Oil Temp and Cold Weather

Leonard

Noticed my Oil Temp was creeping between 100 and 104 this morning whilst literally cruising in to work (16 miles).

Pretty sure under normal driving it sits at 90 once warm. Don't suppose this was due to it being zero degrees this morning, or is the car not that clever?

Also hit a blackbird and had to pull it out of my front grill when I got to work.. I really need some Zunsports but having to remove them every time car goes back to Porsche seems very annoying...

45 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Also hit a blackbird and had to pull it out of my front grill when I got to work.. I really need some Zunsports but having to remove them every time car goes back to Porsche seems very annoying...

You don't.  My 981, still under warranty, was serviced recently and I asked the Service Advisor about the Zunsports before the car went in.   He said the only time it would become an issue is for the 111 point inspection prior to a warranty extension. 

That said, now that my OPC has seen that the car has Zunsports fitted, I wonder what might happen if I had a warranty issue relating to cooling or air-con?  (I've no idea whether or not they might keep a record of this.)

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Noticed my Oil Temp was creeping between 100 and 104 this morning whilst literally cruising in to work (16 miles).

Pretty sure under normal driving it sits at 90 once warm. Don't suppose this was due to it being zero degrees this morning, or is the car not that clever?

Would be worth letting it idle and see if the temp climbs higher, maybe a fan problem? See if you can hear them cut in. On most cars cruising along there is enough air driven through the rads to cool the car without the fan, but maybe the Boxster needs the fans to suck air through?

Check coolant level as well to rule out a leak somewhere.

In Sport mode mine runs at about 90-92. In standard mode it run about 102-104 degrees.

15 minutes ago, Jofoley said:

In Sport mode mine runs at about 90-92. In standard mode it run about 102-104 degrees.

Same here.

Sport is around 90 if not pushing on, but obviously somewhat higher sometimes;).  Normal mode will be around 100.

Cool cheers guys I was in normal mode for once as was happy culling out this morning :) Normally is Sport mode.

Will assess on way home and have a think about the Zunsports

42 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Cool cheers guys I was in normal mode for once as was happy culling out this morning :) Normally is Sport mode.

Funnily enough, I was bimbling along in moving traffic yesterday and noticed the oil temperature had crept up to 100°, although the water temperature remained at 90°.  As soon as I cleared the traffic and hit Sport mode the oil temperature dropped back to the low 90's°

Sure you've got nothing to worry about, @Leonard.

5 hours ago, Leonard said:

What else did you cull other than the blackbird??

9 hours ago, Leonard said:

Pretty sure under normal driving it sits at 90 once warm.

Sounds about right. Mine does the same.

Archived