What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, Patt said:

pop up spoiler should not be activated if you have the fixed Aero wing.  

Only time it should be up is when you need to remove the rear bumper

is there any reason this would be a problem if the spoiler is in the up position and deactivated in that position , and only used for around town driving? 

44 minutes ago, Dan944 said:

is there any reason this would be a problem if the spoiler is in the up position and deactivated in that position , and only used for around town driving? 

Aerodynamically it would create a blockage and a high pressure area under the upper spoiler.  At low speed not an issue and would show the additional graphic nicely, but if left up in error it could create lift as well as a lot of drag with the air under the wing having nowhere to escape to other than a fairly narrow slot under the wing.  Basically the two devises work in a contrary ways; the wing creates downforce (or reduces lift at least) minimising drag and conditioning the airflow, whereas the spoiler disrupts airflow where the body shape would generate lift but creating a fence for the air to trip over causing drag by increasing the size of the wake trailing the vehicle.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Aerodynamically it would create a blockage and a high pressure area under the upper spoiler.  At low speed not an issue and would show the additional graphic nicely, but if left up in error it could create lift as well as a lot of drag with the air under the wing having nowhere to escape to other than a fairly narrow slot under the wing.  Basically the two devises work in a contrary ways; the wing creates downforce (or reduces lift at least) minimising drag and conditioning the airflow, whereas the spoiler disrupts airflow where the body shape would generate lift but creating a fence for the air to trip over causing drag by increasing the size of the wake trailing the vehicle.

all understood 😉👍

1 hour ago, Theo86 said:

Pelican maintenance book says 1 hour to replace fuel filter. I was at least double that. First time doing this job so learnt alot. Datestamp on old filter was 2004...another job off the list.

well done, that’s my next service item. any tips? i understand it’s under pipe work but to be fair havnt looked for it yet just remember seeing it in a picture once 

1 hour ago, Dan944 said:

well done, that’s my next service item. any tips? i understand it’s under pipe work but to be fair havnt looked for it yet just remember seeing it in a picture once 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/04-BASICS-Fuel_Filter/04-BASICS-Fuel_Filter.htm

I have the car up on 4 axle stands...would have been better if it was up another notch or two for more space.

Follow the guide listed above, but I also removed the bolts on the cooling pipes nearer the front of the car as this allows more wiggle movement. I also release two clips along the fuel pipe route.

The fuel filter connections are squeeze fit which is good to know. I manage to remove the filter from the fuel pipes with minimal spillage, until it actually came to removing it between the two pipes..splash!

Going to refresh the undertray too..

Enjoy...

32 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/04-BASICS-Fuel_Filter/04-BASICS-Fuel_Filter.htm

I have the car up on 4 axle stands...would have been better if it was up another notch or two for more space.

Follow the guide listed above, but I also removed the bolts on the cooling pipes nearer the front of the car as this allows more wiggle movement. I also release two clips along the fuel pipe route.

The fuel filter connections are squeeze fit which is good to know. I manage to remove the filter from the fuel pipes with minimal spillage, until it actually came to removing it between the two pipes..splash!

Going to refresh the undertray too..

Enjoy...

thanks for this 👍

Cleaned and conditioned the roof today. Came out nice. Also, finally had the time and all the bits in one place to replace the left hand frunk hinge. The car when I bought it had only one gas strut in the front trunk because the left hand side hinge was bent and the little bobble for the gas strut broken off. Got a set of two replacement hinges from Steve Strange and fitted the left one today. Very satisfying to not have to use a broom to hold the bonnet up anymore. :)

Also, this just reinforced for me how well these cars are designed. I was fully expecting to spend hours trying to align the bonnet properly again. I took the precaution of sticking little bits of insulating tape over the panel gaps and then cutting them in half so that I have enough visual references to fine-tune the process (having learnt the hard way on one of my old cars). Once I had the old hinge off and had put the replacement on with all the bolts just finger tight, I closed the bonnet to check how much I have to adjust....lo and behold, everything lined up perfectly! And I do mean perfectly. I just tightened the bolts and checked again before removing the insulating tape. Absolutely perfect. The whole job took about 10 mins in total. I guess this means that even though it looks like you're going to struggle with something in this car it doesn't mean you will. Just amazingly well designed really. Very pleased, and I now have a spare hinge for the right hand side if I ever need one :)

Nice work @Mark Lane, that looks very good👍. It's on my list of things to do (eventually) ;).

Today I turned this.....

w2IALS3.jpg?1

into this.....

dxk7et1.jpg?1

to fit this.....

eZ4zSr8.jpg

I was fed up with the clunky Windows-based Xtrons unit that I'd fitted a few years ago, so went for the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB having read good reviews both online and this forum.

Unfortunately the aluminium plate surround that I'd made and sprayed for the old unit didn't fit the Pioneer, so rather than buy the surround made for 986 which doesn't allow the use of the cup-holders, I decided to go DIY with some 10mm Perspex. Took a while to route it out this morning, but I wanted it to be a tight fit so that I don't need to use anything else to attach it.

Next up is the outer surround, which I'll probably do body-coloured to match the recently refurbished centre console. :thumbsup_still:

2 minutes ago, V6reu said:

I got a surround for my kenwood double din of eBay and works with cup holders 

Don't suppose you have a link? I couldn't find one that would work with mine without buying the whole install kit :(

Edited by Bluepork03

2 minutes ago, V6reu said:

Thanks. I think that's one of the ones I was looking at, but didn't want to spend £60 when I only needed the surround. The other I looked at (surround only) specified that it wouldn't work with the cup-holders.

3 minutes ago, Bluepork03 said:

Thanks. I think that's one of the ones I was looking at, but didn't want to spend £60 when I only needed the surround. The other I looked at (surround only) specified that it wouldn't work with the cup-holders.

they might sell it on its own if you contact the seller , i just wanted it to look right and it does fit nicely 

Fitted new front ARB bushes.  Noted that the ARB is quite corroded and is lifting the power coat finish.  Might be tempted to get it off, sand blast and re-powder coat when I can get to suppliers who can do this.

Failed to loosen front top nuts on struts to allow spring (one is broken) and bump stop (both perished) replacement.  Gave up and ordered impact wrench, been a bit cheeky and ordered one that uses the same Makita battery as some tools I'm supplied with for work. to keep the cost down.  However took the time to wire brush off and spray up the damper units whilst I've got it all apart.

Today I have fitted the large diameter aircon pipe running from the engine bay to near the battery. What a job... the rear aluminium coupling/ steel cap head was fused and the vertical section behind the charcoal canister was a nightmare 

27 minutes ago, edc said:

The finish looks good but what colour is that, it's hard to tell. 

It’s Plastidip with Matt black paint on top.

A picture can tell a 1000 lies, lol.  It’s not a bad finish really 

Edited by Sanky

Gave the engine bay a quick clean and new air filter fitted

Engine was given a quick wd40 oily rag wipe over.as it's never seen that's good enough

It wasn't too mucky, last opened in 2018 

never in my life has changing an air filter taken half an hour 😂:rocks:20200420_104329.jpg20200420_104309.jpg20200420_104254.jpgbut I did clean the drains and lubricate the roof mechanism, nice smooth action now 

Edited by stevemag