4 year service

Paulo123

My local OPCs interpretation of the warranty is that they will only issue it if the car has been kept in the Porsche network and that Porsche complete all work that I don't do myself. :( 

1 hour ago, Araf said:

My local OPCs interpretation of the warranty is that they will only issue it if the car has been kept in the Porsche network and that Porsche complete all work that I don't do myself. :( 

There's two things here.

1 - does having it serviced/repaired outside opc affect existing warranty

2 - will Porsche offer extended warranty if car has been serviced outside OPC or has none Porsche parts.

1 - Porsche must honour original Manufacturers warranty as long as servicing/ repairing with oem (or equivalent quality) items. With extended warranty there is potentially some wiggle room for Porsche as it's not directly covered by the EU ruling, but it looks like the ombudsmans view is that that must also honour extended warranties.

2 - Clearly it's up to Porsche whether they offer you the option of an extended warranty, certainly with none oem Parts they will not, with Indi servicing it may depend on your OPC.

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

2 - Clearly it's up to Porsche whether they offer you the option of an extended warranty, certainly with none oem Parts they will not, with Indi servicing it may depend on your OPC.

Hmm, surely all OPCs must all stick to the same policy as regards Indy servicing and warranties, otherwise, does it mean that they can and do all interpret the rules differently?

I can see a scenario where you may be refused a warrantied repair from one OPC and you have to work your way round them until you find one who's aggreable!

In fact you could have everyone with doubtful warranty claims heading to a recognised OPC who is known as a soft touch.??

that might upset the insurance co. Underwriting the repairs!

This is a bit of a minefield, is there any written guidelines with regard to the rules and regs with reference to what's is acceptable for the warranty and and what's not?

You seem to have misread what I put.  I never said it impacts whether a warranty repair was approved. I said it may impact whether they offer you a new warranty or not.

Having said that yours is a fair point and I am sure Porsche do have rules on what conditions have to be met for a warranty to be offered, hence the 111 point check. However we know that certain elements can be interpreted differently by different OPCs (e.g., grills, some insist on removal before warranty will be offered, some don't seem to bother)

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

You seem to have misread what I put.  I never said it impacts whether a warranty repair was approved. I said it may impact whether they offer you a new warranty or not.

Having said that yours is a fair point and I am sure Porsche do have rules on what conditions have to be met for a warranty to be offered, hence the 111 point check. However we know that certain elements can be interpreted differently by different OPCs (e.g., grills, some insist on removal before warranty will be offered, some don't seem to bother)

Sorry, yes I did misread your post.  

It would be great if you could know in advance for sure whether a warranty claim would be honoured by the OPC network if you had a Indy Service or repair even using oem parts. Seems to be a lot of uncertainty regarding this!?

Next quote which seems decent is

Major service, spark plugs, brake fluid and belt check at £880 inc vat 

worth noting the plugs were 250 quid so much cheaper than some other people's prices

It also includes a belt check and engine mount check in the price…… which is normally 70 quid and 70 quid respectively.

it also includes Porsche club discount

wow Porsche prices are just all over the place when you compare them !

however this seems like a half decent priced one so I booked it in, 

This is the service guys printout to show all options and extras 

that can be done on a major service ------

Major Service (4 Years / 40k Miles) - Fixed Price

Major Maintenance 2013 > (Main Work)

£615.00

9A110722400

ENGINE OIL FILTER ELEMENT MOBIL 1 ENGINE OIL 0W/40 SUMP PLUG WASHER SCREENWASH ADDITIVE PARTICLE FILTER

AIR INTAKE PRE-FILTER TOPUP/BAG
SEALING RING

Add. Maintenance Every - 80K Miles / 4 Years

Check Air Bag, Trans./Engine Mounts Check And Front Susp. Mounts

£58.80

001 NO PARTS REQUIRED

Add. Maintenance - Spark Plugs

Every 60,000 miles Or Every 4 Years - (Including Wheels Remove & Reinstall)

£272.28

99917015190 SPARK PLUG

Add. Maintenance - Drive Belt Check 040K Miles / 4 Years

Drive Belt Check - (Inc.Rear Wall Flap Remove And Reinstall)

£50.40

001 NO PARTS REQUIRED

Replace Brake Fluid - Fixed Price

Brake Fluid Replace - Manual Transmission

£95.00

00004330552 BRAKE FLUID

That's a north west OPC

dont want to say specifically which one as they are discounting quite a few items to get near my price and hinted Porsche like them to stick to the set prices and not discount at all

however thought I'd post it so others can compare prices and see that OPCs are willing to do deals.

