What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Installed the hard top kit. Pretty straightforward as long as you employ the plastic bag trick. If I hadn't I am very sure I would have dropped the bolts somewhere inaccessible. 

I did struggle a bit to get the bolt started in the hole but it seems the secret is to go in quite hard and turn until it really can't turn anymore. That's when it sits flush and won't catch the roof mechanism when you open the soft top. 

All good now and I'm looking forward to getting the hard top on it. I still have to rig something in the roof of my garage so it can be suspended (not enough room for the top to stand on a trolley looking pretty) but I'll do that once I have collected the thing. I may have to get the roof resprayed but we'll see.

The other thing I'm planning this weekend is to install mesh in the bumper intakes and fit a new Outside Air Temperature sensor.

4 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

All good now and I'm looking forward to getting the hard top on it. I still have to rig something in the roof of my garage so it can be suspended (not enough room for the top to stand on a trolley looking pretty) but I'll do that once I have collected the thing.

I’d love to see what you come up with for storage. I have mine in a bag on a trolley and it does take up quite a bit of space.

• Like 1

What about a couple of suckers on a pulley? Seasucker or even those jobs they use to move windows or porcelain slabs or worktops? I'd use at least 2 though 😆

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:42 PM, edc said:

What about a couple of suckers on a pulley? Seasucker or even those jobs they use to move windows or porcelain slabs or worktops? I'd use at least 2 though 😆

That's a great idea. I'll give it some thought over the next week or two and make a plan. I certainly don't have the room to have it standing around in the garage.

I also thought I had a touch-up kit to deal with the scratches - and I do, but do you think I can find it? :( So, I have ordered a new touch-up kit (£6.49) and will deal with the scratches when it gets here. 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:42 PM, edc said:

This is a good idea (and sort of what I would like to achieve). I am just too cheap to pay that much for it..

Porsche Boxster 986 Hardtop Storage Lift * Hardtop Accessories | Cabrio Supply

We used to have a mirror dinghy in the garage. Basically it was kept up above the car by two ropes (one either side) which went front to back in the garage with metal eyes (wrong name) attached to a cradle made of two pieces of wood (and a support to keep them apart) and then the boat was put on top and pulled up into the roof, then was just tied off on a cleat screwed to the garage wall. If I was to do it again i would have pulleys rather than the metal eyes, as it would move more smoothly. Cheap and cheerful but did the job for about 10 years. If you could get hold of a pallet, that would probably make it even easier.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:46 AM, pacificjuha said:

Removed fron bumper. Cleaned radiators and replaced the A/C condensers with a now ones.

Last time I cleaned the radiators was 1.5 years ago and there were again plenty of leaves and other 'stuff'.. Need to do this annually from now on.

gwT9cOz.jpg

tixDAgh.jpg

t2IAwpy.jpg

I've got my two condensers and THINK I have a list (and part numbers) of everything I need, but if you still have the info, and where you got your 'extras' I would be most grateful. 

1 hour ago, 999mch said:

We used to have a mirror dinghy in the garage. Basically it was kept up above the car by two ropes (one either side) which went front to back in the garage with metal eyes (wrong name) attached to a cradle made of two pieces of wood (and a support to keep them apart) and then the boat was put on top and pulled up into the roof, then was just tied off on a cleat screwed to the garage wall. If I was to do it again i would have pulleys rather than the metal eyes, as it would move more smoothly. Cheap and cheerful but did the job for about 10 years. If you could get hold of a pallet, that would probably make it even easier.

A pallet is a great idea. I am leaning towards using the suction tools on the roof but I would want some sort of a safety net under it just in case the suction tools fail (I'm sure it won't but you never know....)

3 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

I've got my two condensers and THINK I have a list (and part numbers) of everything I need, but if you still have the info, and where you got your 'extras' I would be most grateful. 

Only parts I needed as extras were these seals.

Part nro: 999 707 250 40 x 4 each
Description: O-ring 10,6X2
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:21 PM, deanmr2 said:

I bought the head unit from a Norwegian company called Bergvill F/X they were really good to deal with and it only took 2 days from ordering to delivery. They have a good website and a choice of different Continental units for sale some with DAB, CD player etc. Their prices seemed ok but you do have to pay an import tax and good old UK vat. I also bought an adapter harness from them to make the fitting plug and play.

I have looked at their website and am considering either the CD7416UB-OR or CDD7418UB-OR but I can't see that much of a difference other than price between the two. My current Kenwood unit can handle two mobile phones so whichever phone rings comes through the unit and I don't have to constantly pair and unpair between work and private mobile (which is handy). I can't see that this one does the same. I'll ask them the question and see what they come back to me with before I order.

