Glass window roof conversion pics, please!

Cossie Si

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/05/2017 at 11:53 AM, Cossie Si said:

Cheers, that would be great?

Just saw this, mine has a CHW glass screen and it is a bit awkward to get at the engine. I've resorted to propping up the glass bit out of the way or it just flops over the engine cover.

Here's some piccys

9E2D1101-EA1C-4D46-9D3E-0A5C5F6ABDD8_zpsD

4F36BC7C-E6A4-459A-BDB6-6A797EC8D5F1_zps

9D457ABA-EE6D-4827-802B-C930D861185E_zps

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Just saw this, mine has a CHW glass screen and it is a bit awkward to get at the engine. I've resorted to propping up the glass bit out of the way or it just flops over the engine cover.

Here's some piccys

9E2D1101-EA1C-4D46-9D3E-0A5C5F6ABDD8_zpsD

4F36BC7C-E6A4-459A-BDB6-6A797EC8D5F1_zps

9D457ABA-EE6D-4827-802B-C930D861185E_zps

Thanks!

5 hours ago, 986CKY said:

I have emailed the above place to enquire about a solution to my hood. No reply as of yet. 

Apparently the chap's recently had hand surgery so his typing may not be up to much!

I've decided on the BAS roof. Saw a CHW roof, at a show in Kendal, the weekend before last. Wasn't keen on the shape and position of the glass. Quality was good, just prefer the BAS design. Just got to find the time to get it booked now! Thanks the photos and the offer from Terry, to view :)

On 2017-5-21 at 6:54 PM, Djbox66 said:

Thanks John,

I tried this technique on my previous B pillar issue, no use, the cable itself has severed and needs replacing, a tricky job requiring detachment of part of the roof canvass.

This was the place offering a new plastic screen for £100, the chap seemed pretty solid.

http://marshalltextiles.co.uk/content/car-trims-interiors-and-hood-repairs

Nevertheless, I have purchased a new roof with glass screen from BAS and my Indy will install it for 1 to 1.5 hours labour.

Just to confirm, fitting the BAS roof turns out to be a much bigger job, quoted £300 plus for labour..gonna go for it as getting down to chessington ain't easy!

On 2017-5-24 at 9:14 PM, Cossie Si said:

I've decided on the BAS roof. Saw a CHW roof, at a show in Kendal, the weekend before last. Wasn't keen on the shape and position of the glass. Quality was good, just prefer the BAS design. Just got to find the time to get it booked now! Thanks the photos and the offer from Terry, to view :)

No problem, hope it all goes well for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I do like the look of the BAS conversion so I've done some research and here are the current prices:

BAS direct in Cwmbran £695 including VAT fitted although this is going up 5% in November 

K Baggs £810 including VAT fitted they use the BAS hood

K Baggs only replacement plastic window £300 including VAT fitted

CHW £695 including VAT fitted 

My question is do you think replacing the hood for a glass window version increases or decreases or neither the value of the car.  Does the purist prefer the original plastic window look and longer term keeping it original hold its value better?

11 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

I do like the look of the BAS conversion so I've done some research and here are the current prices:

BAS direct in Cwmbran £695 including VAT fitted although this is going up 5% in November 

K Baggs £810 including VAT fitted they use the BAS hood

K Baggs only replacement plastic window £300 including VAT fitted

CHW £695 including VAT fitted 

My question is do you think replacing the hood for a glass window version increases or decreases or neither the value of the car.  Does the purist prefer the original plastic window look and longer term keeping it original hold its value better?

I don’t think the purist will give a damn, the plastic windows are horrible, fragile and fog up.

1 hour ago, the baron said:

I don’t think the purist will give a damn, the plastic windows are horrible, fragile and fog up.

I wouldnt say I was exactly a purist, but I prefer the look of the plastic screen and you have better visibility due to the bigger size. 

But they don't last long especially if your car is parked outside, and having to fold the thing is a pita. 

Thank you all I appreciate your views.  I'm totally with you on the plastic, PIA to live with and difficult to maintain its quality if you park outside as they do go very brittle at surprisingly not that low a temp.  BAS it is then as imho I think its the closest to the original look.

The glass window is only fractionally smaller - the difference is the angle is increased so it can still fold.  The ideal solution is a facelift glass roof and frame as the frame as an extra station to bring the rear screen more upright.

Personally I didn't';t like the look of the BAS hood.  Something about the shape and fitting of the glass just reminded me too much of a cheap kit car roof.

If I was looking for another 986 I would bee a glass roof, be it OEM or aftermarket as a plus point, and would also consider it a good selling point.

If I bought a 986 with plastic I would buy a 2nd hand facelift frame and get CHW to fit a new cover and glass.  Aside from getting lucking and finding a mint 2nd hand facelift with frame, this is the most cost effective way to get the most desirable finish.

I had a facelift roof fitted,  the glass is smaller than the plastic window but my roof is always down when driving.  mine was £400 fitted but I was having a lot of other jobs done at the same time?

• 1 month later...

Archived