Buying Choices. Manual or automatic.

Pilgrimfan

Hi everyone. I hope to be joining in with everyone here by buying my first Porsche.

My budget isn't huge but I have been looking at the Boxster S between 2000 and 2003.

I have seen a couple for sale with both being the same price. Thy are both 51 plates with very similar mileage, service history and extras.

The main difference being that one is a manual and the other an auto. I don't particularly mind either. I have mainly driven manuals but I did have one car being an auto.

The auto has a hard top and soft top with it but the manual has a new soft top with a glass rear screen. That being the only other major difference between the two.

Are there any particular problems that are associated with either of the gearboxes that would err someone to buy the car with the other gearbox.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Martin

34 minutes ago, EXY said:

Great topic, don't think we have discussed that one before :)

Your current ride is a 986?

Are you a Cobra aficionado perchance? 

34 minutes ago, EXY said:

Your current ride is a 986?

I had to put something in the box when signing up so I was pre empting the upcoming purchase.

I am going to look at the auto tomorrow and may if I have time pop over to see the other one as well

My first Boxster was a tiptronic , and whilst it was a great car with a semi auto gearbox (can be manually over ridden , I soon got bored of the car doing everything for me and the lack of involvement......  its horses for courses of course but the old tiptronic gearbox is very old tech now with the almost seamless PDK 's but thats a different price range. Bear in mind also that putting power through an autos torque converter will sap a bit of engine power and increase your mpg by a bit.............  I did love the Boxster S with tip gearbox but don't think I'd choose it over a manual again...

PDK  ? I don't know

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks Mike. I had a drive in a manual 3.2 on Thursday, in and around London for about 15 minutes of heavy traffic. Couldn't drive it far but I have big feet and the footwell seemed a bit cramped with 3 pedals. The clutch seemed fairly heavy. Is this normal. I didn't have the car for a couple of reasons. The main one was that it was a 40 minute drive to get to a road where I could open her up and get her up to 70mph. Didn't fancy buying a car without the ability to test the car on all roads.

I'll be trying an auto tomorrow and see how it goes. This dealer is right net to a motorway so there should be no problem getting to push it a bit.

Thanks again for the input.

The old manual vs Auto - it's really a personal thing.

I have a 2001 986S which I use just for fun and on the weekends, so I was more than happy with a manual, now if I had to use this car everyday I would get a auto, for the luxury of auto driving during the commute vs the small bit of extra fun on the weekend would be a no brainer.

I only say this because you mention London driving straight away, I drove auto cars in Australia for 10 years commuting and doing miles they were perfect.

If this car is just a weekend toy or a casual drive, I'd still get a manual and a 'by-pass' exhaust mod done, you will only be in 2/3/4th gears then :)

Thanks Southy,

I will be using the car fairly regularly including a commute to work. (only a mile and a half)

I only looked at the car in London. I don't live there. And after that experience of London traffic I don't really want to.It was manic. How do Londoners do it.

I live in Plymouth so it's a bit quieter on the roads here (sometimes)

Thanks Again

1 hour ago, Pilgrimfan said:

Thanks Southy,

I will be using the car fairly regularly including a commute to work. (only a mile and a half)

I only looked at the car in London. I don't live there. And after that experience of London traffic I don't really want to.It was manic. How do Londoners do it.

I live in Plymouth so it's a bit quieter on the roads here (sometimes)

Thanks Again

I took my Box to near Plymouth a couple of weeks ago from Essex to visit my daughterr and son in law and grandsons. the manual was fantastic around the Devon  roads..... Just a point worth noting  here , I've had two facelift 986 S variants amd whilst they're fantastic, its worth mentioning that the facelift 2.7 986 I have now has the same stated 0 - 60 time as the tiptronic 3.2 986 which gives some idea of the wasted power using an auto.

