Which battery?

giltranator

Afternoon all,

I have performed a search which gave a few results but was looking to get the latest views...

The battery in my car needs replacing as you would expect after being off of the road for 4 years. Which battery would you recommend for a 986 Boxster S (2000)? Car will mostly be used at weekends with a  charger connected through the week. I was looking at the Bosch range but wasn't sure whether going for the S5 over the S4 would be worth it. 

Next question, where would the best place be to buy the battery? Euro Car Parts seem to be offering the S5 for £107 after discount. 

Good news on the car is that the engine is now running again. However, I had the seatbelts rewebbed and they now seem to be locked in the retracted position. As the car needs an MOT before I can collect it i'll need to get this sorted first. I also have a delay with the wheels as the colour went funny in the oven (green tinge) so they aren't going to be ready until the end of next week unfortunately. Almost there though! 

Try eurocarparts ebay store, they are generally much cheaper there. Also try searching online in general. Not sure about the S4 vs S5. Exide is also a good brand, but I think they are a bit smaller than Bosch.

S4 in mine too. Few years old and still perfect. Not died on me once. Cranks the car nice and strong. I do trickle charge it if not being used for a week or so though to keep it conditioned. 

ECP always have 20-30% discount codes running, so you'll get one for sensible money with click and collect. 

I picked up a 110 S5 (85Ah) for around £95 earlier in the year from ebay.

Be careful as eurocarparts and some other sites may offer you a 100 S4, which is only 72Ah I believe, and there is a 100 S5 which is 74Ah, the 110 S4 is 80Ah I think, so worth checking carefully exactly what you are getting before making the purchase.

I pulled out a dead Yuasa which was 75Ah from mine, but haven't noticed any appreciative difference. I'm hoping it will last a bit longer tho, as I don't think Yuasa's have been sold in the UK for that long.

5 hours ago, Tex24v said:

I picked up a 110 S5 (85Ah) for around £95 earlier in the year from ebay.

Be careful as eurocarparts and some other sites may offer you a 100 S4, which is only 72Ah I believe, and there is a 100 S5 which is 74Ah, the 110 S4 is 80Ah I think, so worth checking carefully exactly what you are getting before making the purchase.

I pulled out a dead Yuasa which was 75Ah from mine, but haven't noticed any appreciative difference. I'm hoping it will last a bit longer tho, as I don't think Yuasa's have been sold in the UK for that long.

I doubt you would notice the difference in capacity, the cold crank amps (CCA) - that you might notice during the winter months.

Archived