Wet Seatbelt?

Simo_UK

Right then to close this off - for the second and hopefully final time!

Got my car back this evening and it sounds like the drain design is faulty and they are subject to failure/cracking.  Carpets, seats, local electrics all removed.  Upholstery dried out and Bose amp replaced (£500 + VAT alone!).  Refitted and test.  All in all without a car for 6 days. 

The drain is in post #11 here - http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-problems-and-complaints/115086-981bs-water-leak-seatbelt-holder-area.html

And the outlet is the upper one in @topradio's picture above.

At the point of outlet (by all accounts) there is a valve as opposed to an open pipe end.  The pipe gets gunked up over time and the valve becomes redundant as the gunk now holds the water in the pipe/tray above.  Turns out that the plastic used in the pipe/tray doesn't like standing water and also cracks.  Cue water flow into the cabin.

The new drain parts fitted are modified and the pointless valve no longer exists, giving the gunk less chance to build up.  I'm not sure if this is a recent mod to the part or if newer cars had them fitted.  It's not that easy to check either.

Not likely to become a recall/campaign according to the OPC.  Potentially a maintenance item though.

One for older MY12 cars at least, to watch out for.  If it wasn't for warranty, I'd be £3-4k out of pocket for the OPC to repair both sides after the leaks!

Great service again from Portsmouth OPC again, including finding me a courtesy car when it was most needed (and a Macan Turbo too!)

22 minutes ago, topradio said:

How do Porsche do this?

Sounds like over-engineering to be honest.  Why put a one way valve at the end of the drain pipe?  If they were worried about water going up the pipe, the driver would have bigger issues as the car would be half submerged in water!!!

Archived