a few fuel facts

alank

My son works for a major fuel company refinery. This week he has been talking to a fuel expert from the USA and he was discussing fuel octane rating and supermarket fuel.

Basically a car is designed to run on a specific fuel octane which is derived from the stroke and compression ratios of the engine, etc. If a manufacturer specifies 95 octane , their is no gains at all in running it on the more expensive 98 octane fuel, (just losses in the wallet department)

Regarding Supermarket fuels, they have NO additives to clean /keep clean your engine at all, compared with , say a BP garages standard fuel. So the couple of pence saving from a supermarket, suddenly does not look that appealing. At the time of writing this I am not sure what my S uses, or any other Porsche , and perhaps everyone uses the good stuff anyway. Just thought I'd pass on the info.  cheers Alan

Ah, the old fuel debate.  In my opinion:

It's true, there is no advantage in using 98 ron in a car such as my Civic Type R which is mapped to run 95 ron - unless you get it re-mapped of course.

Beware of garages with slow moving 98 ron stock, this degrades from 98 to 95 ron in about a month.  Curiously 95 ron takes much longer to degrade further.

The fuel in this country is pretty good quality, car injectors which can clog are designed to run on worse fuel than the poorest available here and petrol is a solvent anyway. A mass spectrometer will show no difference between branded and supermarket fuel so it's difficult to imagine what these additives are?

In my mind at least, my car seems to run poorer with Morrisons, Asda and Tesco 95 ron but is fine with Sainsburys. 

Very little science available to back up the extra cost in my opinion.

37 minutes ago, EXY said:

IIRC a Boxster has 99RON on the inside of the fuel flap.

Max we can get here is 98, so fek that for a game of soldiers:(

Deffo 98. Well, a 2000 986S is anyway. :)

Cheers, Baggers.

11 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

In my opinion:

It's true, there is no advantage in using 98 ron in a car such as my Civic Type R which is mapped to run 95 ron - unless you get it re-mapped of course.

Au contraire mon ami.

I've always found that even in low powered cars I get better economy from Momentum compared to the standard offering from Tesco.  You don't notice a difference in performance, but 10% better mileage to the tank outweighs the 8% increase in price.

I noticed a 1 mpg increase, at best, for the extra cost when I did my 4000 mile on 95 Ron and 4000 mile on Super 'test'...not worth the price IMHO (unless it's a weekend car and you like to pamper it)....for those that use as DD's the extra cost of 10000 miles of Super, its overpriced snake oil...

there...now sit back with the popcorn...

12 hours ago, Araf said:

Au contraire mon ami.

I've always found that even in low powered cars I get better economy from Momentum compared to the standard offering from Tesco.  You don't notice a difference in performance, but 10% better mileage to the tank outweighs the 8% increase in price.

I tried Momentum and V-Power and the MPG gains were negligible, nowhere near 10% although I use Sainsburys fuel, not Tesco.

23 hours ago, EXY said:

IIRC a Boxster has 99RON on the inside of the fuel flap.

Max we can get here is 98, so fek that for a game of soldiers:(

I think also @Exy south of the border its all 95?

When we picked up the 997.2 from the OPC I asked where the nearest high octane fuel station was, to be told 'dunno we put 95 in!!' (but remember you still need Porsche windscreen wipers or your warranty is void and the car is likely to explode)

15 hours ago, RCS said:

I think also @Exy south of the border its all 95?

When we picked up the 997.2 from the OPC I asked where the nearest high octane fuel station was, to be told 'dunno we put 95 in!!' (but remember you still need Porsche windscreen wipers or your warranty is void and the car is likely to explode)

Yep, 95 or Diesel are your options LOL.

I was 1 high it is 98 and 97 available here :(

Don't forget a Bosch battery will also affect the performance thereby invalidating your Porsche warranty ;)

Archived