel...

Obviously not happy!

Anyway got her to take if for a quote for repair... £19 short of £2k. Complete rip off! £450 of materials alone... Just paint by the way...

I have decided to take it where I bought the car and they estimate £200.

As the van is owned by a national utilities company a claims company has got involved and is looking to maximise the pay out... All I want is my car back to normal...

Anyway I have decided to get the repair done for £200 and will probably pay myself for the following reasons....

1) Even if it is not my wife's fault it will increase the premium on all 3 policies we have so paying myself will save me money.

2) I think that the whole business of claims management and insurance approved body repair shops is a rip off and don't want any part of it.

3) I trust the garage where I bought the car more than anybody else.

4) This way I get my car back when I want it.

5) At this cost I could risk the car beng written off, it is far far too good to even enter into this kind of debate with an insurance company.

6) I am probably a bit of a control freak!

So rant over.... And I feel a bit better...

I can't help feeling that insurance is all a big scam and I am forced to participate :/

BTW I am fully insured as is my wife...

gutted ...

what strikes me is the way the claims work ... wouldn't minimising the payouts save money to insurance companies so they can lower the premiums ? .. i know its utopian thinking, but i have moral problem with inflating the prices ....

I think it has become tit for tat to be honest, a little bit like a nuclear arms race.

In the garage they put my wife straight on to a claims management company who where keen to get her a replacement porsche... Can you just imagine what the cost of that would have been via a claims company!

At that price the metallic element in the paint should be 100% pure silver!

With a few days reflection I think the whole insurance, repair and claims management needs investigation...

It was only a few months ago that drivers were being blamed for inflating premiums due to whiplash... What about the rest of the industry?

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely applaud what you are doing.

I wonder if it's worth trying to call the fleet manager of the utility company to explain what and why - and see if there is some other way that they can compensate you - direct cheque, discount on their products etc... who knows....

I'm full of admiration for what you're proposing, but looking at the basic facts of the matter, your car was hit by another vehicle pulling out of a side road? By all means minimise the costs of repair but surely the other party or their insurers should be coughing up?

I was going to make some witty (at least it would be witty in my head) comment about hopefully not damaging the orangey lighting but will refrain as I suspect you are already as p*ssed off as you would want to be.

I would contact the other insurance company and put your cards on the table, I believe it is known as settling in lieu or some such.

I have personally done this in the past on several occasions and the Insurance company have paid out without so much as a blink of their hairy eye's. I think it suited everyone involved as the insurance got it settled for a fraction of what they might have got stung for.

Worth a try Davey lad and fair play to you for wanting to do the right thing. :worship:

Thanks for the comments.... It all paid off in the end. They stumped up the money with no hassle. I love it when it all works out :)

Really happy with the job they did, even gave it a lovely machine polish.

Exy you will be pleased to know that no ambers were hurt in the accident :) that would have just been too much!

Thanks for the comments.... It all paid off in the end. They stumped up the money with no hassle. I love it when it all works out :)

Really happy with the job they did, even gave it a lovely machine polish.

Exy you will be pleased to know that no ambers were hurt in the accident :) that would have just been too much!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent :thumbsup_still:

BooBoo's on the ambers are to be avoided at all costs and no mistake :D

Archived