Coolant level issue... advice please!

AnthonyH

Hi all. I have a 2003 boxster 2.7 with 54000 miles on the clock. The coolant light on the dash started flashing so I checked the coolant level. It was down so I filled it to 'max' using 1.5 litres of fluid. 1 week later I have checked the level and it has gone down again, this time by about 0.5 litres. The engine doesn't overheat, the oil seems clean, the coolant fluid is clean & there's no smoke out of the rear. The only thing I have noticed is moisture around the coolant lid compartment/ boot lid. Any suggestions on what this may be? Many thanks Anthony.

Common problem, may be the coolant cap needs to be changed to an updated one, I get alot of condensation aswell but am not loosing much coolant at all.

Might be a leak, Check underneath the covers in the boot to see if the coolant has leaked down into there, if there is coolant there you need to look into the actual container leaking or a hose.

Thanks for your reply. I've ordered a new coolant lid now so fingers crossed that will fix it. I did notice a couple of white looking water marks around the side of expansion tank, but it wasn't damp around the bottom. Perhaps overflow from the lid? Cheers Anthony 

I replaced my cap to the latest part number ending 04. This solved the condensation above the tank, but now I've got a significant dripping leak up front. I'll investigate mine next week and report back with my mechanics findings.

You have a leak somewhere so it's just a matter of finding out where.   Common places are the front radiators and water pump but if you'd lost a litre or more from the front you'd expect to see evidence of it on the drive.   The next most likely is the coolant overflow tank has split and the coolant is leaking into the boot space.   This could explain why you've not found coolant on the drive.  Pull the carpets and coverings from the rear boot and look for evidence of moisture.   It can absorb a fair bit down there so that is my guess where you'll find the problem. 

The rads are famous for collecting crud that rots them over time and leads to leaks. My first boxster had this problem. Cheap fix, replaced the rad.

it started fairly small and then became obvious. Glad it was nothing more serious. 

Archived