'Size' of 718's

JohnSyn

I took my Macan in for a service on Tuesday.

Whilst there I noticed, in their ( Tonbridge OPC)  used car section, a number of 718's, many standing next to 991s. I was amazed at how little difference there was in terms of overall size of the cars. Of course the body shapes are different, particularly with C4s, but the 718 definitely looked almost the same size.

Of course I have looked up the actual measurements and there is a slight difference but this, in my opinion, doesn't seem to be easily seen in the flesh.

I don't know whether its something others have noticed or whether its just part of the 'cars are getting bigger'  trend.

I've been explaining to my wife size is relative :)

anyway, 

For my 986 the dimensions are height 1290mm width 1781 and length 4343

the 911 of that year was

Length 1306mm width 1765mm and length 4432

and the C4S and Turdo were

height 1295mm width 1829mm and length 4435mm

It would seem the boxster was always on par with the 911 dimensions, even wider that the standard car of that era.

39 minutes ago, Southy said:

I've been explaining to my wife size is relative :)

anyway, 

For my 986 the dimensions are height 1290mm width 1781 and length 4343

the 911 of that year was

Length 1306mm width 1765mm and length 4432

and the C4S and Turdo were

height 1295mm width 1829mm and length 4435mm

It would seem the boxster was always on par with the 911 dimensions, even wider that the standard car of that era.

Cue childish snigger :)    "Turdo"

Apart from that useful dimensional information!

Yes, the 991s look much bigger than my 981 BGTS, as part of my research in considering an 'upgrade' I checked the sizes and there isn't much in it.

For info:

981 BGTS  L 4404mm, W 1801mm (1978mm inc mirrors), H 1273mm

991.2 C4S  L 4499mm, W 1852mm (1978mm inc mirrors), H 1298mm

The width including the mirrors is exactly the same  which is amazing given how wide a C4S looks.

I think when you do the official measurements, they only seem mm bigger. But to look at, they seem way bigger.  I wonder if there's a non-measured aspect, like panel curves.

The mm adds up over generations, too :)  Someone sent me this pic last week.

Porsche-911-50th-Anniversary-6.jpg

2 hours ago, Southy said:

For my 986 the dimensions are length 4343 width 1781 and height 1290mm

1 hour ago, Gorsh said:

Not gaining a lot over 20 years then, at least in those dimensions; 2 inches longer and an inch wider, hardly justifies wider garage or parking spaces.  Interesting the height is lower - is a GTS lower than usual?

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Not gaining a lot over 20 years then, at least in those dimensions; 2 inches longer and an inch wider, hardly justifies wider garage or parking spaces.  Interesting the height is lower - is a GTS lower than usual?

The 986 was probably not with M030 - so it would be lower still

My 981 has PASM as standard so the height will reflect that, think it's 20mm lower than standard?  An option was the X73 suspension which is even lower.

14 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

My 981 has PASM as standard so the height will reflect that, think it's 20mm lower than standard?  An option was the X73 suspension which is even lower.

I believe PASM on the 981 is 10mm lower than standard. The X73 suspension is 20mm lower than standard.

Not sure if it is different between a  981 base or S and the GTS though.

2 hours ago, Gorsh said:

Yes, the 991s look much bigger than my 981 BGTS, as part of my research in considering an 'upgrade' I checked the sizes and there isn't much in it.

For info:

991.2 C4S  L 4499mm, W 1852mm (1978mm inc mirrors), H 1298mm

The width including the mirrors is exactly the same  which is amazing given how wide a C4S looks.

718 Boxster (standard suspension I guess):

L 4,379 mm x W 1,801 mm x H 1,281 mm

So the same width as your 981GTS - but an inch shorter. Is the 981 BGTS the same length as a non-GTS?

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

The most significant difference between the 986/7 and 981/2 was the 60mm stretch in the wheelbase, which freed up far more legroom in the cabin.  I'm 5'11" tall, but long in the leg, so I had the seat in my 987 in the rearmost position.  In my 981, there's a couple of inches more rearward travel left when the set is in the right position for me.

IMHO, the most important dimension in a spotrs car is width: too wide and you're not able to thread it quickly along twisty B-roads, for fear of oncoming traffic.  That's what made me get rid of my F-type: the 150mm extra width over the Boxster killed it as a sports car.

2 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

IMHO, the most important dimension in a spotrs car is width: too wide and you're not able to thread it quickly along twisty B-roads, for fear of oncoming traffic.

I agree completely. And even a couple of inches difference in width can become significant.

Funnily enough, we had a visitor to our house last night and she saw the 718 for the first time. She remarked how much bigger it was than my last car - a 986. Side by side, they didn't appear too much overall different to me; the 986 had much larger front overhang.

20 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

IMHO, the most important dimension in a sports car is width: too wide and you're not able to thread it quickly along twisty B-roads, for fear of oncoming traffic.  That's what made me get rid of my F-type: the 150mm extra width over the Boxster killed it as a sports car.

I agree, but making comparisons has been interesting - in particular knowing the 911 although wider in the body is no wider overall than a Boxster.  Gives me confidence that it won't turn out to be too wide for me to enjoy on those B roads.

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

Funnily enough, we had a visitor to our house last night and she saw the 718 for the first time. She remarked how much bigger it was than my last car - a 986. Side by side, they didn't appear too much overall different to me; the 986 had much larger front overhang.

Side by side, my 981 looks much bulkier than my former 987.  I think this is because the belt line and, in particular, the tail is much higher than the 986/7.  It might also be a function of the colours: Guards Red on the 981 vs Seal Grey on the 987.  Overall, the 987 is prettier (in a good way) and more sinuous, whereas the 981 is more muscular and aggressive, IMHO.

Photo below  (a bit rubbish, sorry!):

CtAYubI.jpg

25 minutes ago, mneil said:

Did I read somewhere that from the A pillar forward, the 981/781 and 991 use basically the same body panels and sizing? 

Same as previous generations then. :)

Archived