Low oil warning ??

Paulo123

Hi all

today while at the car wash I was messing about with the multi function controls and I found the oil level one,

ive got to admit I have always relied on warnings for oil in previous cars, however when I clicked it, it showed oil at minimum level and just had one bar lit out of 5 or 6.

itwas coloured amber

however I have had no message come up to top it up ?? 

Have any of you guys had messages pop up to top up or do you just regularly check the oil level ??

its probably in the instructions manual but I haven't got one 

cheers

I have had the MFD warn me that the oil level was dangerously low and I must stop the engine - it was lying and I haven't had it happen again.

@Daniel Joseph had the same and the car was towed to the OPC where they changed the sensor.

The problem is that without a physical dipstick there is no idea if its crying wolf or not. The engine holds a lot of oil and if it was burning it at a rate that would cause the level to drop quickly there would be evidence of it on the back of the car.

That's right.  It was an intermittently faulty oil level sensor and I've had no further problems since it was replaced.

Unlike the 987, which offers you an oil level check every time you turn on the ignition, the 981 only gives you an automatic warning if the level drops below the minimum.  Otherwise, you have to check it using the multi-function control.

There is in theory about 0.4 litres between each bar on the oil level display. 1.7 litres between min and max.  In you position I would add  1 litre then drive a bit and remeasure, then add a bit at at time until near full.  Bear in mind that oil level can only be read accurately when oil is warm, boot shut, on level ground and engine off for a couple of minutes.

These are cars that can use a bit of oil, especially when driven hard, so once you have a level you are happy with you need to monitor (checking when you fill up petrol is a good habit (flat ground, warm engine etc) you will soon get an idea on how much you are using.  I find on mine I don't really use anything of significance unless I drive pretty hard.

Cheers gents

i added half a litre and it went up one bar, took it for a spin and then parked up and checked again

added the rest of the bottle and it went up to one below the maximum level and then took it for a drive and checked again and it was still one below.

so im guessing the only warning is when it drops below the minimum and warns you not to drive the car……  

ill check it more often now

When mine gave me the warning I was 10 miles into my journey and pulled over immediately. I could see no sign of a leak and figured that it hadn't burnt all that oil since I left home. I added half a litre from the bottle that came with the car just to be on the safe side and continued my trip. About 10 miles later I then got a warning saying that the oil level was too high but it was ok to continue! I kept getting that warning every trip so I had to drop half a litre out and all was fine. 

Just had some strange oil level behaviour... somewhere in France en route to the Swiss Alps I checked the level and it showed 3 out of 5 bars and green. So I thought all was good and that I would keep an eye on it. Perhaps 1000km later arrived at my destination and parked the car in the hotel garage for 3 nights. Parking space was on a slight slant to the left. Drove the car away yesterday and perhaps 10km later encountered some roadworks with a light-controlled contraflow and the start/stop kicked in and a few seconds later warning light flashes up saying oil low don't drive on etc. Thankfully had stuck a litre in the boot so added that and carried on. Gauge now shows 4 green bars out of 5 - WTF?

I dont trust it 100%

Mine dropped from full to one green bar within a month of service, I then left it like that for 5 months and it stayed the same. Just added 1/4 of a litre and its gone up to 3 green bars now..

I certainly found some erratic readings just after you have had an oil change. I think the strategy would be to leave it for a couple of weeks after a change before any further topping up.  I think in general it's a good idea to check it regularly ( when filling with petrol) so you have a good idea of where you expect it to be, and then not acting immediately on unexpected readings.

What oil does it use guys ... I know I could look it up ... but thought I'd also ask, which make you use at the same time ... any recommendations ? 

6 minutes ago, runner said:

What oil does it use guys ... I know I could look it up ... but thought I'd also ask, which make you use at the same time ... any recommendations ? 

I must admit,mines stinks like a fish n chips van since I started using vegetable oil ....

5 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

I must admit,mines stinks like a fish n chips van since I started using vegetable oil ....

You are clearly sourcing from the wrong place - whats your preference?  Deep fried mars bars - at least then its a sweet rather than fishy smell :rolleyes:

I believe my Indie uses Mobil 1... but I don't know what viscosity - I let Lee at CPS sort that out...

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

You are clearly sourcing from the wrong place - whats your preference?  Deep fried mars bars - at least then its a sweet rather than fishy smell :rolleyes:

I believe my Indie uses Mobil 1...

tescos own veg oil,may be I should use olive oil? I mean,it IS a Porsche :)

48 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Waitrose extra virgin, obvs.

I'll try that then as I prefer shopping there as a better class of car and larger parking bays and no chaves  to dent my pride n joy :)

5 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Waitrose extra virgin, obvs.

Reminds me of a song.

The rich girl uses Vaseline and poor girls, they use lard.

Dinah uses axle grease 'cos here c+++s so hard.

IIRC Revolution came on here once and said that, because of the route it takes through the engine, the dipstick is actually less accurate than the oil sensor, which is part of the reason Porsche dumped it.

Doesn't help anyone whose oil sensor is fussy :)  but thought I'd contribute that...

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

IIRC Revolution came on here once and said that, because of the route it takes through the engine, the dipstick is actually less accurate than the oil sensor, which is part of the reason Porsche dumped it.

Doesn't help anyone whose oil sensor is fussy :)  but thought I'd contribute that...

Interesting though :) Cheers

Archived