1 minute ago, Greenman said:

That looks not bad if it's OPC. Which OPC is that?

Just over a grand? :o  And that's before they tell you "Your discs are due for replacement sir" etc to add a further £1500 onto the bill.

Just now, Araf said:

Just over a grand? :o  And that's before they tell you "Your discs are due for replacement sir" etc to add a further £1500 onto the bill.

I know it's crazy but That's their set prices

they got down to 880 quid in the end for all the work

brakes getting done this week at an Indy with OEM parts

Im sure there will be more other optional extras on the day as well !

16 minutes ago, Paulo123 said:

I know it's crazy but That's their set prices

they got down to 880 quid in the end for all the work

brakes getting done this week at an Indy with OEM parts

Im sure there will be more other optional extras on the day as well !

What brakes needed doing after all, was it just front and rear pads or the full monty? ?

2 minutes ago, Paulo123 said:

Just pads all round mate, 

disks were good to go again at 25k miles

That's good news?

9 hours ago, Paulo123 said:

Add. Maintenance - Spark Plugs

Every 60,000 miles Or Every 4 Years - (Including Wheels Remove & Reinstall)

£272.28

99917015190 SPARK PLUG

The plugs are Bosch and too buy are around £8 each (of course i dont know what Porsche charge) so they are charging around £220 to change them.:o Around £44 to supply and change a plug, at least i will be able to save around £90 when mine is due.:D

It annoys me that charge for wheel removal and re install, they would have had the wheels off anyway to check etc and the brake fluid change so why charge again? Reminds me when my son had the cam belt done on his Fiat , i told them to change the water pump at the same time, this was 2hrs work as they has to remove the cam belt to do it, but i said you already have the cam belt off etc, they just couldn't change it or the willingness to do so. Set times and prices they said. A good independent only charged me parts to do the pump as the cam belt was done at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

There were a few discussions about this today at Beaulieu

Sharing my costs as promised.  20k.4yr service last year, including plugs, was £715 at Portsmouth OPC.

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, Simo_UK said:

Sharing my costs as promised.  20k.4yr service last year, including plugs, was £715 at Portsmouth OPC.

Hope that helps

That's a good price did it include brake fluid change as well?

1 hour ago, Simo_UK said:

Mmmm. Not sure. I'll  check

I'm all within warranty so I hope so!

Thanks, it should have been done as porsche recommend a change every 2 years!

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, Simo_UK said:

Hope that helps

Hi @Simo_UK I think it might have been me you were having at least one of those conversations with on Sunday - thanks by the way, was really useful.

My 981 is now 4 years old so needs the major service and also the extended warranty and Porsche assist also both expire at the same time !!

So I have been doing some thinking and research on the forum and on this topic in particular. So thanks to everyone for posting, it has been really useful and I guess a great example of why forums like this are so popular and therefore so many people use them :rolleyes:

Anyway, to the details. I got a quote from my local OPC at Hatfield of £1,173 including VAT for the standard 4 yr main service and also including spark plugs, replacing tyre sealant, checking air bags, checking engine mounts, checking front suspension mounts, drive belt check and brake fluid replacement. Not sure why they list some of these items separately but assume its so they can charge more. I spoke to the service manager and the only discount they would give was the 10% off parts and labour for being a Porsche GB club member.

I then got a quote for exactly the same from Jaz Porsche at St Albans which came out at £800 including a loan car during the service. So I have booked up with Jaz and decided to move to an indy. To renew the warranty would have been well over £1K per year so decided it wasn't worth it either.

Archived