Put that in your pipe, and smoke it!

Mr96er

So, after my MOT I had an advisory regarding surface corrosion on my brake pipes. Seemingly loads of them, despite them only being 4 years old. Figured they must have used cheap pipe and cut corners. Turned out they really had. So just had my guys replace with quality pipe and routed correctly, really tidy job.

In the end I had 12 brake pipes replaced and have to say, the work looks and feels first class. Going to give them a full field test tomorrow:ph34r:

Result ?

When the guys at Revolution inspected my car they found that to get rid of corrosion and pass the mot the brake pipes had been cut and joined and that the sellers mechanic had mixed steel and copper. This wasn't wrong in MOT terms so the garage that sold me the car refused to do anything about it, however common sense tells you it isn't a good idea (not sure if galvanic action applies here or not) so that's another thing on the list!

Terry

2 minutes ago, Terryg said:

When the guys at Revolution inspected my car they found that to get rid of corrosion and pass the mot the brake pipes had been cut and joined and that the sellers mechanic had mixed steel and copper. This wasn't wrong in MOT terms so the garage that sold me the car refused to do anything about it, however common sense tells you it isn't a good idea (not sure if galvanic action applies here or not) so that's another thing on the list!

Terry

Its not uncommon to see household water pipes that join incoming iron pipes to copper internally -  my house has exactly this.   I don't really see its problem.   Corrosion around dissimilar metals is surely only an issue if it occurs on fasteners that you want,  at some point,  to be able to unfasten.

Just now, mike597 said:

Its not uncommon to see household water pipes that join incoming iron pipes to copper internally -  my house has exactly this.   I don't really see its problem.   Corrosion around dissimilar metals is surely only an issue if it occurs on fasteners that you want,  at some point,  to be able to unfasten.

Fair enough, Russ point was that on a car capable of 160 + joining pipes is not a good idea and mixing metals is just lazy and shows a lack of pride in workmanship. I agree on both his points.

Corrosion around some dissimilar metals is a lot more serious than that as Honda found out on early superdreams etc., in fact it amazes me this is still happening, check out the Wheeler Dealers Aston Martin episode.

40 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Fair enough, Russ point was that on a car capable of 160 + joining pipes is not a good idea and mixing metals is just lazy and shows a lack of pride in workmanship. I agree on both his points.

Corrosion around some dissimilar metals is a lot more serious than that as Honda found out on early superdreams etc., in fact it amazes me this is still happening, check out the Wheeler Dealers Aston Martin episode.

I agree with Russ's view that's its not what you would want to see on your P&J but I doubt it's outright dangerous. 

It's not best practice, they should really have changed the whole pipe but that's probably a fair bit of work. I don't think copper/steel is a particular problem, after all copper is used as a gasket material on things like sump plugs etc.

Archived