tyres

alank

Hi has anyone had any experience with MAXXIS  VS 01 Tyres, was going to get a pair on rear as the reviews seem quite good and at £98 fitted/per    seem good price. thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alank said:

Hi Loz 987

where did you get your nexens from, they sound a reasonable tyre, and good value, thanks  alan

Having worked in the trade for quite some time, don't bother.

They will last half as long as a tyre a tenth more in cost, and will become quite unpredictable in the last 3-4mm of tread.   Not worth risking ditch finders or budgets on the rear with 250bhp to put down.

48 minutes ago, A15X said:

Good year Eagle F1's must be one of the cheaper 'performance' tyres and can be had for not much more money?

Indeed.

Eagle F1's are £131.32 fitted from Blackcircles, or you can get Bridgestone Potenza for 1p more.   Nexens aren't listed for obvious reasons, but supplied from Camskill are around £75-80 each, so about £100 fitted from a garage I'd expect.

Even Kumhos or Avons are around £110 each, and a far superior tyre than Nexens.  Problem you get is people write reviews for these tyres before they've covered 5k on them - they'll start to chew up and become a liability not long after, so £/mile the "more expensive" ones are actually much cheaper in the long run.

...or Acceleras at £40 each supplied if you can afford to put the £90 saved towards a bodyshop repair when the ar*e lets go.

My nexens were new at 104k and today at 109.7k I can say I've never had an unpredictable moment wet or dry. There's 5mm+ left on each hoop as I don't drive it like I stole it, so pound for pound I've no complaints. Of course I've only pilot spirits on a Boxster to compare to which were also more than up to the job though a different size on standard turbo twist staggered set up. 

Based upon current usage I'll see out the season on the Nexen rubber with no complaints. In the twisty stuff the car has never so much as twitched. It's polybushed, btw. 

Ps. I'm guessing a tyre that lasts half as long as another does so because it's softer and correspondingly stickier than the other?

but I'm not in the trade, just have about 6 years experience of track day cars and bikes on technical (twisty) curcuits as a amateur enthusiast. I've put khumo tyres through about 300bhp around Croft curcuit and down Santa pod and agree for the price they are quickly sticky, but also go off like wets under moderately prolonged use and slide around into the world of understeer in my experience with a 2 tonne rear wheel drive car. So not quite like for like. 

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

Ps. I'm guessing a tyre that lasts half as long as another does so because it's softer and correspondingly stickier than the other?

but I'm not in the trade, just have about 6 years experience of track day cars and bikes on technical (twisty) curcuits as a amateur enthusiast. I've put khumo tyres through about 300bhp around Croft curcuit and down Santa pod and agree for the price they are quickly sticky, but also go off like wets under moderately prolonged use and slide around into the world of understeer in my experience with a 2 tonne rear wheel drive car. So not quite like for like. 

The compound and general consistency of the rubber is also a factor, as well as the manufacturing process.  

Most Nexens only come with 5mm of tread at new on the shoulders, so it'd be interesting to know if that's an estimation of an actual measurement. 

Having seen many different brands of tyres being fitted and subsequently returning x thousand miles later, I can confirm I wouldn't buy Nexens. They're just not value for money. Even if you were selling a car, spending the extra £25 a corner would no doubt be retained in the sale price.

I've been there before with "budget premium" and you think hey, these are better than those Goodyears and Pirellis until you go through one winter and a good year of driving and they start to degrade rapidly.

They're all fine on town cars, but on a rear wheel drive sports car there's an element of 'caveat emptor'

On 11/07/2016 at 10:46 AM, alank said:

Hi has anyone had any experience with MAXXIS  VS 01 Tyres, was going to get a pair on rear as the reviews seem quite good and at £98 fitted/per    seem good price. thanks

Have recently put Maxxis tyres on the rear of my Espace. Seem alright but they're not really tested as the car is a mobile shed not a performance car! They may be alright but for my Boxster I buy premium tyres for peace of mind.

Kumho are great, just had rears done and at £216 fitted its fairly cheap for a great tyre, and will give 10-8 thou of good grip, all round driving all year, and I do drive at pace a lot. (think Porsche to*ser level but with better manner )

That's interesting CJ,

my 6000 mile Nexens have 4-5 MM. in them today across the three main sections right, mid and left. Maybe I just got a lucky pair. 

I've had good experiences with Continental and Avon but I seldom buy on price, more on noise, stickiness, and longevity.

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, Boxob said:

Have recently put Maxxis tyres on the rear of my Espace. Seem alright but they're not really tested as the car is a mobile shed not a performance car! They may be alright but for my Boxster I buy premium tyres for peace of mind.

Sensible man..

Archived