I think it would look sooooo much better than what I currently have.

9 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I have looked at their website and am considering either the CD7416UB-OR or CDD7418UB-OR but I can't see that much of a difference other than price between the two. My current Kenwood unit can handle two mobile phones so whichever phone rings comes through the unit and I don't have to constantly pair and unpair between work and private mobile (which is handy). I can't see that this one does the same. I'll ask them the question and see what they come back to me with before I order.

I think it would look sooooo much better than what I currently have.

Also, sorry to be a pain but does the lighting on the unit dim with the binnacle lights?

20 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Also, sorry to be a pain but does the lighting on the unit dim with the binnacle lights?

Unfortunately not the Continentals do not dim with the binnacle lights and I don’t know if they can be paired with more than 1 phone so I would email them and ask the question, they replied to me pretty quickly when I contacted them. Having lived with mine for about a month now I am still very happy with the Continental and anyone who has seen it fitted to my Boxster has commented that it looks stock  which is the look I was trying to achieve 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deanmr2 said:

Unfortunately not the Continentals do not dim with the binnacle lights and I don’t know if they can be paired with more than 1 phone so I would email them and ask the question, they replied to me pretty quickly when I contacted them. Having lived with mine for about a month now I am still very happy with the Continental and anyone who has seen it fitted to my Boxster has commented that it looks stock  which is the look I was trying to achieve 

Whilst it may not pick up from the standard wiring, does the unit not have a separate wire than can be connected on the side lights circuit to activate dimming?

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Whilst it may not pick up from the standard wiring, does the unit not have a separate wire than can be connected on the side lights circuit to activate dimming?

When it comes to electrics I am happy to leave it to experts. I'm okay with mechanical stuff and can figure most things out but electrics is Greek to me.

2 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

When it comes to electrics I am happy to leave it to experts. I'm okay with mechanical stuff and can figure most things out but electrics is Greek to me.

Done a little research, the cable off connector A pin 6 is the illumination wire.  Splice (or @RedBarediver get someone else) this to the side light circuit and you should get dimming when headlights are on, but this only applies to the top end model, TRD7412UB-OR. 

Can't see in the specs whether one or two phone can be active simultaneously.  If not this would be a barrier to me getting one of these series of head units.

Edited by ½cwt

I have heard back from them (they're quite quick) and they confirmed that you cannot connect two phones simultaneously. That's not a deal breaker in all honesty. Reading the installation guide on their website it seems that their model TRD7412 also has the facility of dimming the backlight on the unit.

"The new model TRD7412 head unit have the possibility to dim the LCD backlight, depending on the Illumination
power input and a menu setting. In practise, this unit can dim the LCD backlight when it is dark and the lights are
on
."

I guess I would still have to ensure it is correctly wired but at least I know it can be done.

Edited by RedBarediver

Had a pleasant surprise whilst out on a quick trip with The Better ½ yesterday.  At a traffic light an thumbs up for the Boxster from a chap on a very nice Triumph sports bike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I have heard back from them (they're quite quick) and they confirmed that you cannot connect two phones simultaneously. That's not a deal breaker in all honesty. Reading the installation guide on their website it seems that their model TRD7412 also has the facility of dimming the backlight on the unit.

"The new model TRD7412 head unit have the possibility to dim the LCD backlight, depending on the Illumination
power input and a menu setting. In practise, this unit can dim the LCD backlight when it is dark and the lights are
on
."

I guess I would still have to ensure it is correctly wired but at least I know it can be done.

Yeah as I said before they are very quick at getting back to you with answers to any questions you have. Was it Tore who replied to you? He appears to be the company owner and seems very hands on.

15 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Yeah as I said before they are very quick at getting back to you with answers to any questions you have. Was it Tore who replied to you? He appears to be the company owner and seems very hands on.

Yes, it was Tore. They seem to be a good outfit.

I noticed they sold the Porsche sticker after my head unit arrived but I would have ordered one along with the hu if I had known about them as I think it would just finish off the stock look 

• Like 1

Replaced a tail light bulb.

The car has done about 900 miles in the past week, and has been pretty much faultless, aside from getting a pebble caught in one of the brakes - just as I was meeting with some guys from the local TIPEC group. Sorted itself out after a mile or so though.

Yorkshire > Banbury (Tutthill) > Yorkshire > Goodwood > Central London and back home to Gods Own County. Averaged about 35mpg which seemed pretty good.

Went with The Better ½ to visit some friends for a summer evening dinner.  About a 90 mile round trip up into Rutland.  Nothing quite like an evening drive into dusk with the roof down.

• Like 7