Wet Seatbelt?

Simo_UK

Morning all!

I have this booked in at the local OPC to look at under warranty, but thought I'd check if anyone has seen this before and/or may want to check their cars too.

So, I have a wet seatbelt on the passenger side of the car.  Only noticed this when I was in the passenger seat and the wife was driving (yes, I know, that's a whole new thread on it's own!).

The belt only feels wet, further down the reel and so only noticeable when the belt is extended.  Upshot is that the inner windscreen is more fogged than usual in this weather, and takes a lot longer to clear that and the passenger gets a damp shoulder and lap! (insert gag here).

Looks like some sort of leak between the trim and the shell.  Checked the roof and there is a noticeable gap between the roof and the body, but that's the same on both sides, so maybe a plastic membrane that's come off inside?

Anyway, covered by warranty (thankfully, as its £175 +VAT to investigate otherwise!).  Will let you know the outcome, but might be worth checking yours too?

A bit more research.....

Decent thread on Planet 9 http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-problems-and-complaints/115086-981bs-water-leak-seatbelt-holder-area.html

Looks like the problem, but I'll let the OPC have a bash at fixing it as I'm, well, too lazy! :)

Anyone else had this problem?

I had this a few weeks ago in my 987 although it was drivers side.  We'd had a bit of rain so I half opened the roof and sure enough there was quite a bit of water (passenger side was dry).  The drainage hole had quite a few leaves on top blocking it.  Once these were removed the water drained and after a couple of days the seat belt was dry too.

This was dead easy to "fix" as the drainage holes on the 987.2 have some sort of mesh on top of them so for me it was as simple as removing the leaves and muck that were sitting on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it would appear that the OPC have found the cause.  Sounds like the drain as described above had become blocked/dislodged.

End result, a fair bit more water ingress than thought.  Seat out, carpet/sound proofing out, any electrical boxes in the vaciity being changed.  All needs drying out and likely to take a week!  :(  (also means I have no Boxster for the meet on Sunday!)

One warranty cost thankfully justified!

17 hours ago, mike597 said:

I'm pretty surprised a blocked drain is covered under warranty. 

I made sure tehy 100% confirmed it was covered under warranty before they started work.  Where the drain 'stuff' is internal, I'm not sure how they could expect this to be managed by the owner, though.

16 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Blocked drain in a 981?!  That's a first?

Blocked/dislodged - one of the two.  Still waiting the full report but sounds very much like the issue in the link I posted from Planet 9

1 hour ago, Simo_UK said:

I made sure tehy 100% confirmed it was covered under warranty before they started work.  Where the drain 'stuff' is internal, I'm not sure how they could expect this to be managed by the owner, though.

Blocked/dislodged - one of the two.  Still waiting the full report but sounds very much like the issue in the link I posted from Planet 9

I have no doubt you confirmed that with them before letting them proceed.   I am surprised nevertheless it is covered..  Having a similar battle at the moment with vw over a leaking panoramic sunroof which they won't accept saying its a maintenance issue of the drainage tubes when in fact it's leaking from the frame itself. 

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

Having a similar battle at the moment with vw over a leaking panoramic sunroof which they won't accept saying its a maintenance issue of the drainage tubes when in fact it's leaking from the frame itself.

Seriously?  Ouch - good luck with the battle :( 

13 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

When you say "internal" was there a problem deep inside the car or just under the fabric hood where the drain holes are?

10 hours ago, Nath said:

When you say "internal" was there a problem deep inside the car or just under the fabric hood where the drain holes are?

Looks like a right PITA to get to them - take a look at the images in the Planet 9 thread, link above....

37 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Looks like a right PITA to get to them - take a look at the images in the Planet 9 thread, link above....

After looking at your link, its very straight forward. I had one leaf in there so thanks for the information.

OK - just to close this one off. 

Got my car back today, great service as ever from Portsmouth OPC.

Turns out the drain had become dislodged (not blocked) and instead of draining water away, it was pouring it into the car instead.

As mentioned, the car was stripped, dryed, drain repaired and a control box (for parking sensors) replaced as it was 'moist' (oo-er).

All covered by warranty.....which I'm thankful for as this would have been about a 2k bill!

Just now, Simo_UK said:

OK - just to close this one off. 

Got my car back today, great service as ever from Portsmouth OPC.

Turns out the drain had become dislodged (not blocked) and instead of draining water away, it was pouring it into the car instead.

As mentioned, the car was stripped, dryed, drain repaired and a control box (for parking sensors) replaced as it was 'moist' (oo-er).

All covered by warranty.....which I'm thankful for as this would have been about a 2k bill!

Did they actually use the moist word?  Linked with Box?  :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Sounds very similar to the issue with mine (2012 981S 15k miles) - just diagnosed by OPC Nottingham, drain tube causing leak into cabin (I will ask when I collect if it was dislodged / blocked etc) , causing condensation, being dried and control box / connectors on order to be replaced.

To be fair I `visually` checked mine with a torch looking down the `flap` (come on...) next to the sides of the roll bar and the drain pans and the tube (that I could see) were clear.

Sounds like a good thing to be added to the 111 OPC check........ or any 981 PPI.

I'll add a link to this thread in the 981 condensation one if other 981 owners suffer the same / similar issues.

Good call.

Interesting that this is an issue with the pipe being dislodged not blocked....and occurring on older cars.

Without warranty this would be very expensive!

50:50 chance but yours wasn't passenger side was it??

It was passenger side ....!  When I collect I'll ask for a full explanation... could well have been dislodged as they said they had to take the 'wing off' to rectify ... (later clarified in the conversation as the inner wheel arch...to my relief ha ha).

Looking at the PET my (uneducated) guess is the pipe disconnects from the drain pan for some reason (or was never connected properly?) as they are two separate parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - IT'S BACK!  This time, drivers side.  Seatbelt and carpet soaked this morning.

As my car is a relatively early edition (Sept 2012), I'm thinking that this may be the start of a new 981 'maintenance issue'.

Booked in Friday for a damn good seeing too.  The car is going into the local OPC as well! :)

Simo.  Where do you keep your car?  Outside?

I know the initial issue was dislodging rather than blocking. Presumably they checked both sides when they sorted the original issue so seems a bit of a suprised to have such an issue again. I'm not sure how these could come dislodged unless something in the roof mech brushes against them and any slight bend/sag of the mech means it then catches the drain pan moving it? If this is the case then I suspect it may well become a common issue. Does your roof mech seems as smooth and square as it always has?

Hi Greenman

Yep, the car is kept outside.  No issues with the roof whatsoever, all works fine (and hasn't been down in a while).

I doubt they checked both sides when they did the last repair.  Will update next week when it's clear as to the cause.  Suspect the same issue again though

Hi -

Had similar issues (but mine were blocked as opposed to dislodged).

OPC did both sides / removed filters at the base of the drain pipes.

Photos and write up on my running report - hope it assists a bit:

Archived