Improving the shift feel...

jonnoshore

Hi

I currently have poor shifting until the engine / oils are warm... and not sure if this is to do with shifter alignment or gearbox oil temperature.

I plan to align the shifter and fit a better shifter as well as change the oil to Motul 75W90.

From another forum I got the picture below.

I have bought myself a shifter from ebay for £30 and have some large 21mm brass washers with 10mm diameter holes in to shim out the shaft.  The PTFE / Nylon cup bearings are really poor with ~0.4mm of slop!..

So I have I also have a pair of closed cup needle bearings for £15 from here https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/BAM-Series-Closed-End/BAM118-IKO-Drawn-Cup-Bearing-with-One-Closed-End-Caged-126438-p to replace the worst part of the kit.

I will also machine the insides of the metal housing and hopefully have something closer to the GT3 metallic shift feel like the picture below :)

I just need to get myself an alignment tool shown in the video below and then look into getting some shim plate to fix the last issue... any pay from within the white block part..

This is pretty good video to explain it...

shifter_pic.JPG

You could have saved yourself the trouble and got some of the metal bush kits from @jimk04 . However, if the shift feel changes with the gearbox oil temp then it's probably not your shifter at fault. Lots of posts on this forum about the merits of different shifters. For what it's worth I've obviously had the OE but also the B&M copy and the OE 986 shortshift.

Don't know but all the gumpf out there describes it as a short shifter. 

I'm finding myself getting sucked into this vortex...

seems like a good mod to do for "driver feel". Oddly enough one of the best factory shifters I've ever had was in a mk1 Mazda mx5 1.6 turbo. Very short and sharp. 

I'm going to make s conscious effort to check the feel warm and cold tomorrow on the breakfast run... 

Personally I think the optimum set up would be a standard 987 shifter assembly with Jims upgraded parts. The standard throw is short enough and with the play reduced and the smooth bearings I think it would be about perfect ?

I have borrowed a green shifter alignment tool today so plan to have the centre console out tomorrow am if weather nice.

I was at Porsche Colchester today and had two new keys coded for £122.87 (one under warranty).

When in it was up in the air in the inspection bay so was able to have a good chat and nosey around underneath...

It has the front aero under shield missing, needs front discs and pads and one rear coffin arm squeaks.. but was good to see it all and have a good chat to the service tech guy.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, Lonewolfgjp said:

Personally I think the optimum set up would be a standard 987 shifter assembly with Jims upgraded parts. The standard throw is short enough and with the play reduced and the smooth bearings I think it would be about perfect ?

This will be mine, as soon as Porsche Reading can find the part number for the alignment tool !

000 721 961 90 is no longer available.

I now have a 996 number from the actual tool used in December - I'll update if they recognise that...currently sat waiting for one of them to be free...

2 hours ago, Patt said:

New alignment tool number is 996 424 395 03.

Thanks Patt,  The one I have borrowed is green like in the pictures above... Not checked the part number.  Hoping for the gear shift to be more GT3 / GT4 like after the mods to match the seats in my car.

The next check is the oil level, most likely Sunday.

I have the buckets too. ;-)

That was the part number off the actual tool used when switching from SSK to 997 at Christmas

I've also changed the knob from 986 to 997, nicer feel as a ball rather than a teardrop. 

And strangely feels slightly shorter too, although I know it's not.

and yet both the parts guys at Reading stated the 000 number was no longer available !

Thanks for that 997 number Jim - I've made a note for if they call back and say my order on Germany has been cancelled.

2 hours ago, jimk04 said:

Got a tool yesterday....on the bag 000 721 961 91. New green job.

On the tool 997 424 383 01

The one I borrowed was green :) ... shift definitely improved when aligned...

Still a little notchy until it is warmed up say 2-3 miles... is this "normal" for a 6 speed box?

I went through all this after getting mine. Changed the shifter to a 997 one, replaced the cable connectors at the shifter end and changed the gearbox oil to a Millers one. What actually made the biggest difference was to clean and well grease all the connectors at the gearbox end. The gearstick now centres easily and placing the gears is much better. 

40 minutes ago, Andrew McD said:

I went through all this after getting mine. Changed the shifter to a 997 one, replaced the cable connectors at the shifter end and changed the gearbox oil to a Millers one. What actually made the biggest difference was to clean and well grease all the connectors at the gearbox end. The gearstick now centres easily and placing the gears is much better. 

Thanks Andrew!
I bought a S/H "another" 986 shifter to fit everything to... but the play is so much less than mine I will use mine for the shifter mods and fit the newer one... My Shifter is from the car and as it has done 173k has a fair amount of slop on the left to right plastic bearings which the "new to me" one does not have.  I will use one of my linkages as it has less play.

And thanks for the tip on the GBx end linkage lubing... will do that when I change the GBx oil... Hopefully a Sunday job. ;)

19 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

Glad you said that, when I put my Chinese SSK in I lubed it well (ooh err) and its a two finger action ( I really must stop), that and allowing it to "bed in" are the main reason it works well I think.

20 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

Can I just check, what is the best grease to use on the balljoint cable connectors at the gearbox end? Just want to make sure I get the best action at the lever!

Archived