Few questions re Used Car Purchase

Cupola981

Hi there

I've just bought a used 981 and although fundamentally sound and great to drive there are just a few minor niggles and wondered if anyone has experienced these or has any advice - the car has come with a Porsche extended warranty and also wondered which items below this is likely to cover:

1) The heated seats don't seem to get very hot on the highest setting - just warm - is this how they are? Having had various BMWs and Audis over the years these have always been much hotter. 

2) same as above but with the heated steering wheel - just warm compared to BMW

3) the interior door trims seem creaky and a little loose when using the internal door/grab handles - is this normal?

4) When the roof is lowered down on the near side the fabric bulges out slightly and just catches the body work - you have to manually poke it in slightly. 

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm obviously going to take it to the local Porsche dealer but as I haven't dealt with them before wanted some expert thoughts first!

Can't speak for the 981 as have a 986, but the heated seats should get pretty hot on high. If In doubt ask the OPC if you can compare

your various niggles against an equivalent model they'll have in the showroom

I've just bought a used 981 and although fundamentally sound and great to drive there are just a few minor niggles and wondered if anyone has experienced these or has any advice - the car has come with a Porsche extended warranty and also wondered which items below this is likely to cover:

well done on the purchase:bana:where are the pictures!

1) The heated seats don't seem to get very hot on the highest setting - just warm - is this how they are? Having had various BMWs and Audis over the years these have always been much hotter. 

I dont think they get super hot although I have noticed that in warmer temperatures you notice it less...they work better in the cold if you know what I mean

2) same as above but with the heated steering wheel - just warm compared to BMW

have a heated wheel on the Cayenne and would say the same as my comment above

3) the interior door trims seem creaky and a little loose when using the internal door/grab handles - is this normal?

no, and doubt it would be covered under warranty

4) When the roof is lowered down on the near side the fabric bulges out slightly and just catches the body work - you have to manually poke it in slightly. 

it shouldn't do that...

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm obviously going to take it to the local Porsche dealer but as I haven't dealt with them before wanted some expert thoughts first!

OPC all the way, just ask them what is and isn't covered under warranty...make it clear you need to know before work is done and you'll be fine

Hi Cupola981.  Boxsternoob56's comments are on the money, in my experience.  

The interior trim is all as tight as a drum on my 981 and there's definitely no flex when you pull the door shut. 

The roof folds neatly and sits just clear of and below the leading edge of the bootlid, although there is a fold/peak in the fabric that is just visible, symmetrically on each side, about 150mm inboard from the corners of the lid.  (In this regard it is slightly less neat than the 986 and 987, which had a separate cover partly covering the folded hood.)

The heated seats are certainly more subtle than some, but very comfortable and effective in normal use.  In contrast, the heated seats in my former F-type convertible were so fierce,  even on the lowest setting, that I had to switch them off after a few minutes, even on very cold days.

Good luck with your new Boxster and welcome to the forum

(1) know what you mean but never fiercely hot -eventually you just feel too warm to be comfortable and adjust down or switch off

(2) haven't got this cant comment

(3) No never experienced this, I'd have thought worth a go under warranty.

(4) Not right

as others say get it in to OPC at soonest.

Do we know age/mileage? but all the same its going to be a relatively new car, just curious that's all.

I have a daughter who loves heated seats so much she had them on tonight, in August, real t-shirt weather, on 2 of 3 in the bmw, they're so fierce that I turn off a 1 setting in January after a few mins....

One of the gadgets I have is a laser guided infra red remote temperature gauge, that'd give you a clue what temps yours is hitting...

I agree with Boxsternoob on all his comments - except to me the seats are quite hot on high (too hot to keep them on high for long) and just comfortable on low with roof down in winter.  I wonder if they feel hotter on mine due to the Alcantara seat centres?

Archived