What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Drove off a DFDS ferry at Dover after a fraction short of 1000km in Europe. Now for 180 miles back to Northamptonshire to complete nearly 1,000 miles in the last 4 days.

1 hour ago, Ken986 said:

I’m currently in the middle of fitting PCCM Plus to mine .

Fortunately I have access to the workshop info but it’s a bit of a challenge .

Am interested to see how you get on with this. Photos and the like of installs and upgrades always welcome on this forum. 

2 hours ago, map said:

Am interested to see how you get on with this. Photos and the like of installs and upgrades always welcome on this forum. 

To be honest I would love to include photos but I’ve given up trying to add them . I use an iPhone and even though I’ve followed the instructions I still fail to proceed 🙁
Once  I’ve completed it I will do a follow up as I have found a couple of things that need to be addressed.

Yesterday I clicked past 10,000 miles since I got the car in March last year, including 2,000 in the past month.

Few minor jobs, an occasional metallic rattle that I’d been chasing for months got worse - more investigation led me to an exhaust mounting bolt that had shed its nut, and another that was loose, so those are now tightened and secured with a second nut. Tightened up anything else I could reach while I was there.

Having recently noticed some unpleasant noises on phone calls I opted to replace the front speakers; bought some spare front speakers for the housings, brackets from @SuperPaulie along with some Alpine speakers and wiring adapters.

The acoustic  felt was knackered in the new speaker housings so I cleaned all of that out. The brackets made the job pretty easy, really nice work.

bK1Sfh7S.jpg

While I was messing about with the stereo I decided to try to improve the fit of the Connects2 double DIN fascia adaptor. Cue removing the vent assembly and spending  quite a while trimming back the material until the fascia would sit flush. I’m much happier with how it looks, but I think for next time I’d go with the Metra fascia.

• Like 1

Got this shot of mine in Dordretch in Netherlands from Friday with a yellow 'cousin' sneakily parked in the background.  (Yes, I did frame it deliberately otherwise I'd have 'hidden' the bike with my car)

Xn0FELV.jpg 

Edited by ½cwt

On 7/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, ½cwt said:

Yep, hold time knob to the left for a count of 5 and watch it change a 106k mile car to a 171k km car. Always a shock that one!

Switched back but now its a 107k mile car...

Leaving headlight in T position as I go to France with it in 3 weeks and won't be doing much night driving in the meantime.

Also noted that the new ignition switch is not always popping unless I whip the key out quite quickly.  Might go for the new barrel assembly to cover off all options, particularly as local OPC rather surprisingly has one in stock!

• Like 1

Bought myself the Bentley's manual off eBay. Been meaning to get one for ages and saw one (advertised as new...) so I grabbed it.

I'm going through an internal struggle at the moment because I have next week off work. Not going anywhere and I'm planning on spending the whole week playing with the car (I know, I know but it's the only 25 year old German girlfriend I'm ever likely to have...). My struggle is this; do I get the centre console delete kit, and the new radio as well? I have the exhaust to replace and a few other bits and bobs to do which should keep me fairly busy next week.

It would be very satisfying to get the radio working properly, and to have enough leg room for a change. Please note; I am not asking for advice because I know what everyone on this forum will say. I have enough little bits of car lying about in my garage and in my study at the moment. I don't want any more until I have at least cleared some of the backlog.

Decisions, decisions.

Edited to say that unbeknownst to me the Bentley's book is being shipped from the USA. Damnit! That means I am going to have to pay import duties. I checked and the below is the details of the seller on eBay. I've been stung with import duties before and I specifically checked to see if it is sold from the UK :( 

image.png.08067a344fc88dfedaad52c5fc9881d6.png

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Bought myself the Bentley's manual off eBay. Been meaning to get one for ages and saw one (advertised as new...) so I grabbed it.

I'm going through an internal struggle at the moment because I have next week off work. Not going anywhere and I'm planning on spending the whole week playing with the car (I know, I know but it's the only 25 year old German girlfriend I'm ever likely to have...). My struggle is this; do I get the centre console delete kit, and the new radio as well? I have the exhaust to replace and a few other bits and bobs to do which should keep me fairly busy next week.

It would be very satisfying to get the radio working properly, and to have enough leg room for a change. Please note; I am not asking for advice because I know what everyone on this forum will say. I have enough little bits of car lying about in my garage and in my study at the moment. I don't want any more until I have at least cleared some of the backlog.

