Bore Score - what would YOU do?

andygo

3 hours ago, Araf said:

Forget the problem and enjoy the car. 🙂 

I would agree with this view given that you bought the car privately and have no real recourse.

I bought mine from a dealer and discovered it had a scored cylinder bore (no 4) after 30 days of ownership. To cut a very long story short the dealer agreed to rectify the issue and I also had the other bank done along with many other components replaced with new ones (given the engine was already in pieces).

If the dealer hadn't sorted it I reckon I would have left it and only had a rebuild if things got really bad. Mine was using just under 1 litre of oil per 1,000 miles before the rebuild. This in itself is not too bad and I could live with it.

I learned a great deal along the way and although the repair bill will be big, you can greatly reduce the cost by not just handing the whole repair over to an Indy.

Hartech are a great company and their solution is excellent. They are however not the cheapest.

An Indy would charge £6-7k-ish depending on exactly what work you had done. Not too different from Hartech.

However it is possible to get the job done for far less. 

So if I had my time again and had to fix the issue myself I would:

1/ Get the engine removed and disassembled by my local mechanic that I know and trust.
2/ Send the engine cases to Stanwood Engineering in Doncaster myself. To have all 6 cylinders lined with Westwood liners costs just under £1300 (or it did in 2018 when I had mine done).
3/ New piston £400.

Then get the cases sent back from Stanwood to my mechanic for reassembly and re-installation into the car. The cost for the labour would be about £2k.

So you could get it done this way for around £4k all in tops.

Of course you can have more work done once the engine is in pieces (crankshaft bearings, valve stem oil seals, new clutch, new piston rings for the other 5 pistons etc) but this doesn't bump the cost up that much.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dim33 said:

I would agree with this view given that you bought the car privately and have no real recourse.

I bought mine from a dealer and discovered it had a scored cylinder bore (no 4) after 30 days of ownership. To cut a very long story short the dealer agreed to rectify the issue and I also had the other bank done along with many other components replaced with new ones (given the engine was already in pieces).

If the dealer hadn't sorted it I reckon I would have left it and only had a rebuild if things got really bad. Mine was using just under 1 litre of oil per 1,000 miles before the rebuild. This in itself is not too bad and I could live with it.

I learned a great deal along the way and although the repair bill will be big, you can greatly reduce the cost by not just handing the whole repair over to an Indy.

Hartech are a great company and their solution is excellent. They are however not the cheapest.

An Indy would charge £6-7k-ish depending on exactly what work you had done. Not too different from Hartech.

However it is possible to get the job done for far less. 

So if I had my time again and had to fix the issue myself I would:

1/ Get the engine removed and disassembled by my local mechanic that I know and trust.
2/ Send the engine cases to Stanwood Engineering in Doncaster myself. To have all 6 cylinders lined with Westwood liners costs just under £1300 (or it did in 2018 when I had mine done).
3/ New piston £400.

Then get the cases sent back from Stanwood to my mechanic for reassembly and re-installation into the car. The cost for the labour would be about £2k.

So you could get it done this way for around £4k all in tops.

Of course you can have more work done once the engine is in pieces (crankshaft bearings, valve stem oil seals, new clutch, new piston rings for the other 5 pistons etc) but this doesn't bump the cost up that much.

Great post :)

Another option that is worth pointing out (after a conversation I had with Hartech at the time) is that you can also send them the short motor for them to reline the cylinders.

So your trusted mechanic removes the engine from the car and then removes the ancillaries only. This way also saves you money whilst still having the Hartech solution if that is what you want.

The problem with the process is that it is heavily labour intensive so the more hours you can secure at a lower rate the better.

An Indy after all will send the engine cases away to one of the few engineering companies in the UK that can do the relining work. So you will pay Indy labour rates and then also pay them a markup for the relining.

As stated above you can get the relining done yourself for £1,200 ish (all 6 cylinders). My Indy quoted me £2,000 for the relining.

All the Indy is doing is dismantling and reassembling the engine. This takes around 46 hours so a difference in labour rate makes a massive difference to the overall cost. The actual relining work is carried out by the engineering company and not the Indy.

Archived