What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

They are only £32 brand new from Design911. They may be even cheaper elsewhere.

Not for a genuine Porsche one. And £32 plus delivery charge...

34 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

They are only £32 brand new from Design911. They may be even cheaper elsewhere.

£40 including VAT & postage.

7 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

I think I'd take my chances on not genuine on this occasion. Doesn't look too hi-tech to me.

2 used ones for £30 form a breaker then??

14 hours ago, phazed said:

Also found that one of the cables that limit the lifting of the hood, (the ones you snap off at the ball joint) has snapped.

Any ideas for a sensibly priced option?

Sorry to jump in on this a little late, but have you looked at Steve Strange on eBay? I have bought loads of stuff from him (amongst which two of these tension ropes). He charged me something like £10 or £15 each and they are perfect.

Just edited to say he has a few for sale but the prices have gone up quite a bit since I bought a set - £48 for two!

Edited by RedBarediver

4 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Sorry to jump in on this a little late, but have you looked at Steve Strange on eBay? I have bought loads of stuff from him (amongst which two of these tension ropes). He charged me something like £10 or £15 each and they are perfect.

He has them on eBay at £54 each including postage! Might as well buy a new one from Design911 for £40 delivered new. I should get about 10% off that figure using my son’s trade account.

just waiting to hear back from Douglas Valley Breakers.

• Confused 1

Douglas Valley, 50 pounds delivered for a secondhand cable which doesn’t cost that new!

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Douglas Valley, 50 pounds delivered for a secondhand cable which doesn’t cost that new!

Hmm, must be getting rarer and demand going up!

A new OE Match one from D911 makes sense then I guess.

• Like 1

Exactly. And while I am at it…….

Just stripped down the drivers door as the external handle wont open the door from the outside. It transpires that the black plastic threaded receiver from the pivoting blade is broken. A fiver from design 911 seems fair. I thought I would order the pivoting blade from the handle pull at the same time as it is rusty and has seen better days. This little bit of metal is an alarming £35 plus vat! 

Any bright ideas to save 30 quid!

Tempted to remove the rusty threaded blade, wire brush, treat it and replace.

is it easy to replace the black plastic receiver?

Drty96C.jpeg

5gc5fKT.jpeg

I haven’t done this before but it looks like the plastic bit isn’t broken and that the metal bit clicks into place to allow adjustment. 
as the metal is all rusty has it ejected itself?

maybe clean it up pop it back in and a small cable tie?

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

2 used ones for £30 form a breaker then??

Sounds like a decent price but based on my admittedly limited experience of replacing two, the wires tend to break where they enter the crimped end of the ball joint, so new may be a better option for these.

Edited by jonogt6

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

Sounds like a decent price but based on my admittedly limited experience of replacing two, the wires tend to break where they enter the crimped end of the ball joint, so new may be a better option for these.

Fair point, and also the 2 for £30 looks like it was a historical price (as opposed to the current hysterical prices...).

• Like 1

Broken Springs seem quite common amongst all cars out there. Is it due to manufactures using a cheaper grade steel or are springs made with the minimum amount of material required and have a finite use life?

This never used to be a thing and in fact, I have never had one broken spring since my motoring career started in 1970. maybe I haven’t had any broken springs because I have never had what some may refer to as, “a late car”, 

32 minutes ago, phazed said:

Broken Springs seem quite common amongst all cars out there. Is it due to manufactures using a cheaper grade steel or are springs made with the minimum amount of material required and have a finite use life?

This never used to be a thing and in fact, I have never had one broken spring since my motoring career started in 1970. maybe I haven’t had any broken springs because I have never had what some may refer to as, “a late car”, 

I'm sure it's more a case of heavier cars and more pot holes and speed humps.

Maybe. My son runs his own garage and springs are really common place. He renews several every week. Usually MOT failures when people haven’t noticed that one corner of their car is sitting lower!

Fiddled about with on the floor panels and a few other bits and pieces. After several months of renewing about 3K worth of parts, repairing loads of stuff, shot blasting, powder coating and painting lots of underfloor stuff that can be unbolted and a plethora of other things, all I have to do now is bleed the brakes and wait for my immobilizer, then I can start the car. My pessimistic side feels this might be several weeks yet, (hopefully before the Gazza thing is sorted out!) but I’m trying to stay positive. 

1 minute ago, phazed said:

Fiddled about with on the floor panels and a few other bits and pieces. After several months of renewing about 3K worth of parts, repairing loads of stuff, shot blasting, powder coating and painting lots of underfloor stuff that can be unbolted and a plethora of other things, all I have to do now is bleed the brakes and wait for my immobilizer, then I can start the car. My pessimistic side feels this might be several weeks yet, (hopefully before the Gazza thing is sorted out!) but I’m trying to stay positive. 

What year is the car? (I can't remember).  Might be worth dropping a pre-emptive note to Steve Strange at Douglas Valley as to whether he has a model year matching set of alarm/immobiliser components just in case JMG say it is a write off...

31 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

What year is the car? (I can't remember).  Might be worth dropping a pre-emptive note to Steve Strange at Douglas Valley as to whether he has a model year matching set of alarm/immobiliser components just in case JMG say it is a write off...

This. @phazed i am sure I saw one on faceache with key and all the components needed to give the car and new digital id. 

• Thanks 1