Boxster 981 Brake Pedal Bush issue

nigelb

HI all, first post -

I was looking for a well informed place for all thing Boxster - and I stumbled across this place.  I recently had an issue on my 981 Boxster 2012 that I thought I would share with you.  It seems it is not that uncommon but a problem shared, as they say...

Anyway, during the cold weather I had the heating on high and directed to my cold feet in the footwell... after a few miles i noticed that if I came to a stop at a junction the brake pedal would not fully release and that the brakes would drag.  The resistance against moving was quite noticeable.  I put my foot under the foot brake and manually lifted the ledal back to its 'home' position.

I called my OPC and described the issue - they then sent out Porsche Assist and recovered the car - I was supplied with a rental car - and the fault was diagnosed to be a defective bush that apparently expands when warm and grab the brake pin/piston preventing the pedal from coming back up fully.

It was a free of charge repair and apparently quite a common issue - there is no recall for it - I just thought I would post it in case any of you other guys/ladies had this issue

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I do keep thinking I can smell brake when I get out the car...put it down to engine smell this and not being used to the mid engine layout. Got me paranoid now lol

I think that's normal, certainly the same with mine (especially if doing any spirited driving.  Not experienced the brake issue myself  but good to be aware of these potential issues.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Yes it is a known problem and seems to affect early cars. My 2014 car hasn't suffered and also seems to have got away with the heater fan problem as well.:icecream: 

Whats the heater fan problem!!!? :P lol

• 2 weeks later...

Had the pedal busing problem last month on my '12 model. Slightly alarming to feel the brake pedal seize. Same circumstances though - I generally have hot air blowing into the foot wells. Anyway, I'm not covered by warranty so it cost me £200+ for OPC to replace the pedal bushing with the improved design/material part. I thought it would have been a recall on general safety grounds, but apparently not.

Cheers,

Neil

9 hours ago, NeilW said:

Had the pedal busing problem last month on my '12 model. Slightly alarming to feel the brake pedal seize. Same circumstances though - I generally have hot air blowing into the foot wells. Anyway, I'm not covered by warranty so it cost me £200+ for OPC to replace the pedal bushing with the improved design/material part. I thought it would have been a recall on general safety grounds, but apparently not.

Cheers,

Neil

well if you were my 'other half' :kiss: and had died in some horrible fireball I know who I would be sending a solicitors letter too....another case of 'they all do that sir...' ??

9 hours ago, NeilW said:

Cheers,

Neil

I think you would have had a good case for at least a contribution from the OPC or even completely free as its a common fault that as far as I can see will affect all early cars sooner or later. Even more so if you are still using the OPC for servicing.

Read back through here, but there used to be a general consensus that Porsche (GB or DE, not sure which) would make good will gestures of up to 80% on cars which had been kept in the Porsche network for maintenance and were under 6 years old.  

This is probably why....

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2010/12/13/the-eu-goods-must-last-a-minimum-two-years-rule-is-a-myth/

• 10 months later...
On 14/02/2017 at 11:24 AM, NeilW said:

Cheers,

Neil

Would you mind listing the part numbers for the parts from your invoice? Is it a manual car?

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, alank said:

Just out of interest what is the heater fan problem, or is the answer in the question!!   alan

A number of 981's suffer from intermittent heater fan failure (anecdotally affects earlier cars). Dealers claim to replace the fans but there is some evidence that they still continue to be intermittent.  Quick fix is to reach into the air intake and spin the fan manually which seems to fix it, for a while.

Mine hasn't suffered the problem and also has the later brake pedal bush. 

Archived