CAY718S & 981GTS reg plate available

Stuart21UK

I reckon that could be a good long term investment if the bidding doesn't go silly. The 981 GTS has got to be a future classic as the last of the 6 pot Boxsters with a nice spec and produced in smallish numbers will always be in demand.

As the price of used 981s declines, the affordabiity of such a plate will soar in absolute terms. Imagine the relative price of "986 GTS" compared to the price of a nice 986 today. It'd probably be about 30% of the cost of the car.

3 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

but there was never a 986 GTS...

There's always one. <_< 

It is extremely rare that model specific plates will appreciate.  I think it was a routine from a comedian that went along the lines of

"Why have it on your number plate when it is already written on your car? :huh:  Those who are into cars will know what the car is anyway, and those who don't know, won't care." 

Conversely I bought BMW23M for £2,000.

I bought it on the basis that Z3m and in particular the coupes prices where only going one way. I turned down £5,000 for it 2 years ago. There are a lot more legs in it over the next 10 years ;-)

A model special plate can work if its for the right car.

I understand the argument of factoring in the market value of the car compared to the plate which has worked well in the example above but you have to realise at the price point of the GTS there are plenty of owners who don't have to factor that in to the same extent. I know a guy with a £150,000 plate (single letter, single number) which is on a car worth less than £10,000. Before anyone says he did not pay £150,000 for it you would be correct, he paid £70,000 for it. It was a good investment ;-) Obviously he is not into cars, is wealthy and simply liked the plate. The same could be true of two GTS owner (well obviously not the not into car bit) but they could place a higher value on that plate than its relative value to the car. It is a cool plate.

My guess is it will go for c£5k but someone could get lucky ;-)

Archived