Improving the shift feel...

jonnoshore

7 hours ago, edc said:

I have used lithium grease on the gearbox connector end. 

I did the same when fitting the SSK, seems to work really well

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

And where else?:ph34r::huh:

I packed the shifter mechanism itself with it.It still works best when gearbox is warm.

18 hours ago, Terryg said:

I packed the shifter mechanism itself with it.It still works best when gearbox is warm.

I must say terry has a nice tight and firm feeling knob now. I've only handled it at rest, but I imagine it satisfies the parts other knobs can't reach when he's giving it the berries! 

10 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

I must say terry has a nice tight and firm feeling knob now. I've only handled it at rest, but I imagine it satisfies the parts other knobs can't reach when he's giving it the berries! 

25799AAB-DC87-49E8-9C93-2771C136CC09_zps

That's you, that is?

14 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Thank you Mr Saunders.

• 9 months later...
On 21/04/2017 at 5:17 PM, edc said:

You could have saved yourself the trouble and got some of the metal bush kits from @jimk04 . However, if the shift feel changes with the gearbox oil temp then it's probably not your shifter at fault. Lots of posts on this forum about the merits of different shifters. For what it's worth I've obviously had the OE but also the B&M copy and the OE 986 shortshift.

Hi there edc.

So where/how do we get hold of the said the metal bush kits from jimk04, please?

Not sure if this has been covered as not read all, but consider replacing the gear shift rod as well. It’s attached to your clutch and gearstick via cables.  

Mine was worn out completely and since replacing I feel much smoother gear changes. 

NB: sold separately from cables (no matter what they tell you). 

MK

16 hours ago, jimk04 said:

That would be me. I've just built up a 987 bearing shifter that is going to for sale

This would improve/remove the sloppiness of my gearstick?  [Bearing in mind mine is a 986]. (didn't mean to be a play on words/) How much does it cost?

On 26/04/2017 at 9:02 PM, ajondyh said:

I have this one on my racecar... they do a street version too

editshift.jpg

Have had the street version in my 986 for a while now - really is an upgrade particularly with matched shift cables from CAE - heavily centred to 3rd/4th shift with an especially  mechanical feel.  No way you can grab reverse by accident. 

Was a bit of work to get the CAE cables routed through mainly because they're way more substantial than the OE versions - but it all went inside the centre console.  Metal shift knob is very cold on an icy morning, luckily I have wooden alternative (leave it....)

CAE even include a proper T Allen key for adjustment and a can of their preferred aerosol grease - gotta love an engineer selling their stuff they way the know it needs to be sold.

No downsides for me, I love it albeit's probably a bit much for most.

1 hour ago, map said:

Have had the street version in my 986 for a while now - really is an upgrade particularly with matched shift cables from CAE - heavily centred to 3rd/4th shift with an especially  mechanical feel.  No way you can grab reverse by accident. 

Was a bit of work to get the CAE cables routed through mainly because they're way more substantial than the OE versions - but it all went inside the centre console.  Metal shift knob is very cold on an icy morning, luckily I have wooden alternative (leave it....)

CAE even include a proper T Allen key for adjustment and a can of their preferred aerosol grease - gotta love an engineer selling their stuff they way the know it needs to be sold.

No downsides for me, I love it albeit's probably a bit much for most.

Yes it is a superb shifter and I haven't missed a gear or accidentally crossed the reverse gate since it was fitted. The height is much better too as it's closer to hand

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, jonnoshore said:

Hi

I currently have poor shifting until the engine / oils are warm... and not sure if this is to do with shifter alignment or gearbox oil temperature.

I plan to align the shifter and fit a better shifter as well as change the oil to Motul 75W90.

From another forum I got the picture below.

I have bought myself a shifter from ebay for £30 and have some large 21mm brass washers with 10mm diameter holes in to shim out the shaft.  The PTFE / Nylon cup bearings are really poor with ~0.4mm of slop!..

So I have I also have a pair of closed cup needle bearings for £15 from here https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/BAM-Series-Closed-End/BAM118-IKO-Drawn-Cup-Bearing-with-One-Closed-End-Caged-126438-p to replace the worst part of the kit.

I will also machine the insides of the metal housing and hopefully have something closer to the GT3 metallic shift feel like the picture below :)

I just need to get myself an alignment tool shown in the video below and then look into getting some shim plate to fix the last issue... any pay from within the white block part..

This is pretty good video to explain it...

shifter_pic.JPG

Archived