Tiptronic Paddle conversion?

Nobbie

3 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

They look good, but just won't be the same as PDK in response either way. Much better than thumb buttons I bet though.

Main reason for getting it is that the buttons don't allow a comfortable hand position and they're too easy to catch.

(Just to add, there's actually very little wrong with the the tip gearbox IMO; it's very smooth and changes gear nearly imperceptibly, but PDK is something else altogether in speed and response).

They look like the Mercedes paddles that people are fitting to lots of other cars.  

I never had a problem with Tip buttons, and don't really get on with the paddles on the current car - but that's probably because I'm lazy and more often than not leave it in full auto.

Can you remap the gearbox software? I had this done on my C55 and also had some of the aftermarket paddles. It looks neater on an AMG as the buttons are behind the wheel not front and the paddles just clip in place. 

5 hours ago, edc said:

Can you remap the gearbox software? I had this done on my C55 and also had some of the aftermarket paddles. It looks neater on an AMG as the buttons are behind the wheel not front and the paddles just clip in place. 

I'm sure you can, but for a 14 yr old gearbox it's pretty good as is.

In this case we got Edition9 to supply a buttonless steering wheel and do the conversion that way; it would have looked odd otherwise with buttons and paddles IMO.

6 hours ago, Araf said:

They look like the Mercedes paddles that people are fitting to lots of other cars.  

I never had a problem with Tip buttons, and don't really get on with the paddles on the current car - but that's probably because I'm lazy and more often than not leave it in full auto.

Think they are the Mercedes paddles - looks good and the action is nice.

17 minutes ago, drumsterphil said:

Wheel is now fitted - action is really nice and looks better than the buttons -

DSC_0437

Thanks for the update? Seriously tempted to do this, not sure about removing buttons though, may just get paddles fitted to existing three spoke wheel. I'll have to check if you foul the buttons while using the paddles as the hand position will be different to how I currently drive it in manual mode.

6 hours ago, alistair.fox said:

Has anyone heard of a Tiptronic remap? I've a 987 3.2S and would like faster changes and JRTuning.co.uk advertise that this can be done. Not sure if they can add Launch Control (aka PDK) also?

There's no reason why the change cannot be sped up by someone that has broken into the code on the gearbox management.  I would guess that Porsche would have made it quicker if they could guarantee the life of the gearbox with a faster change though, so it's your risk.

The change can get lazy over time so you could always disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see if that speeds it up.

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Thanks for the update? Seriously tempted to do this, not sure about removing buttons though, may just get paddles fitted to existing three spoke wheel. I'll have to check if you foul the buttons while using the paddles as the hand position will be different to how I currently drive it in manual mode.

They can convert a tip steering wheel and disconnect the buttons so only the paddles work manually.

31 minutes ago, Araf said:

The change can get lazy over time so you could always disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see if that speeds it up.

One thing I've been told is to ensure that the gearbox oil is changed regularly which restores speed and smoothness.

Just now, drumsterphil said:

One thing I've been told is to ensure that the gearbox oil is changed regularly which restores speed and smoothness.

Not by Porsche, you haven't.  Service intervals are every 96k miles on older cars and 120k miles on newer ones.  Maybe the oil suppliers have got to you or garages?

2 minutes ago, Araf said:

Not by Porsche, you haven't.  Service intervals are every 96k miles on older cars and 120k miles on newer ones.  Maybe the oil suppliers have got to you or garages?

Correct, not by Porsche but by someone who works on these cars day in day out.

In the same way that people (myself included) change engine oil sooner than Porsche service intervals, I don't see why gearbox oil should be any different. Think of it this way, if you have a tip box that is sluggish then makes sense to me to do the simple things first before going down the remap route.

The remap can possibly do other things too. In my AMG it meant in sport mode it would hold the revs longer and not be so keen to change up. The shift speed is also a bit quicker. Also full manual mode was better in that unless you really messed it up it wouldn't change unless you flicked the paddle whereas it would auto change even though it's in manual mode. 

Whenever I've had an auto one of the first things I get done is an ATF change. 

11 hours ago, drumsterphil said:
11 hours ago, drumsterphil said:

Think of it this way, if you have a tip box that is sluggish then makes sense to me to do the simple things first before going down the remap route.

That's why I always suggest people try turning it off and turning it back on again. :D 

As for your drawing parallels with engine oil, that's a fair point. :shutup: 

The advice I heard from Northway Porsche was that if it works fine, then leave the ATF well alone. If there's an issue, then maybe it might help, but I wouldn't assume it will always improve matters.

Archived