Wet handling

Patrick Bateman

Just how spiky should these be in the wet? I've only had mine a week and driving back from work tonight is the first time the roads have been properly wet to get a feel for it.

A fairly large roundabout and a second gear corner had the back end stepping out very suddenly. Each time I was looking to see at what point it would start to go a bit light and just start to lose grip but even consciously doing that it happened in an instant, to the point that the PSM sorted it out before I could react. Granted being mid-engined RWD isn't going to be the same as front-engined RWD but at that speed it was nothing that would have caused my old M5 or the Clio Trophy to be upset so much. No hint of anything then the back end wanting to overtake the front.

I know with experience that e46 3 series are very sensitive with different tyres front to rear but can't find a huge amount suggesting these are the same? Falken on each axle so not the absolute best but not bad, FK510 on the front and FK453 on the rear. All fairly new. Not sure when the car last had its alignment checked so that'll no doubt be worth getting done regardless.

It was the suddenness of it that was unnerving. FWIW the M5 and Clio had matching premium tyres all round, they always give you some warning when you're at the limit, with the exception of low-speed understeer in the M5.

Or are these really just that spiky due to being mid-engined? Not a hint if understeer though. 

I doubt its the tyres.

Falkens are decent enough, and you don't need the same front/rear, though someone will probably tell you to get PS2's all round.

Have you checked the tyre pressures ?

I expect your geo is out of whack............would look there before the tyres.

CenterGravity are the business. My 550 was nervous and twitchy, didn't inspire confidence. Had a four wheel alignment on a hunter system with no improvement. CG worked their magic, the car was transformed. 

When I first saw your other ride was a Clio, I assumed that your were driving it like a FWD car, but as you had an M5 I doubt it.

If the tyres are fairly new - and not old stock, then I wouldn't think they will be your problem - as long as you have at least 3mm across the whole tread area.  I have had Pirelli tyres cause problems towards the end of their life, and I don't know how Falkens behave as they age on Boxsters.  You should be getting a little understeer before any oversteer, so something doesn't sound right.

Centre Gravity are good, but as a start I'd get it on a Hunter and make sure the geo is as per the book.

Archived