Quirky maintenance items

mdunderwood

Hi all,

On my 986 there were a number of quirky maintenance activities e.g. clearing the drain holes under the battery and clam shell to avoid the car flooding. Are there any similar things to do on the 981 apart from clearing leaves from the front radiator openings?

1 minute ago, mneil said:

Fit zunsport grills.

Yes, well worth doing as they keep 95% of the debris out and protect the  air-con condensers from stone damage.  You may have to remove them before the car is serviced, depending on the attitude of your OPC to non-approved parts being fitted.

32 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

not sure I'd worry about service but I did at warranty extension under OPC advice

Good advice, Boxsternoob.  Mine is due its first service soon, so I'll sound the OPC out before I drop it in.  It would be great not to have to remove them, as they were a bit fiddly and required some fettling to fit perfectly.  Well worth it, though.

Removed mine before it went into OPC for some work under extended warranty.  I remember it was really fiddly getting them to fit the first time around, but refitting them was a doddle.  Although I also use zip ties to keep them secure, and getting the last one of those in for each side is the hardest part.

3 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Mine went into OPC Edinburgh for some warranty work recently with the Zunnsport grilles fitted - no mention made and no issues raised!

More good news, thanks RBD914 v2.  

Anybody have their car with Zunsport grilles fitted serviced at OPC Colchester?

6 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Mine went into OPC Edinburgh for some warranty work recently with the Zunnsport grilles fitted - no mention made and no issues raised!

Ditto at Portsmouth. Not picked up for warranty work, tyres or during service.

I sense the warranty check would be more stringent though 

All, thanks very much for your comments.

However it seems like the thread of my thread has been somewhat side tracked into a discussion on the impact of Zunsport grilles on warrantees.

So, if I may be so bold - apart from fitting Zunsport grilles are there any other quirky maintenance items like drain holes that need clearing etc....or any other main design faults (like leaving the rads exposed to impact from road debris) that people recommend fixing?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, mdunderwood said:

All, thanks very much for your comments.

However it seems like the thread of my thread has been somewhat side tracked into a discussion on the impact of Zunsport grilles on warrantees.

So, if I may be so bold - apart from fitting Zunsport grilles are there any other quirky maintenance items like drain holes that need clearing etc....or any other main design faults (like leaving the rads exposed to impact from road debris) that people recommend fixing?

Thanks.

Sorry, I think I initiated that deviation.

Not exactly maintenance per se, but I was advised that the best way to look after a Boxster was to drive it.  Specifically, take it out for a good run once a week and get everything fully up to temperature.  Some Boxsters used as second or weekend cars suffer from under-use and, in particular, short journey use only, which can cause corrosion and excessive wear within the engine.  That's why very low mileage cars are not necessarily a good purchase secondhand. Also, low mileage cars should have an annual oil change, not every two years as specified by the service schedule.

Hope this is helpful. ☺

Although I've not had this issue (yet) on my 981,  previous models suffer badly from disk corrosion if the brakes aren't fully dry when put away.  For me it was the inside face of the front disks that seemed the most prone to bad corrosion.   I now always make sure I take the car for a run after washing and make sure the brakes get hot enough to dry - same if coming back from driving in the wet.  

(Not wanting to distract this thread again, afaik the issue with fitting non Porsche items is a condition of the OPC supplied extended warrantee - for the initial manufacturer's warrantee it's not such an issue).  Do get the grills though.  I didn't and was advised during my 111 point check the A/C condenser on one side was damaged and although probably not leaking they advised replacement (not covered under warrantee) and wanted a cool £1,000+ (for one!).   I opted to leave it and fit the grills to prevent any further damage - car looks better for it too :-)

Further to the above, I booked my Boxster in for its first service at OPC Colchester today and mentioned the issue of the Zunsport grilles.  The Service Advisor to whom I spoke didn't see any problem with them, so I'll leave them in place.

First impressions of OPC Colchester are good: very efficient and straightforward,  with a loan car offered.  They even offered to collect and return my car, a round trip of 120 miles!  I declined this as we have family in the area so we'll take the opportunity  to visit them on the day.   I'll report back as to how it all goes afterwards.  (It's booked in for 27th October: the delay due to us being away on holiday for two weeks in the interim.)

Archived