My really nerdy guide to buying a Boxster

vroomba

Having owned a 986 Boxster for 2 years here’s my guide to getting a good one.

I’ll go through how much you should expect to pay, clarify what maintenance items it should have had done, detail common problems and highlight the changes and revisions over the years.

I've also thoroughly researched the IMS bearing failure issue and my guide explains how to avoid getting caught out and ending up with a broken engine.

I'm sure this will prove to be an extremely useful resource for anyone looking to buy a 986. I just wish you had made it before I started my search for a Boxster, it would have given me more confidence in what I what I was looking out for.  

Excellent bit of work ?

Great video, one regret I have is not taking the car for a longer and faster test drive, it handles fine up to 65 - 70 but gets very lary after that. Hopefully when I get it back from Revolution those issues will be gone, unfortunately so will a signicant part of my bank balance.

Terry

You're local Porsche dealership won't change the bearing for you, they want to change the whole shaft, the bearing is.nt listed seperately.

Indies are the only way for that

I think cooling system needs a serious attention at least after 50k. Radiators, coolant tank (with new cap) and ideally in some cases oil cooler needs serious attention after that mileage/10 years old. These are not expensive items but obviously pretty essential to the engine's life. I would also add, New Thermostat (ideally low temp thermostat), after 50k at least :)

I'm sure that guide will be useful for any newbies to the forum who haven't yet bought their Boxster.

I especially enjoyed the video it showed me afterwards, (was the Boxster S Vs Fiesta ST comparison test) the 0-60-0 test was a particular surprise to me.

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but when you get to the whiteboard section at the end, you have mis-spelt Boxster, seems like the footage was already edited due to a scoring discrepancy, so unfortunate that you did not pick up on the spelling at that point. Video was enjoyable and informative though and this doesn't really take away from that, just a little embarrassing I guess.     

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, vroomba said:

@DaffyMine is now for sale if you're still interested.   

Thanks for the tag. Great example, but sadly out of my budget. Best of luck with the sale. Exactly the type of fastidious owner I'm hoping to buy from. 

Archived