mpg surprise

alank

since getting my boxster S i have suspected it  is not that bad on fuel. Today i was out in it and was doing 55 for a while, having reset MPG average to zero at start , and was surprised to see a constant 39 mpg at that speed. I dont make a habit of 55mph, but it was surprising.

My brim to brim 987 gen 1 2.7 manual averages 25mpg over mixed Motorway and A roads, with little town traffic..

Daily commute is 28 mile round trip not that much heavy traffic either...im bummed i was hoping for near as damn it 30mpg average....i keep considering a remap to try and up the mpg average

The best I've ever managed in my 'S' was 42 mpg on a run from Burford to Exeter in the summer about 4 years ago. The traffic was relatively light and it was non-stop driving. Average speed over the whole journey was 54 mph. I've found it's fairly easy to get 34/35 mpg from a well maintained 986 'S' if you're not too heavy with your right foot.

Just done Yorkshire to Dunfries and Galloway in my S and got 34.9. 

The A1 and a66 were both shocking for queuing traffic and there was some 'careful excitement' on the a75 so I was pleasantly surprised!

On a long motorway run I'll get 23mpg.  Around town mid teens. Definitely didn't buy it to be a motorway mile munching MPG delight. I would be fine with it doing 10mpg all day long to be fair. I have a Passat for 60mpg bores

On the other hand I can achieve 11 mpg on a 25 minute track session at an average speed of just under 80 mph without trying too hard... :P

Haha, I was a tad surprised to see that I averaged 13mpg on a brisk-ish drive from Bormio to the top of the Stelvio Pass back in June - a bit lower than my typical mpg :) 

On JT's Northern run I had a 100 miles of cruising there and back on the A1 combined with 200 miles of "spirited driving" in the countryside. Averaged 30 mpg out of 9.8 gallons. Very happy with that. Smooth driving is the key, right JT? 

Funnily enough, I was chatting to @Loz987 and the owner of the 981 GTS whose name escapes me when we stopped for lunch during JT's northern run at the weekend and I honestly had no idea what my fuel consumption was, which I believed to be low 20s.

Having set the trip on the drive back from the Lake District, I got 28.2 on a 137 mile drive averaging 62mph so I'm happy with that. On an urban trip out yesterday it was 22.4 on an 8 mile journey averaging 23mph.

I'm sure I could squeeze over 30mpg if I tried but that's not what these cars are about, is it?

Archived