Brake disc rust

Rav

Since buying the 986 S the weather has been yuck. I have stored my car in my garage and have noticed that the brake discs have developed some surface rust, due to lack of use.

I plan to use the car tomorrow, is there anything worth bearing in mind with the rusty brakes? Should the rust be cleaned prior to driving or can the car just be used. I have heard horror stories about the brakes on the 986s - particularly cars left in long stay car parks and discs requiring replacement due to rust.

Any advice appreciated.

Guessing you've left it about a month from your other post and it's just simple surface rust. Just drive it, the slight surface rust with come off when you brake. If you've left it for a couple of years then you might have a problem. Just go steady to start with and after a few miles it'll be clear again.

I've seen surface rust on my brake disks after a day of no use, when parked in the open on a drizzly day. Just don't push it at first until the engine warms up, by that time hopefully, the brakes should be functioning as designed (assuming you need to brake until the engine gets warm). If you're not confident, do some test braking before you push it (make sure no one's behind you) :)
p.s. Unless by surface rust you mean the brake disk has corroded to s***

If it's just surface rust, they do that if the car was parked with them wet. It happens after washing your wheels too. No drama, just drive it normally and the first few times you brake it'll just clear off. 

Note: if the discs are seriously pitting/scored/flaking, then they are probably goosed. 

Brake disc corrosion is notorious on Porsche's. Many have to change their discs due to corrosion rather than wear, normally affects those cars which are not daily drivers.

I had to change the front discs & pads a couple of years ago due to rust, the inside faces (which rust the worst!) were actually delaminating, however I didn't feel it on braking. My rear brakes are showing signs of corrosion on the inside faces now & I'm considering changing them out when the weather gets better.

Trick is to use it regularly, use them as intended & always dry the brakes off after washing by driving it around the block. This will limit the amount of corrosion you'll get.   

Thanks all. Yes it is brake disc surface corrosion rather than rust/pitting etc.

My plan was to bring it to work today but the lie in was more temping and the heater in the oil burner just gets hot in seconds.

I plan to get the 986 out of the garage tomorrow. I promise!

Archived