Bore Score - what would YOU do?

andygo

I was reading a thread on Bore Score on another forum and that Hartech were saying that all the engines will eventually suffer as time goes on.

Given that it seems to be about £6K to sort the issue on a 987, at what point do you deem the cost too expensive when the car is probably only worth £15K?

Do you bite the bullet and fix it knowing the car is good pretty much for ever, or do you spend a similar amount of money changing the car to,say,a 987.2? There's also the issue of selling a poorly car as well........

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

I would say that Hartech have a dog in the fight.

My thought exactly.  Maybe there's not enough IMS replacements any more.

It is not common, especially on Boxsters.  I've heard of 911s that have has 'suspected' bore scoring but there are other reasons for a car to burn oil so they may not even of had the problem.

49 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

In the unlikely event that the engine does fail due to bore score, I'd just get an engine from a scrappy fitted. Engine £2-3k, fitting another 1k.

Frying pan/fire?

You can plan it ahead for bore-scoring. It does happen slowly and once you figure out it happens, you can either start saving for an engine rebuild or sell the car. I believe it would take 1-2 years at least depending on the mileage I guess (say you do 10-15k annually) to reach a point where rebuild necessary. Even if it happens, in most cases its like post 80-90k, and I do not think it's a massive headache for a sports car on that mileage to be considered as a big maintenance.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Frying pan/fire?

If it was a common problem, then yes you could easily just get bore scoring on the replacement engine, but in reality it isn't a common issue, particularly on Boxsters.

Hartech are kept pretty busy to be fair with plenty of engine issues so it's not like the problem doesn't exist. A lot of data is anecdotal anyway. How many Gen 1 3.4 Boxster S's are there compared to Gen 1 Cayman S's for example? A quick check on autotrader has around double the number of Cayman S's.

The smaller engines don't seem to really suffer it from anything I've read but I'd say it's certainly not something to just be dismissed if looking at the 3.4's and 911's of the era.

There is one poster on Penisheads who literally goes on about this every time anyone asks about 9X6/7 engines.  

He posts on every topic in extensive detail and it is highly tedious and worrying.  

That being said rebuild is way more than £6k though, more like £10k.  Hartech eventually joined the thread and said that they did not think every car would score a bore.

It is more common on the bored out engines anyway such as 997 3.6 & 3.8, more so than the ones with thicker cylinder walls such as the 2.7 and 3.2

However 2 very well respected indis told me in person (as I was selling a 997 to them BTW) that failure in the 997s they sell are in the 20%-33% range

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How many Gen 1 3.4 Boxster S's are there compared to Gen 1 Cayman S's for example? A quick check on autotrader has around double the number of Cayman S's.

Someone has a site with annual sales figures.  But do remember the 3.4 was released in the Cayman a year or two earlier than in the Boxster (remember the Coxster comments at first release) so if demand for ragtop and coupe were equal (not sure) then yes there would be more.

7 hours ago, perleman said:

There is one poster on Penisheads who literally goes on about this every time anyone asks about 9X6/7 engines.  

He posts on every topic in extensive detail and it is highly tedious and worrying.  

That being said rebuild is way more than £6k though, more like £10k.  Hartech eventually joined the thread and said that they did not think every car would score a bore.

It is more common on the bored out engines anyway such as 997 3.6 & 3.8, more so than the ones with thicker cylinder walls such as the 2.7 and 3.2

However 2 very well respected indis told me in person (as I was selling a 997 to them BTW) that failure in the 997s they sell are in the 20%-33% range

If someone wants to know about the engines what's the harm in informing them?

FWIW my car (2.7) had a rebuild at Hartech before I bought it and the bill was £7k. That also includes a clutch slave cylinder and an oil pump I think so it is possible to be significantly less than £10k.

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

FWIW my car (2.7) had a rebuild at Hartech before I bought it and the bill was £7k. That also includes a clutch slave cylinder and an oil pump I think so it is possible to be significantly less than £10k.

Yikes I thought the 2.7 was relatively problem free. May I ask what the issue was? 

17 hours ago, Hugh74 said:

Yikes I thought the 2.7 was relatively problem free. May I ask what the issue was? 

They are to be fair but the IMS bearing in the 2005 cars is a potential issue, it certainly was for mine. :D

From MY2006 they got a more reliable bearing which is in all 2.7 Caymans. This is the same bearing that Hartech will fit.

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. When I got my Boxster I had all but ruled them out at my price point (MY2006 cars out of budget) until this one with a Hartech rebuild appeared close by, I wouldn't have wanted the nagging doubt from a 2005 car after spending the previous 3 years already sinking thousands and thousands into running an M5.

On 1/28/2017 at 4:11 PM, andygo said:

I was reading a thread on Bore Score on another forum and that Hartech were saying that all the engines will eventually suffer as time goes on.

Key word there is 'eventually'. 

No doubt its a weak spot, but it could happen early in life, or when the car has hundreds of thousands of miles, you just cant tell and (from what i've read) is dependant on a load of different factors. There are lots of examples of 987 and 997 around with well over 100k miles without any sign of bore-score or IMS so its not necessarily cut and dry. 

'Eventually' any engine will need a rebuild, but if its had a hard life and high milage, that seems fair enough. Its then a question of whether its financially worthwhile. 

I think it depends how much you have invested in the car when/if it goes.

If it were to happen to me today (I think I'm at about 149k), I'd think long and hard about a rebuild like Mark has done - his engine pulls beautifully !!

Of scrapping the car as the options on Molly are sought after, and buying a 981.

I've only heard the 3.8 lumps are problematic for scoring, but I've not paid much attention to be honest just like I've not done a replacement IMS either.

Could be worse some chap on Penisheads had to get a new engine for his M5 which had only done 28k. Luckily it was covered under warranty as the cost for a new engine was a staggering £33k!!!! 

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I think it depends how much you have invested in the car when/if it goes.

If it were to happen to me today (I think I'm at about 149k)

Blimey Patt, I know you were angry at that bodyshop, I can see why now...

Archived