What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

I gave mine a good clean then drove round my mates to show it off. Didn't stay long when I say what was on his drive. 

w2ki87Z.jpg

PS it's actually his wife's car as he can't drive as you can guess from the number plate.

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:45 PM, Sazzy said:

Talking about painful, I asked a dent removal guy how much he charges (without seeing the car) and he said £220! ?

On 5/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, golfprorich said:

Try elsewhere!! I asked a 'named brand' dent removal company how much to sort a small dent, they were around £200 as well. So I spoke to the bodyshop who eventually painted my bumper and the chap they use for minor dents did it for £50, only took him 15 mins and the job was perfect. I'd ask at your nearest indy who they use for dents :)

Agreed. I use a local guy; DentPusher. Nice chap and excellent workmanship at a reasonable price.

• Thanks 1

My Boxster passed its annual ITV (MOT) today - only 6 months overdue and 1500km done in the last 18months. Always a nerve wracking day where the test is as much about conforming to the standard car spec, as it is about vehicle condition. Luckily for me, they did not pick up on the wheel spacers (my stealth black paint job maybe helped?) after market spoiler, lower rear splitter and aluminium pedals. I think they were so pre occupied on spotting the 18" wheels and different tyres from what they thought it should have - even though it left the factory with them on. Next time it could fail for any one of the afore mentioned modifications, it is such a subjective test and depends on who does it and how thorough they are.

Bit different from the UK though. Where I go is the main centre for Malaga and there are about 100 cars, trucks and all kinds of vehicles and owners nervously waiting at any one time, waiting to be called to one of the 9 lanes where they are processed conveyer belt style. The driver stays in the car and moves it on to each of the points where checks are completed.

Think I may get new rear discs soon as I struggled to get enough stopping power on the rollers with the rear wheels. Also the emissions were a little concerning. The fast idle lamda reading was just not going under the 1.03 limit. Fortunately a fellow worker saw what was happening and helped by grabbing a roll of paper and sticking it in the exhaust and holding it there with her foot! This had the desired effect and the lamda came down to 1.03 lol. I guess this put the engine under more load? Another alarming moment was when they asked me to squirt the headlamp washers (they never bothered about the windscreen!)  I duly squirted and a huge anount of water and foam shot out, as did one of the nozzles and it flew past the testers! Have never used them before and will not do so again with the roof down lol.

I think old fuel and lack of use did not help the emissions. Should have filled up with new before the test as there was just a dribble in the tank from many weeks earlier and the range was way down on 40km. 

Overall delighted to have the ticket for another year.

Removed the hardtop and deposited it in my storage unit. Then went for a drive to the coast along past Beachy Head

Finally got round to replacing the Boxster's front springs, struts and top mounts today. Two broken springs within a couple of days highlights the appaling state of Britain's roads. It seems the last time Oxfordshire County Council actually re-surfaced any roads properly was back in the 1980s.

Snow foamed, 2 bucket wash, AG super resin polish and AG fast waxed :).

Also treated all the leather inside and cleaned down the engine bay and covers.Carpet cover looks millions times better now.

Car has started locking and unlocking randomly with a double beep so I think a door lock is sticking??

Now time for Guinness me thinks!

Just ordered 4 new Brembo discs and 4 sets of Brembo pads, 10 litres Shell Helix oil and a Mann oil filter from Carparts4less. £295 including delivery so not too bad. Will do all the work myself.

Edited by el 3.2S
  • Like 1

Painted the top hats and re-fitted my Sport Classics refurbished by Excel Wheels. Had quite a strong desire to paint the balance weights to match the wheels, this OCD is catching ?

8QilU4G.jpg

1 minute ago, Topbox said:

Painted the top hats and re-fitted my Sport Classics refurbished by Excel Wheels. Had quite a strong desire to paint the balance weights to match the wheels, this OCD is catching ?

8QilU4G.jpg

Looks great ?

If you had extreme OCD you would have asked Excel to paint and laquer the wheel weights to match the wheels before fitting and then balancing them ??

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bluepork03 said:

Is that a broken drive cable caused that?

Yep, absolutely sheared off. There was a disturbingly loud bang as the left hand side came off of it's runner! Was an absolute nightmare to remove the clamshell as just couldn't get access on the right hand side and at that point I didn't know what was wrong :mellow:

8 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Yep, absolutely sheared off. There was a disturbingly loud bang as the left hand side came off of it's runner! Was an absolute nightmare to remove the clamshell as just couldn't get access on the right hand side and at that point I didn't know what was wrong :mellow:

Jeez hope it hasn't damaged the paint. Why do you think it failed? 

Edited by Clivescoobydo

4 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Yikes!  What’s the plan to fix that?

6 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Jeez hope it hasn't damaged the paint. Why do think it failed? 

No paint damage thankfully, I'm not sure, but looking online it doesn't seem to be an uncommon fault for these cables to fail over time.

6 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Yikes!  What’s the plan to fix that?

Will ring OPC tomorrow and order a cable. I don't think refitting the cable looks too bad, it's going to be getting everything perfectly re aligned that's going to be a challenge.

Supposed to be driving to Sussex in it on Thursday eve so looks like that won't happen now.