How much to change ignition switch ?

myfirstboxster

Agree with everyone else & assuming its just the round plastic switch they are replacing £170 is expensive. I paid around £25 for the switch from Euro Car Parts & it takes 30 mins to fit so cost for switch + an hours labour is what I would expect for a garage to fit.

Have a look at this thread where I posted some instructions/photos on how to replace the switch. Broken Ignition Switch

HTH

Buy the VW / Skoda switch... £12 on ebay.... get a plump cushion to rest your head on and make a stubby flat head screwdriver from a socket flat screwdriver head and a short bolt clamped together with a jubilee clip you need purchase to undo the two grub screws and there is not a lot of space above the switch. the switch has odd size lugs to ensure you fit the correct way.... A new switch can sort all kinds of electrical gremlins! 

Go up underneath the dashboard and remove the plastic air blower ducting....

10 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

Go up underneath the dashboard and remove the plastic air blower ducting....

This definitely gives more access and room. As for making a tool. I just got a very short and tiny headed flat tip screw driver. Note - the grub screw heads were covered in a red anti-tamper paint, so had to scratch the paint off to get the screw driver in the little slot/groove. 

I bought a pattern Porsche part from ECP for about £16, didn't need to go down the VW parts route myself. ECP click and collect always gives you 20-30% off discount codes when shopping online anyway. 

On 11/10/2016 at 9:33 PM, JohnnyUK said:

A new switch can sort all kinds of electrical gremlins! 

I have noticed that turning the ignition in my 986 it has a much "sloppier" feel than in most other cars where it is a clean direct click, but I dont really have another 986 to compare it to. In other threads some people have compared the feel of an ignition switch that is on its way out to "stirring porridge". I take it that it should feel just like any other car?

Does anyone have a list of what sort of gremlins this has been known to fix? Mine has some gremlins since I brought it including:

- Airbag light on but diagnostic just shows as general airbag fault and it doesn't clear (or clears and immediately re-faults) 

- Cruise control main switch/light will work when the car is first started but then after a while of driving/using cruise control (after it has been deselected) it wont switch back on again (light does not work) until after the car is restarted.

- I have noticed that the radio will stay on/live after the key is removed (usually on most cars the radio is killed when ignition is off) but seems to switch off only after the car is locked. Maybe this is normal??

- Not sure if fans are working in all ignition positions. Indy noticed that"Both coolant fans not working on stage 1"

- I have also had a dead battery once (car stood for almost a week) and suspect the drain is higher than expected.

It maybe that the above are unrelated but it would be good to know if any of these could be linked to a dying ignition switch?

Cooling fans are likely to be goosed resistors. 

You need a specific reader, durametric or piwis to narrow down airbag fault lights. 

The ignition shouldn't be sloppy, for the price of a replacement vw part it's worth swapping out. 

Archived