DAB issue 718 S

JustCruzin

My DAB reception has deteriorated quite significantly over the last 2 months. Stations which I normally listen to get very sporadic reception now. When brand new I didn't seem to have any issues. Has anybody encountered the same? My wife's Nissan gets perfect reception on the same stations.

So ok, I didn't get a Cayman for the DAB radio but I paid ££££s for the Bose system!

Any advice from you wise folk very much appreciated.

Cheers JC :D

Yes, I use a Transcend Dashcam which runs off the centre console usb port but I have taken this completely out of the equation and there was no improvement. Could any DAB reception component possibly have been upset by a rather scary slide into a curb at 36 mph all caught ironically on said dashcam (ice on the road at the end of last year). Both alloys were badly curbed.

Cheers JC :D

The reason I asked was because a number of these 12volt USB adaptors are very noisy (in RF terms) and can cause significant interference in the broadcast bands. Even the CE marked ones can cause problems. @Stuart21UK had this very problem.

On FM you can often hear the degradation of the signal but on DAB the station just drops out.

So you have unplugged any accessories from the aux/cigarette sockets? 

Worth checking with porsche regards any upgrades? Mine is fine but I struggled with a merc I had where dab was rubbish and hardly any stations .I mentioned this when in for a service and there was a software upgrade for it and bingo all good

18 hours ago, topradio said:

The reason I asked was because a number of these 12volt USB adaptors are very noisy (in RF terms) and can cause significant interference in the broadcast bands. Even the CE marked ones can cause problems. @Stuart21UK had this very problem.

On FM you can often hear the degradation of the signal but on DAB the station just drops out.

So you have unplugged any accessories from the aux/cigarette sockets? 

correct...my FM was ok except when the FM signal was poor, the degrading of the signal by the cig lighter caused it to pretty much go all hissy then

Thanks for the replies. It really doesn't seem to be due to the cig lighter adapter. I will get zero signal on some stations where as in our Nissan it will be crystal clear, and that's after plugging the dashcam into the Nissan. The software update seems interesting. How do I go about doing that? Does it mean a visit to the Porsche Centre?

All this aside though, the car is truly fab and I must admit you topless folk must be absolutely loving it at the moment!

Cheers JC :D

It's interesting that you have this issue in a Cayman. the DAB reception in my Boxster isn't quite as good as my wife's car but it's only slightly worse, I always put this down to the inability to have a roof aerial. Of course a Cayman could do this but I suspect they just use the same setup as in the Boxster and this (understandably) impacts the reception quality. However if you reception is worse than it was I would be on to your OPC, of course it could be local DAB transmissions that have changed but your Nissan is unaffected due to a Superior reception generally.

If it's any consolation my DAB reception is pretty diabolical. My OPC did system reset a while ago which made no difference and have said there's not much else they can do. I've recently had a new windscreen and the reception is no better or worse after that so I guess that rules out a dodgy connection from the windscreen aerial.

FM stations are still broadcasting though and if the DAB reception starts to upset me I'll just have the drop the roof, switch on the PSE and listen to the Porsche Orchestra instead - oh well, I can think of worse problems to have!

3 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

drop the roof, switch on the PSE and listen to the Porsche Orchestra instead - oh well, I can think of worse problems to have!

:D:D:D Sadly I can't drop the roof and I'm deficient two pots with a Dyson thrown in somewhere. My PSE orchestra sounds a little submerged I fear!

Yes, it took me a while to figure out that thin line in the windscreen. It must be be the thinnest aerial ever made! Anyway, top advice from top people. Will keep you posted.

Cheers JC :D

Trace the antenna connection from the back of the radio to the windshield? There used to be several connections and one of them could have come loose. Was even an amplifier involved.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread my DAB radio is pants in my Cayman but in the Cayenne it's fine got it booked in for it to be looked at personally I think it's to do with the 12v socket under the glove box.

9 hours ago, Coxey said:

Just found this thread my DAB radio is pants in my Cayman but in the Cayenne it's fine got it booked in for it to be looked at personally I think it's to do with the 12v socket under the glove box.

Why, what have you got plugged into it?

29 minutes ago, Coxey said:

My iPhone as I have my iPod plugged into the USB in the glove box

Try unplugging anything that's taking power from the aux or cigarette power sockets (including any USB adaptors) and see if the DAB reception improves.

Archived