Project Boxster 987 R

CliveH

£75 ish for a used 75mm throttle body and Cayman plenum was something like £125 from memory. A few bits of silicone Jose and jubilee clips. 

Thanks very much couple more questions if I may,where's the best place to buy used parts and secondly I have the carnewal gt exhausts with gerts larger chrome tips would this benefit a custom map

regards dave 

25 minutes ago, tuonodave1 said:

Thanks very much couple more questions if I may,where's the best place to buy used parts and secondly I have the carnewal gt exhausts with gerts larger chrome tips would this benefit a custom map

regards dave 

Hi Dave 

Used throttle bodies are easily available off eBay, the Cayman plenum is much harder to find used and I gave up and just bought a new one (£135)

7 minutes ago, lordlee said:

So what would I need to buy for my 3.4? A 997 plenum and throttle body from a 3.8 or a 3.6?

I'd be interested to know if this setup would fit as it would be cheaper than using the IPD plenum.

Not sure of the 997 throttle body size though

The basis of the mod is to go to the next size up TB. So depending on what car you have then 68>75, 75>82. You just need to find the corresponding plenum as the opening of course matches the TB size. You then need to look at what else connects to the plenum eg any intake hoses and AOS to make sure that you can keep the same arrangement, or you then need to mod to suit.

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Any reason no-one just goes straight for the biggest available, eg 68>82?

Because there's a lot to intake tuning then just a bigger hole. You need to consider the mass and velocity going in, what the head and valves can actually push through and what the exhaust can get out the other side.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I was thinking that very thing! Would a remap not sort it all out or is it due to what the head can physically flow?  Has anyone put an 82mm on a 3.2 boxster, if so what were the results?  I fancy doing this and a carnewell GT Exhaust in due course. 

Berty987 is the guru on the throttle body upgrades and he will tell you exactly why it would be pointless but for our 3.2 the 75mm is the way to go!

34349755800_c2ba2eca9a_b.jpg

Mine is working great and I m not suffering any vacuum leaks which is great ? 

Im still trying to get a few miles on it before I say it's 100% reliable but I've done 50 so far and know issues at all ?

8 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Berty987 is the guru on the throttle body upgrades and he will tell you exactly why it would be pointless but for our 3.2 the 75mm is the way to go!

34349755800_c2ba2eca9a_b.jpg

Mine is working great and I m not suffering any vacuum leaks which is great ? 

Im still trying to get a few miles on it before I say it's 100% reliable but I've done 50 so far and know issues at all ?

Good to know :) How does the butt dyno feel?

Well the seats are readily available, but no used ones currently. The ones at the breakers have already sold, no surprise there. Best price for new ones is over £8,000 - could buy two 986s for that!! So the search goes on there but early days yet.

The wheels at the breakers are up for grabs at £2,160 fully refurbished with so so tyres. New wheels (no tyres) are about twice that price but I may have another plan...

The butt dyno results are positive ?

On the 987s it feels more positive through the full rev range but equally the car drives and feels as normal. Sort of oem with a bit more punch ? 

On the 986s mine was twitchy on the lower revs, first gear car park speeds. But there was a noticeable punch in the mid range and gear changes at motorway speeds were fantastic. I think the 986 would have benefited from a re map as this may have improved lower end and smoothed the overall experience although most people don't bother.

Im going to see how my 987 goes and I may go for a remap to see if the throttle body and exhaust can be tuned to work any better together but as the car drives so well I wouldn't need to get a remap ?

4 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Im going to see how my 987 goes and I may go for a remap to see if the throttle body and exhaust can be tuned to work any better together but as the car drives so well I wouldn't need to get a remap ?

Thanks for the further feedback. What exhaust setup are you running with this? Sorry if I missed that!

Mine is a cat back valved exhaust system which deletes the secondary cats. It's a Topgear/designtek exhaust which is switchable from slightly louder than standard to loud Sports sound.

Great quality and sound ?

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

9 hours ago, edc said:

Because there's a lot to intake tuning then just a bigger hole. You need to consider the mass and velocity going in, what the head and valves can actually push through and what the exhaust can get out the other side.

Exactly this. ^^^^

If you are seriously looking at getting more power from the engines then you will need a bigger cam, to open the valves wider and for longer.  You will also want overlap, to help with scavenging, but this then means you will no longer have an MOT friendly car.

You need to calculate the airflow of each component, and then the most restrictive will give you your theoretically best horsepower. Unfortunately there's not the sort of information around that you find for big V8 lumps.

If you want Spyder light weight ethos rather than original parts then there are plenty of good quality carbon and lightweight seat options. Similarly for wheels Team Dynamics wheels are good value for strength and light weight. 

23 hours ago, lordlee said:

So what would I need to buy for my 3.4? A 997 plenum and throttle body from a 3.8 or a 3.6?

perhaps drop a PM to Mark Shead,;-)

he fettled and took his 3.2 out to 3.4 , and then recently added the larger throttle body.

I know where there is a set of black leather GT3 seats, but they won't be cheap !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Patt said:

perhaps drop a PM to Mark Shead,;-)

he fettled and took his 3.2 out to 3.4 , and then recently added the larger throttle body.

I know where there is a set of black leather GT3 seats, but they won't be cheap !

I saw these an thought they're not bad for a bag of sand. Not original but look it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-REAL-CARBON-LEATHER-PORSCHE-CARRERA-GT-look-911-997-GT2-GT3-SPORTS-SEATS-/152557207224?hash=item23851e3eb8:g:3BcAAOSw0hlZIqnN

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Thanks for the heads up Patt. 

Tried to PM you but the system says you can't accept messages. Perhaps you could send me details? ?