Glass window roof conversion pics, please!

Cossie Si

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Cossie Si said:

Anybody had the glass windowed roof conversion roof done and have any pictures please! I'm looking at the Carhood version and the BAS version. Also, i've read there's an issue in getting access to the engine bay, but believe this can be got around. Thanks in advance!

I have the carhood warehouse one and live in Manchester, if you want to have a look PM me. It was fitted when I bought it so I don;t know any different but it works fine, de-mist is something I wouldn't want to be without.

5 hours ago, Terryg said:

I have the carhood warehouse one and live in Manchester, if you want to have a look PM me. It was fitted when I bought it so I don;t know any different but it works fine, de-mist is something I wouldn't want to be without.

Cheers, that would be great?

The facelift roof has an extra support bar and thus sits more upright.

Physically it is only approx. 2cm's larger glass than the CHW ones.

I'm fitting Photobucket as usual (I really must sort my pictures on to a better provider)

7 minutes ago, Patt said:

001_zpstuonil5x.jpg

Is that the posh wrap that changes colour when you throw hot water over it? ;) 

1 hour ago, Cossie Si said:

Cheers, that would be great?

It's garaged in the Longsight area (yep I know, don't say it) just let me know and I'll meet you there.

24 minutes ago, Terryg said:

It's garaged in the Longsight area (yep I know, don't say it) just let me know and I'll meet you there.

Nice one! I have a carpet shop in Openshaw, so not that far. I'll message you when I can make it and it's convenient, for you.

1 minute ago, Cossie Si said:

Nice one! I have a carpet shop in Openshaw, so not that far. I'll message you when I can make it and it's convenient, for you.

Okay we can talk business too in that case!

1 hour ago, Araf said:

One Sunday night the 617 Geese squadron from the lake just behind me decided to use Molly, and only Molly, as night target practice.

Despite every panel being hit, there were a good 20-30 hits around the car too.

Oh and yes, you have to be more specific when putting the roof into service mode.

The bonus is clear view all year round, a demister and no real need for a hard top in the winter.

25 minutes ago, Patt said:

One Sunday night the 617 Geese squadron from the lake just behind me decided to use Molly, and only Molly, as night target practice.

Despite every panel being hit, there were a good 20-30 hits around the car too.

26 minutes ago, Patt said:

Oh and yes, you have to be more specific when putting the roof into service mode.

The bonus is clear view all year round, a demister and no real need for a hard top in the winter.

Cheers! I'm sold. Hope to get to have a look at Terry's, then make my decision, which to go with.

On 2017-5-9 at 1:30 PM, Araf said:

IMG_0554_zpsu6bbjkmd.jpg

Hi Patt, I see you have the 997 TB & T on the STD 986 aircleaner, does this make a big difference?

yes.

On Molly it only added 6bhp and 6 lbft throughout the rev range, but it really wakes the car up. Think GT car turns to sports car.

And it's a cheap mod to do too.

55 minutes ago, Patt said:

yes.

On Molly it only added 6bhp and 6 lbft throughout the rev range, but it really wakes the car up. Think GT car turns to sports car.

And it's a cheap mod to do too.

Great :) mine arrived a week or so ago. 997 TB and T  pipe for £75 off the bay... Have you de-snorkelled too? I also want to look into do an infill inside the T to make it a Y for better flow but need to get some time to do the 'engineeringy bit'

I had a read of this..
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/boxster-performance-modifications/p357-porsche-75mm-tb-and-cayman-plenum-upgrade-for-987.html 

and this too..
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/55966-intake-plenum-911-throttle-body.html 

These do not seem to be available anymore..
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoTorque.html 

Ye s de-snorked and I have a Pipercross filter fitted too.  They add an aural improvement, more than anything else. ~Just as replacing the intake pipe does too.

There was a conversation at the Rollers last weekend on this same subject.  there are also some bits on EDC's owners thread for the blue car where we did his.

I'd recommend using the original t-piece hoses and soaking them in boiling water to stretch them over the larger plastic t-piece.  It's a better fit than using tape to make generic reducers fit.

Have a search on here, someone made their own diverter in brass, could have been Marseille.

good luck, and enjoy

I've got the new roof with heated rear glass window, it is the perfect size and you lose no visabilty, engine access is fine, it's not as good as the original plastic version but how often do you actually need access to the engine.

Bags in Poole fitted mine, there were a few issues with the fitting which I wasn't happy with but the original manufacturer  in South Wales came out and picked my car up and sorted it all out for me, so 5 star service if there are any teething problems they will sort it out.

i went with the red roof, as I have the Boxster red interior fairly good match.

I'm planning the glass roof conversion this summer, Boxster chopped my plastic screen (a little too literally) and split it one cold Spring morning. Did get a quote of £100 all in for a new plastic screen but think I'll bite the bullet and get a new roof as a new B pillar tension cable is needed anyway on one side. That said, the roof itself is in V good condition.

CW seem very competitive compared with other fitters, was getting quotes of circa £1k in the Midlands. 

Might talk to my indie about buying direct from BAS and getting it fitted, what do you reckon the labour is on removing the old one and sticking the new one on?

hi Djbox66 ,were abouts did you get the quote from, for the replacement plastic rear screen? Was that to take out cracked one and replace, not repair? Sounds cheap though.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:53 AM, Djbox66 said:

new B pillar tension cable is needed anyway on one side. That said, the roof itself is in V good condition.

My roof was popping the cable out of the side both sides... it was part of the roof not being under the leaf spring tensioners both sides... Very easy fix if it is this... undo top torx head. rotate spring over the clip. clip under spring. rotate back spring. re-thread torx into spring + hole. DO NOT drop TORX screw. Fixed my roof issue.  Interested in a glass roof but will have to wait.

John 

Thanks John,

I tried this technique on my previous B pillar issue, no use, the cable itself has severed and needs replacing, a tricky job requiring detachment of part of the roof canvass.

This was the place offering a new plastic screen for £100, the chap seemed pretty solid.

http://marshalltextiles.co.uk/content/car-trims-interiors-and-hood-repairs

Nevertheless, I have purchased a new roof with glass screen from BAS and my Indy will install it for 1 to 1.5 hours labour.

Archived