Inside edge tyre wear on front

Toddie

I have just noticed that my front tyres are wearing uneven across the tread, inside edge is wearing more than the rest, about 5mm outside and going to about 3mm inside. anyone ideas as to what is causing this ie tracking etc? or is this normal on 986 S running 17"?  Rear tyres wearing even across the tyre. Front tyres are elderly Pirelli which i want to change, but need to get the issue sorted first.

Yes, I'd guess unless done recently it needs a geo.

I'd recommend getting a full four wheel geometry check and adjustment from someone that actually knows these cars.  Not just a basic tracking set up from a tyre place.   It will cost more but it makes such a difference to the handling and feel of the car at speed if it's set up properly for toe,  camber and castor and not just banged roughly into spec. 

Its also possible that due to wear on the suspension that it won't be possible to bring it into balance properly,  somewhere that knows porsches will identity that properly and suggest what to do and not just settle for numbers close to or within the basic spec. 

Had mine done three times in my ownership,  cost about £250 each time but worth it. 

5 hours ago, RCS said:

Yes, I'd guess unless done recently it needs a geo.

@RCS  Rod, Anyone local to us that you would recommend?

18 minutes ago, Toddie said:

@RCS  Rod, Anyone local to us that you would recommend?

Never used anyone locally - I use @Revolution Porsche in Brighouse, they did mine - think they're quoting £100 at present on their website.  There's also Ben at Rennspeed down in Retford - he does it 'traditionally', I know @drumsterphil had his done there and was very pleased with the resulting improvement.   @mike597 makes a good point about possible suspension wear.

On 4 May 2017 at 0:17 PM, Toddie said:

I have just noticed that my front tyres are wearing uneven across the tread, inside edge is wearing more than the rest, about 5mm outside and going to about 3mm inside. anyone ideas as to what is causing this ie tracking etc? or is this normal on 986 S running 17"?  Rear tyres wearing even across the tyre. Front tyres are elderly Pirelli which i want to change, but need to get the issue sorted first.

As @RCS says Ben at Renspeed (Retford) sorted mine out. Old school method but can't deny the effectiveness; thoroughly recommended.

34 minutes ago, neil.c said:

I would expect more wear on the inside edges than the outside if the car is running a bit of negative camber, which is good for reducing understeer.

Standard cars run about -0.5 degrees front camber. That's nothing and shouldn't affect the tyre wear. I run approx -2.25 to -2.5 and no excessive tyre wear. 

17 hours ago, PaulQ said:

All that hooning around corners :)

Exactly.  Motorway mileage on Porsches will wear out inner edges.  Track work or lots of roundabouts does the outside shoulders no good. :)

After replacing coffin and control arms on the front I have now started to scrub off the inner edges. Have decided to let them wear a little more and then get tracking done along with two new tyres. It's amazing how changing parts can effect the geometry!

Archived