Strange noise from dash area

tony231167

When i am going at high speed 'on a private track' it varies but around 85mph to 100mph it makes a strange buzzing noise. i have got a video just wonder if anyone has any idea

youtube video 

Dunno what it is but I wish I had a trumpet heralding my arrival at 85mph (on a private track).

Seriously, the sound gives a clue I guess that it is something thin and reed like that the airflow can get to, probably not a lot of help but yo never know.

I haven't listened to the clip but have check of the wipers and the plastic scuttle.

Sounds like you forgot you insisted your daughter does her clarinet practice in the Frunk so as not to bother you. :unsure: 

have you checked the rubber seals around the wing mirror? 

the sounds sounds like it comes from the speaker area. but the speaker cone is fine. i check and tighten the windscreen rubber. new wipers and fitted sercurely., havnt check the mirror but it doesnt sound like it from that area. next time i am on my private race track i will test it out. if it is still there i will get revolution to have a look as i want my brake caliper painted red . 

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted new wipers and tape down but noise still there. The battery cover feels a bit soft and thought it might be that. I took it off and the noise was gone for a few drive then it has come back again  bit very slight different frequency.

I had a similar noise in my 986S about a year ago at around 60 to 70 mph. In my case it sounded like it was coming from the bottom left side of the windscreen. It did it two or perhaps three journeys in a row and then disappeared and has not happened again. I wondered at the time if the cause was something like a leaf stuck in the ventilation system which was reverberating as air flowed over it when driving at high speed, like blowing over a reed in a clarinet or oboe. When the leaf dislodged itself the noise stopped.

I had a similar noise on my E46 (BMW) and it turned out to be missing sealant around the windscreen.  Took me ages to find.

Other ideas:

1  Scuttle trim- make sure the rubber over laps correctly

2  Seal on scuttle panel is flush with glass

3  Plastic trim in battery area

Good luck.

Archived