Decisions, decisions.

Edited to say that unbeknownst to me the Bentley's book is being shipped from the USA. Damnit! That means I am going to have to pay import duties. I checked and the below is the details of the seller on eBay. I've been stung with import duties before and I specifically checked to see if it is sold from the UK :( 

As you know we can spend every penny of yours and more on your car here on BoXa.net...  Tidy up the incomplete bits would be my approach, then do a list of critical, then necessary, then nice to have bits and put a budget against them.  Then put them in and order you can afford, as long as they are not critical!

• Like 1

@RedBarediver  I would advise taking out the centre console and driving the car about. Some people have said that it doesn't give you anywhere to rest your leg and can get in the way of the gearstick.  So might be worth having a test run before you spend the cash.

If your book is coming from USA, you need to report the seller.  Ebay might be able to step in and get the import fees refunded.

Edited by Daboy3000

21 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Decisions, decisions.

Ebay should be able to help you with this if it's been missed as being in the uk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

@RedBarediver  I would advise taking out the centre console and driving the car about. Some people have said that it doesn't give you anywhere to rest your leg and can get in the way of the gearstick.  So might be worth having a test run before you spend the cash.

If your book is coming from USA, you need to report the seller.  Ebay might be able to step in and get the import fees refunded.

Yes, I plan to. I am pretty sure I shall be happy with more legroom though. At the moment it's not too bad but driving for more than an hour I really miss being able to move my leg. It's stuck in one position all the time.

Re the book; I am really annoyed because I checked and it clearly stated the book is despatched from the UK. If there's any import duties to pay I shall complain to eBay and they can make the seller refund me the import duties.

2 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Ebay should be able to help you with this if it's been missed as being in the uk.

Totally misleading description for the book - clearly had it advertised as being shipped from the UK. Maybe they import it to their place of business and then send on from there. (doubt it though)

Drove her to work and back yesterday and today.  Have only owned her since April, had some suspension work, servicing etc done.  So nice to just get in and enjoy her now.  Financially Boxster ownership makes little sense for me, especially as she is just a weekend blaster but none of that matters when you are behind the wheel with the sun shining.  

• Like 4

Totally with you Winster I have a business to run and a four year old and we're in between houses so I don't even have anywhere to keep it or work on it but who cares you're here for a good time not a long time and if the cr*p hits the fan you can always flog it.  When the suns shining and the hoods down it all makes sense.

• Like 2

I replaced my front tuning forks, which were surprisingly easy, the second one took me 15 minutes.  I did intend to do the coffin arms at the same time but don't have the confidence to do them safely on my drive. I just need a bit more room at a lot more height.  Still, my knock on the front has gone so I have ordered some more for the rear.  One of the first mechanical issues I have fixed without any tears, love it when it all goes well.

• Like 4

@Daboy3000 the car is perfectly stable on two axle stands.  If you raise on the rear jacking point, most trolley jacks will give you the clearance to put a stand under the front jacking position and teh nose up attitude this give the car gives enough space to work underneath, but for a tuning for you done need to really.

Just remember to get it aligned as you geo will have moved doing the tuning forks, and most certainly will move when you do the coffin arm.  Also torque it all up in the neutral position, not full droop, by putting a jack under the upright until it just takes the car's weight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Daboy3000 the car is perfectly stable on two axle stands. 

I have two driveway areas, one is concrete but at a slope, the other is clay covered in gravel.  Either places don't give me much room to stretch out. So wish I had a garage and lift.

Once everything is replaced I'll get the alignment done.  Still a few things left till then.

Replaced the eBay Dronemaster with a standard exhaust that I got second hand from one of the guys on here. Probably not the best day to do it seeing as we have just recorded the highest temp on record. I drank about three litres of water whilst I was working and still lost more than 3 kgs in sweat...

I am now sitting down after a cold shower with an ice cold beer so I can tell you all about it :) 

Taking off the dronebox was fairly straightforward. Luckily it had only been on there for about two years so the bolts etc were still fine and would come loose. I did however have to cut the bolts where the support brackets bolt onto the cats. The dronebox had nothing there and the guys who installed the dronebox just cut the support bracket on the old exhaust (probably not realising that the support brackets etc cost over £200 new...). I managed to take the dronebox off without removing the rear bumper and thought to myself "this is a doddle". As soon as I fit the new silencer under the car I realised that there was no other way to get it fitted. The rear bumper cover and bumper will have to come off. Having watched a few YouTube videos leading up to today I was forearmed with knowledge. The only issue I really had was taking off the rear spoiler. Instead of the plastic push fittings that should be there, it was pop-riveted. I drilled out the pop rivets and after that it was fairly straightforward.

