starting a boxster

alank

Just been reading some posts on RENNTECK Forum. One of the posts was talking about the correct way to start a 986, and I was a bit confused about waiting for a counter to  drop.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1. get in the car

2. put the key into the ignition and turn it to radio mode.

3. wait for the little counter to go down.

4. then start it on a short fast turn not slow

5. off you go

What counter are the referring to, is it the oil level counter?

7 minutes ago, alank said:

Just been reading some posts on RENNTECK Forum. One of the posts was talking about the correct way to start a 986, and I was a bit confused about waiting for a counter to  drop.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1. get in the car

5. off you go

I guess so. Can't think of any other counter unless it is just to wait until some of the lights go out - I'll look next time!

I must be missing something, because unless you want to know the oil level, just turn key. I don't even understand what they mean by 4 ?. Are they a bit 'special' on the Renntech forum?

1 hour ago, alank said:

5. off you go

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's the funniest, most moronic thing ever!  (their guide, not your question).

I assume they think that the starter motor is analogue, and spins as fast as you turn the key.

I always try to crank the engine fast.  Does no one else have a handle to poke through the rear bumper? :huh: 

Maybe the instruction was lifted from a Model T manual? :unsure: 

I can just see somebody going for the world speed record in key turning and snapping it in the ignition :D 

13 minutes ago, RobsterD said:

Always wondered how accurate the oil level gauge is sometimes its down three bars and a simialr drive showing full 

Only ever accurate when the engine is stone cold and on a level surface, in my experience.

2 minutes ago, cj225 said:

Only ever accurate when the engine is stone cold and on a level surface, in my experience.

Guessing you checked it Against the dipstick. If so, can you give some idea of where each digi-bar corrolates to on the stick? 

I only ask as I know you're pretty good with detail. Might be useful to others on here who've wondered the same thing. Apologies if it's covered in another thread. 

8 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Guessing you checked it Against the dipstick. If so, can you give some idea of where each digi-bar corrolates to on the stick? 

I only ask as I know you're pretty good with detail. Might be useful to others on here who've wondered the same thing. Apologies if it's covered in another thread. 

On a flat surface, top to bottom on the dipstick equals top to bottom on the gauge.  Max to min on the 986 used to be 1 litre, IIRC - and the car works perfectly well at either end of the scale (some would say it works better with less as people have in the past suffered from oil broaching the AOS when full.

10 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Yeah, but not with any great level of interest.

Once, immediately after buying the car.  Drove down the road, stopped, restarted (after my very first pics) and panicked, thinking it was running dry.  Checked dipstick after paying £15 for a litre of the right oil at a petrol station, didn't need it.   It's still sat on the shelf, unopened, in the garage.

I think in 10 months I checked the oil twice because of a misread on the electronic display, but never had to put a single drop in.  

For the select few of us who drive on the left which is the right. We were told that not only do you have to countdown, but flash your highs on each count. It’s the 807.49 BP no Vat security option.

You mean Porsche AG didn't even give you the choice, how sad.

13 hours ago, cj225 said:

Seconded.

Depending on which side of my road i get to park on it can either be over full or empty. I do tend to wait for the timer on the first start though just so i know petrol will have been primed ready to go.

1 hour ago, That986 said:

Seconded.

Depending on which side of my road i get to park on it can either be over full or empty. I do tend to wait for the timer on the first start though just so i know petrol will have been primed ready to go.

Priming the petrol sounds like a good reason to wait a short time, but I'd rather let it crank for a little longer and get the oil up to pressure before the engine fires. I doubt it makes any difference either way though.

3 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Priming the petrol sounds like a good reason to wait a short time, but I'd rather let it crank for a little longer and get the oil up to pressure before the engine fires. I doubt it makes any difference either way though.

Probably not, just something i got used to with my last car. You turned the key and you could hear the pump prime.

Archived