Arctic Silver/Red Interior - Desirability?

Boxatricks

So, thoughts on whether an early Arctic Silver 986 with red interior, just like the concept Boxster, will be more desirable in years to come than 986's with other colour combinations?

This is mine. Registered May 1997, with 95k miles.

Boxster 1.jpg

I think a car close to the original is desirable because it is as such. For better (mainly) or for worse your's is modded so you lose the originality.

I think the obvious visual/cosmetic stuff like roof, lights, wheels, exhaust, stereo take away from being original but stuff more under the skins like uprated suspension, gearbox mounts, brake lines/discs/pads don't as they are much less obvious. I would say just drive it and enjoy it :D 

I expect a low mileage example with factory ambers, red leather and black roof on 17" twists will be the pinnacle of an early Boxster.

I was recently reading December 1993 issue of 911 Porsche world:

(check that moustache B)

6A4C2867-9A11-411A-BCC3-DC9650C434C9.jpg

9793C0CC-AE73-4D32-91DF-423B75185E06.jpg

39B3B4DB-B286-403F-B448-740F6DE5F365.jpg

really makes me want those wheels and gold calipers!

The box red is definately the best interior colour for a 986 imo. It was only available in extended leather too which is a bonus.

Yes, the siver/red is the classic combo, but seen a few blue cars which look even nicer.

I expect only low mileage, totally original cars will be more desirable in the future, original launch colours might

help, though for many, its black only. 

Like other I also think it's the classic combination (I had one), but would agree with edc's and Paul's comments above - there are several things on yours that immediately look non-original - that's not a criticism (and they are reversible), but it does IMO contradict the 'classic' spec somewhat.

BUT I think a bigger 'desirability' factor will always be condition, good maintenance and history. There were lots of arctic silver/boxster red cars on the road so I don't see that factor ever outweighing condition. And personally I don't think it's worth thinking too much about future classic values - cars are meant to be driven. For every one cherished low-mileage example that sells for a mint, I suspect there are many others that have either deteriorated through under-use, been garaged to keep a low mileage and then been walloped by a truck on one of its few outings, or failed to fulfill its owner's expected future somehow. Sorry of that sounds gloomy because it's not meant to - I'd say just drive it and enjoy it, as I expect you probably already do! :)

Yep, agree, silver with red interior as original as possible is has the potential to be the car most sort after by collectors, mine is all original except for the red roof with heated rear glass window, an upgrade I could not live with out.

Its going to be featured on the front cover of Porsche and 911 soon so looking forward to the right up and now its got provenance i expect the value to be doubled...not. lol

Enjoying reading the posts above.

To confirm, I have no desire to sell my Boxster, and I do drive it as the manufacturer intended! I didn't buy the car as an investment. The question was asked just as a point of discussion. When I bought it over 2 years ago, it wouldn't have been my preferred colour combination to be honest. The red takes some getting used to, and I'm not a lover of silver cars in general. BUT, once I looked more into it, discovered the pics of the concept car, and the story behind the 986, I'm pleased I have it. When I take it to car shows, it's certainly a point of conversation, especially when people realise it's 19 years old and one of the first Boxsters.

Looking forward to reading more peoples thoughts.

Well there are lots of silver cars around, but I still think silver and red is a great combination - I've just gone back to something very similar after a 15-year speed yellow interlude. This was my 986 which I picked up in Feb 1998 after a long 16 month wait ...

r56jpe1_zpsorzysyga.jpg

I really like the classic colour combo and have a view that this will be the most desired combo in years to come.......how many years is anyone's guess.

i really (REALLY) like your car Boxatricks, it looks great with those Lobsters on it 

I think people will look mainly for condition in future, the colour/combo is really a bonus, you currently have good condition 986's car going for more than 987's  - we are right in the mix of the 986 becoming more desirable as numbers reduce.

That will increase over the next few years, if you have a good 986 example with confirmed history this will become the benchmark for pricing, the key is what the price will be as you will still have lots of un-cared for examples hanging about.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Boxatricks, would you consider swapping your wheels for more traditional ones? Curious.

Occasionally pondered on it, but I love the Lobsters too much to change. I value originality, but at the same time, I love my cars to look the best they can. I reckon the clear lights are smarter than the ambers, in the same way the 19" Lobsters sit well and look better than more standard 17"s.

Archived