I managed to get it all lined up and in place and then just tightened everything. One of the bolts on the bracket between the cat and the elbow stripped so I'll have to replace that but other than that (it blows a little there because I can't tighten it fully) it sounds and looks great!

If anyone wants a dronebox with about 5,000 miles on it you can make me an offer for mine. In fact, if you make a donation to Scotty's Little Soldiers you can have it. I paid £150 for it and got about two years out of it. It sounds great but does drone a bit between about 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. If you're saving up to replace your exhaust with a proper one this one will do you for a few months.

Tomorrow I'll do the front bumper intakes with mesh and replace all the fittings so it sits properly on the car again. The way it sits now offends me to be honest..

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Daboy3000 said:

I have two driveway areas, one is concrete but at a slope, the other is clay covered in gravel.  Either places don't give me much room to stretch out. So wish I had a garage and lift.

Once everything is replaced I'll get the alignment done.  Still a few things left till then.

Take the undertray off, it’s really not tricky but makes accessing the coffin arm bolts much easier.

are you doing the ARB bushes at the same time?

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Replaced the eBay Dronemaster with a standard exhaust that I got second hand from one of the guys on here. Probably not the best day to do it seeing as we have just recorded the highest temp on record. I drank about three litres of water whilst I was working and still lost more than 3 kgs in sweat...

I am now sitting down after a cold shower with an ice cold beer so I can tell you all about it :) 

Taking off the dronebox was fairly straightforward. Luckily it had only been on there for about two years so the bolts etc were still fine and would come loose. I did however have to cut the bolts where the support brackets bolt onto the cats. The dronebox had nothing there and the guys who installed the dronebox just cut the support bracket on the old exhaust (probably not realising that the support brackets etc cost over £200 new...). I managed to take the dronebox off without removing the rear bumper and thought to myself "this is a doddle". As soon as I fit the new silencer under the car I realised that there was no other way to get it fitted. The rear bumper cover and bumper will have to come off. Having watched a few YouTube videos leading up to today I was forearmed with knowledge. The only issue I really had was taking off the rear spoiler. Instead of the plastic push fittings that should be there, it was pop-riveted. I drilled out the pop rivets and after that it was fairly straightforward.

I managed to get it all lined up and in place and then just tightened everything. One of the bolts on the bracket between the cat and the elbow stripped so I'll have to replace that but other than that (it blows a little there because I can't tighten it fully) it sounds and looks great!

If anyone wants a dronebox with about 5,000 miles on it you can make me an offer for mine. In fact, if you make a donation to Scotty's Little Soldiers you can have it. I paid £150 for it and got about two years out of it. It sounds great but does drone a bit between about 2,500 to 3,000 rpm. If you're saving up to replace your exhaust with a proper one this one will do you for a few months.

Tomorrow I'll do the front bumper intakes with mesh and replace all the fittings so it sits properly on the car again. The way it sits now offends me to be honest..

I think you’ll find the car is transformed; best modification I made was putting the standard exhaust back on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

I think you’ll find the car is transformed; best modification I made was putting the standard exhaust back on!

I hope so. Although I just realised I never put the number plate light fitting back on so I have to take the bumper off again tomorrow to sort that out Looking forward to driving it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Take the undertray off, it’s really not tricky but makes accessing the coffin arm bolts much easier.

are you doing the ARB bushes at the same time?

I'm not doing the front coffin arms and ARBs just yet.  Might have a go getting the rear coffin arms off when I do the tuning forks on friday, no doubt the bolt will be stuck.  Is it worth doing the rear ARBs as they look really easy to do?  Starting to run out of funds for now, especially as I am getting a whirring/worn bearing type sound now.  So time to save for a water pump etc and the labour charges for that. 

26 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I'm not doing the front coffin arms and ARBs just yet.  Might have a go getting the rear coffin arms off when I do the tuning forks on friday, no doubt the bolt will be stuck.  Is it worth doing the rear ARBs as they look really easy to do?  Starting to run out of funds for now, especially as I am getting a whirring/worn bearing type sound now.  So time to save for a water pump etc and the labour charges for that. 

Rear ARBs are easy to do, I did mine without even jacking the car up.

• Like 2