Amberectomy tomorrow

Kooky 1976

6 minutes ago, Jackal81 said:

wish i could grow the balls to do it , its something i would like done but im to scared of F******g up my headlights !!

The only things that can really go wrong are:

1. you drop the headlamp (I laid it on a towel on the bench to protect it)

2. you deform the bulb 'socket' by melting it with the stem of your soldering iron (just dont rush it and don't use the edge of the socket to rest your iron. If you end up melting it just reshape with a dremmel or needle files)

• 1 year later...

Just do a search for amberectomy. It's been done lots of times. 

5 times I've performed the operation in my kitchen.

Advice: -

use an old or cheap soldering iron. I know have a separate iron just for this purpose.

Long nose pliers a must.

Don't forget small pieces can easily be shaken out through the light bulb holes.

BE BRAVE

Doctor's orders have hit hard, and my fee for this job is now a bottle of vodka (I've had to trim down my Jaffa Cake intake)

On 13 de mayo de 2017 at 10:41 PM, Kooky 1976 said:

Any last words of advice?

Good luck!

It does look so much better after.  I will do mine one day, as it will remove the sole surviving amber (the devil's work) from my car:lol::lol:.

6 hours ago, Patt said:

5 times I've performed the operation in my kitchen.

Advice: -

use an old or cheap soldering iron. I know have a separate iron just for this purpose.

Long nose pliers a must.

Don't forget small pieces can easily be shaken out through the light bulb holes.

BE BRAVE

Doctor's orders have hit hard, and my fee for this job is now a bottle of vodka (I've had to trim down my Jaffa Cake intake)

Thanks Patt do you have a link to a good write up on how to go about doing it as I have read loads of posts about people actually doing them and showing before and after photos but all of the photos have gone due to photobucket changing.  Also haven’t seen any actual how to guides just discussions about it.  Thanks for the tip on the soldering iron too as I only have a good digital one so will buy a cheap one.

If I lived a bit nearer I would jump at getting you to do it for me Patt and paying with many Jaffa cakes ?

Not seen a guide in years.

I remember the first time I did a set I used baking foil to protect the plastic surround of the hole.  But that just caused to much hassle and got in the way.

Simply melt through the orange lens inside the housing and use the pliers to snap away the molten.

When you start to get confident you'll melt out larger triangles of plastic and snap off bits just using the pliers.

I take the lid off my swing bin so I can the majority of plastic in their.  I also had a damp sponge for cleaning the tools of melted plastic.

Just be mindful not to melt the rim of the hole too badly else the cap may not fit back on.

Oh and don't forget to buy a pair of silvervission or diadem bulbs to fit once finished.

3 hours ago, Patt said:

Not seen a guide in years.

I remember the first time I did a set I used baking foil to protect the plastic surround of the hole.  But that just caused to much hassle and got in the way.

Simply melt through the orange lens inside the housing and use the pliers to snap away the molten.

When you start to get confident you'll melt out larger triangles of plastic and snap off bits just using the pliers.

I take the lid off my swing bin so I can the majority of plastic in their.  I also had a damp sponge for cleaning the tools of melted plastic.

Just be mindful not to melt the rim of the hole too badly else the cap may not fit back on.

Oh and don't forget to buy a pair of silvervission or diadem bulbs to fit once finished.

Great thanks Patt that seems very straight forward 

Yep just melt and snap off, repeat until complete.

Shake out any stray bits and wonder why they were there to start with. 

I did Molly's when I was still drunk on Boxing day

Archived