Wear on window rubber seal

tcornet

Quick question for the 981 owners out there. Is this wear normal on the seal? It certainly wasn't on my previous 981. OPC Reading are telling me it's normal but I've asked them to check with Porsche and change it under warranty. I'd appreciate your views as always 

thanks 

55 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Yeh mines got a bit of that, though not quite as bad. I rub a bit of silicon spray on it to act as a bit of lubricant just to ensure the window doesn't stick and cause abrasion.

Thanks, mine is a lot worse on the passenger side compared with the drivers. I will update with what they tell me, but have to say it's not good for such an expensive car 

If OPC say normal they should be able to show you the same wear on their's and customer's cars to prove the point. If they can't your argument has improved.

Hi @tcornet.  There's no sign of any such wear on mine, but it's only 2 1/2 years old with 6k miles, the vast majority of which were with the top down (so no rubbing of the seal against the side window glass).  May I please ask what mileage is on yours?

It'll be interesting to see what other higher mileage 981 owners on here report on this issue.   I think it is unacceptable wear on any car, never mind a Porsche.  Possibly a design fault?

15 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Hi @tcornet.  There's no sign of any such wear on mine, but it's only 2 1/2 years old with 6k miles, the vast majority of which were with the top down (so no rubbing of the seal against the side window glass).  May I please ask what mileage is on yours?

It'll be interesting to see what other higher mileage 981 owners on here report on this issue.   I think it is unacceptable wear on any car, never mind a Porsche.  Possibly a design fault?

Daniel, 

it's a May 2016 with under 9000 miles which I brought last month. I can't I paging that the passenger side got used more than the drivers side. 

I agree it's unacceptable 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, tcornet said:

Daniel, 

it's a May 2016 with under 9000 miles which I brought last month. I can't I paging that the passenger side got used more than the drivers side. 

I agree it's unacceptable 

Thanks 

That's the clincher: it's definitely either a faulty component, incorrect alignment or simply "not fit for purpose" and should be a straightforward warranty claim on a car less than a year old with 9k miles.  The OPC is just trying to fob you off.  If they won't reconsider, then I would contact Porsche UK directly.  Contact info here:

https://www.complaintsdepartment.co.uk/porsche-uk/

Good luck in getting it sorted. ☺

I'm sure someone on here was complaining about this some time last year. I can't remember who it was now though, and I can't find it (why is the search facility on here so rubbish?)

Mine (~ 9k, 18 months old) is wearing a bit as well though nowhere near as bad as yours Tony. Mine is also only on the passenger side - just the lowest 75mm or so of the seal above the door, where it looks as if a matte top surface has rubbed off, exposing a more shiny rubber underneath

17 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

There's no sign of any such wear on mine, but it's only 2 1/2 years old with 6k miles

OT briefly ... Wow, Daniel, that's a low annual mileage - I thought mine was low compared to what I used to do in my previous cars, though I guess the previous owner of yours was responsible for not driving most of it? 

17 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I'm sure someone on here was complaining about this some time last year. I can't remember who it was now though, and I can't find it (why is the search facility on here so rubbish?)

Mine (~ 9k, 18 months old) is wearing a bit as well though nowhere near as bad as yours Tony. Mine is also only on the passenger side - just the lowest 75mm or so of the seal above the door, where it looks as if a matte top surface has rubbed off, exposing a more shiny rubber underneath

OT briefly ... Wow, Daniel, that's a low annual mileage - I thought mine was low compared to what I used to do in my previous cars, though I guess the previous owner of yours was responsible for not driving most of it? 

Cheers Jon, I recall Stuart had wear on his red roof but don't recall it on a door sill. 

12 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I'm afraid it's mainly down to me: I bought it last May with 5k on the clock!  A number of factors conspired to limit the free time I had last year, but I'm getting rather more use out of it this year. It'll never be a high mileage car though and I've capped the mileage at 5k on the insurance as we spend a fair bit of time out of the country. That said, I always get it fully up to temperature (both water and oil) every time I use it, even if it means taking the long way round!

10 minutes ago, tcornet said:

Cheers Jon, I recall Stuart had wear on his red roof but don't recall it on a door sill. 

No it was a different issue to Stuart's roof fabric abrading - this was definitely the rubber window seals wearing just like yours. I remember it because I went and looked at mine at the time, and I thought I commented on the thread but I can't even find that now.

Aha, just found it - this was on jayk's 2015 981 GTS, see:

@jayk - any update on what happened re yours?

2 hours ago, Jon61 said:

No it was a different issue to Stuart's roof fabric abrading - this was definitely the rubber window seals wearing just like yours. I remember it because I went and looked at mine at the time, and I thought I commented on the thread but I can't even find that now.

You sir have a great memory, thanks 

19 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

The OPC is just trying to fob you off.

It wouldn't really make much sense.  A dealer still makes money off warranty claims, just not as much as retail customers.

When a dealer tells a customer "that's not covered under warranty" when it should be, it's purely a training issue or their warranty bloke is cr*p at his job (amend as required for sexual equality).

7 hours ago, Jon61 said:

Went back and OPC replaced the roof seals under warranty. 

• 1 month later...

Archived