Just my opinion here but don't ever think you're getting the best of both worlds with an auto gearbox you can put into manual mode... the lag and fact that the gearbox will only take your commands if it sees fir to do so only goes to numb the experience, but they are still a clever piece of kit

Mike

Manual for fun, auto for convenience then? 

Both of mine have been manual. I drove an auto in between the two and would never consider buying one based on that experience. Far too soft for what I'm looking for from my boxster experience. But of course, it's a very personal thing. 

Owned 2 TIP (986/986s) with the trans chosen as traffic had increased vastly in my area in the 30+ years since the time of 3 prior sports cars, all sticks. My 12 mile commute had gone from 10 to 50 minutes for the exact same route. A dash to a creep. I found when I got home I was much more relaxed.

Your car, your choice, Try both.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the replies. 

I tried out a few cars including an automatic. I didn't mind it but it did seem a very lazy drive.

After trying the manual it seemed that you could have that little extra fun behind the wheel. Changing gear when you want and not being dictated when to change.

A deposit has now been put down on a 51 plate 3.2 S. 

It's being MOT'd tomorrow so hopefully ready to pick right up. Not that I'm excited or anything. Much.

Nice one Pilgrimfan - do post up pics when you pick it up, what colour...hopefully a nice Pompey blue 

p.s. In case you hadn't guessed Im a Pompey fan so we owe you Pilgrims one this season :-)

3 minutes ago, mickemo said:

Nice one Pilgrimfan - do post up pics when you pick it up, what colour...hopefully a nice Pompey blue 

p.s. In case you hadn't guessed Im a Pompey fan so we owe you Pilgrims one this season :-)

Haha, Unfortunately yes it is in Pompey blue, But I suppose that is better than Scummer Red. (sorry to both City and saints fans)

Yes I will put some pics up when I pick it up. As I say it's being MOT'd tomorrow so hopefully pass first time so can pick it up straight away.

In some ways you want them to find something quite costly so that the cost is borne by them and not me at a later date.

Nothing wrong with Pompey blue :-)  You'll have Guvs & Southy after you for bad mouthing (Scummer) Red

I take it you are picking it up from a Dealer ?

Do you have a good local indie down in Devon you can take it too ?

I'm getting it privately but they were waiting to get a seller before they mot'd it. 

I don't mind at the end of the day it'll have a full 12 months ticket with them paying for any work needs doing. They seem confident it will fly through but we'll have to wait and see.

I haven't really looked at independent dealers and what they can provide. 

There seems a good one in Saltash. which is like Gosport is to Portsmouth except there is a bridge to it.

what 'scummer' red!

@Guvs not only is he aiming at your car but also your country I'll let you sort it out :)

Everyone knows that Porsche made the Guards red cars faster from the factory.

17 hours ago, Pilgrimfan said:

I'm getting it privately but they were waiting to get a seller before they mot'd it. 

I don't mind at the end of the day it'll have a full 12 months ticket with them paying for any work needs doing. They seem confident it will fly through but we'll have to wait and see.

I haven't really looked at independent dealers and what they can provide. 

There seems a good one in Saltash. which is like Gosport is to Portsmouth except there is a bridge to it.

Ask to see the advisories on the MOT, or look it up online just so you know about any indication of future work.

Nice one Pilgrimfan    

Im sure you don't need me to tell you that they should be replaced in pairs across the axle, is the misting on the front or rear dampers ?    Rears are more involved to change

Don't forget to cut the grass & weed your drive :D

I think you made the right choice with the manual, the Boxster deserves the hands on approach.

I think if you had a long commute it maybe a different story but I couldn't imagine mine without the clutch and shifter!

As Chaz said I'm old school like that, manual 3.2 for me!

Finally here it is. Is there a better place I can post the pics on here guys?

I have got a couple of problems that have happened since I picked it up. The joys of buying privately. A power steering leak and an Check Engine light light come up.

Oh and the remote locking not working. Hope that is where it ends lol.

But wow. I took it to Taunton Friday and the ride blew me away. 

por 1.JPG

por 2.JPG

Archived