European Insurance Cover

RBD914 v2

So I'm renewing the insurance on the GTS and this time I want to make sure I have European cover to cover my road trip holiday next year.

However it appears that there is only bare minimum 3rd party European cover included on most policies (hidden in the small print) and I am unwilling to risk driving abroad on a 3rd party only basis.

It appears that Saga are one of the few that offer matching UK cover whilst driving in Europe, but they are over £150 more expensive than my best quote from Hastings.

My two questions are:-

1. Anyone know of UK insurers who include full comp insurance in Europe, apart from Saga?

2. How much is it to arrange say 3 weeks fully comp European Cover, I had a quick look and was quoted £250 for 14 days - seems a bit steep? Is there another option?

So do I risk 3rd European party cover, pay Saga over £150 more or arrange temporary cover?

I bow to the experience of BoXa.net members.....!

At one time many years ago I had a policy that included European comprehensive cover but policies like that seem to be few and far between now. I think that might have been with Norwich Union (as it was then, now part of Aviva, who I've never been insured with), but I don't know how many companies still do them.

I now have to tell my insurer (Privilege) each time I go abroad and pay for a 'foreign use extension' each time, which is the more normal arrangement. Recently I've paid £42 each time for a period which has covered up to 17 days  - they price it in bands but I'm not sure what the upper time limit of that charge is (I've paid the same for 12d and 17d). According to their website, 3 days or less are free and you can have up to 90 days foreign use per year. I would have thought any insurer would offer something similar, although their prices would vary.

By the sound of it, the £250 might have been for a standalone policy unconnected with your ordinary policy? In which case didn't you ask your own insurer what they would charge for a foreign use extension? (Unless you're going many times a year I would have expected it to work out less than the £150 extra you'd pay Saga). If the £250 WAS the additional cost from your own insurer, that sounds either wrong or ridiculously expensive. (Unless of course you are known by them to be a TERRIBLE risk :lol:)

Hi

i own a small hotel in courchevel so drive there probably 15 times each winter, Axa have always covered me and have been decent.  Had one of the hotel car completely covered in snow and written off last year and they payed out on it no probs, 

never had a problem with them.  Tesco also covered my cars previous cars no probs, although they have a limit they pay out so are uncompetitive.  From memory morethan Tesco and swift always covered me for overseas business in the last 10 yrs.

11 hours ago, Jon61 said:

At one time many years ago I had a policy that included European comprehensive cover but policies like that seem to be few and far between now. I think that might have been with Norwich Union (as it was then, now part of Aviva, who I've never been insured with), but I don't know how many companies still do them.

I now have to tell my insurer (Privilege) each time I go abroad and pay for a 'foreign use extension' each time, which is the more normal arrangement. Recently I've paid £42 each time for a period which has covered up to 17 days  - they price it in bands but I'm not sure what the upper time limit of that charge is (I've paid the same for 12d and 17d). According to their website, 3 days or less are free and you can have up to 90 days foreign use per year. I would have thought any insurer would offer something similar, although their prices would vary.

By the sound of it, the £250 might have been for a standalone policy unconnected with your ordinary policy? In which case didn't you ask your own insurer what they would charge for a foreign use extension? (Unless you're going many times a year I would have expected it to work out less than the £150 extra you'd pay Saga). If the £250 WAS the additional cost from your own insurer, that sounds either wrong or ridiculously expensive. (Unless of course you are known by them to be a TERRIBLE risk :lol:)

Yes £250 was for for a stand alone policy. My insurers said they could do a European extension at the time of travel but could not give a price until then. I suppose I could kid on that I am going to Europe next week and get a price for the cover extension to give me an idea of cost. Thanks for your help.

Yes so does mine, but check your small print and you may find it is the minimum cover required, I.e. 3rd Party only. Very few policies include fully comprehensive European Cover, this is my issue!

Just asked my insurers how much it would be to upgrade cover for the 3 weeks whilst abroad and they want an extra £129 which is a bit steep!

Saga includes fully comp European cover I believe.

1 hour ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Yes so does mine, but check your small print and you may find it is the minimum cover required, I.e. 3rd Party only. Very few policies include fully comprehensive European Cover, this is my issue!

Just asked my insurers how much it would be to upgrade cover for the 3 weeks whilst abroad and they want an extra £129 which is a bit steep!

Saga includes fully comp European cover I believe.

Yes, it gives me identical cover, i.e. fully comp, for up to 90 days in Europe.

I moved to the 'Porsche' scheme at the start of the year (operated by Marsh and I think if I recall underwritten by Aviva) and this definitely included 'overseas' cover on a like by like basis, therefore fully comprehensive.

I did call them before traveling to double check and this was confirmed to be the case. I can't remember for sure but you may have to notify them prior to travel but that was all. 

To be honest this was not the cheapest policy by far, but felt it gave me the cover I needed including full business travel cover again for a GTS etc.

Archived