981 Extended Warranty (after 3 years old)

runner

Hi all,

I did search this topic on this forum before putting fingers to keyboard, so whilst I have a better understanding than I did ...  I just wanted to ask a few questions more if I may?

I have just had the letter from Porsche saying that the car is due to have its warranty expire, 28th July this year, £1,190 + VAT I think was the figure, for 2 years.  On this forum, I'm seeing people say that they had to get a 111 Point survey done PRIOR to being able to take on their offer of extension ... surely if it's had 3 years under full warranty, it just flows straight on ? The letter from Porsche never mentions either a) needing an additional 111 survey to accept it or b ) the cost of doing it ?

Can someone please clarify please ?

My second question is an easy, quick survey ... "Yes" or "No" posting please ... "Is it worth taking it out (value for money) or does Porsche use the "Wear and Tear" clause all the time thus rendering it useless? ... 

Cheers as ever ... 

Hi,  yes usually you do have to have the 111 point check, I'm surprised the OPC letter didn't mention it, if it is done along side a service then some OPCs may wave the fee (in your case I guess a service isn't due) I believe the full fee is somewhere around £250 - but negotiate.

Is it worth it??.  

Many people have positive experiences of extended warranty claims, some (loud voices) have negative views.  In general the 981 seems a fairly reliable animal, but as long as you are happy to have OPC servicing And none modified car then you shouldn't have any issue with claims.   The only things that aren't covered due to wear and tear are the exact items you would expect. So really it's down to your attitude to risk. If the PDK blows up it's an expensive repair!!! 

My simply answer is Yes I think it is worth it.

No.

£1190 +vat is £1428 + say £200 for the 111 point check, plus the premium of having an OPC do your 4th year major service plus brake fluid and plugs, say another £300 that tots up to around £1920. That's a good start to most repairs, again it's your attitude to risk, engine and pdk failures are rare but very expensive do you feel lucky....?

@runner check my thread out and it will tell you what mine cost, 2yrs warranty plus option 2yrs Porsche Assistance and the 111 point check

main thread which shows the others things done under warranty too

and another here

It's an interesting question. My 25k Mazda 5 is 7 years old and only needed 2 new shocks. My 10k Getz is 10 years old and only needed new tyres.

Yet, like many, I am nervous my 50k 4 year old Porsche is going to have a major issue covered under a warrantee. Irrational, but true!

Can't remember where but I read an anecdote from an automotive writer who used to do impromptu surveys (as you do) at dinner parties about what cars people drove. Those that drove German cars were on average more smug than most until the topic turned to reliability when those driving Japanese cars had the last laugh. Ironic that for all their supposed engineering and automotive design/technology prowess the German cars are inevitably the more expensive to run in the long haul. But we keep going back for more!

Never owned a Japanese car in my life - guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Why not check around for cover with other warranty company's? I bought my 981 from Sytner with a 6mth warranty.  Towards the end of the period I was offered extended warranty with them (I think it's backed by Car Care Plan).  I pay £620 for each full year, paid monthly.  No 111 point check required and I can get the car serviced at my local indy.  So far I've had an aircon rad replaced and another more minor niggle fixed and all done at Reading OPC, total cost around £1.2k.  No complaints from the warranty company.  Seems worth shopping around if you want peace of mind and value for money?

A definite for me. 

Mines just up for its second renewal and I'll be taking it out for the 2 years.  Have had a couple of issues and reckon the combined cost would have been well over 4k.  Portsmouth OPC are great in terms of service and honouring warranty claims......so far

The 111 point check is compulsory even if you are coming directly off the back of the initial 3 year warranty you got with the car from new.

The reason is that any faults found during the check would have to be rectified before the new warranty is issued. If you back-to-back the old warranty with the new one then any defects found will be fixed under the old warranty.

Try asking for the 111 point check fee to be waived if you buy the 2 year package. You never know.

11 hours ago, temporarychicken said:

The 111 point check is compulsory even if you are coming directly off the back of the initial 3 year warranty you got with the car from new.

The reason is that any faults found during the check would have to be rectified before the new warranty is issued. If you back-to-back the old warranty with the new one then any defects found will be fixed under the old warranty.

Try asking for the 111 point check fee to be waived if you buy the 2 year package. You never know.

I tried and only managed a reduction in the cost of the 111 point check...given on mine it was 3rd yr insurance backed to a new 2 yr  insurance backed I dont understand how they can insist (but they do), whereas on a newer car where year 3 is manufacturer warranty and you are then going to an insurance one, I can understand it..

Had a quote on line from an independent, didn't cover AC, hoses etc... £1,400 when they rang me they could not/would not compete withPorsche price. Yes, £220 for 111 point check or what ever, said I wanted it MOT'd and asked for a discount, not getting a great deal. Car is booked in for Friday.

Then this morning.... 

IMG_5797.jpg

Engine warning light, second one in two weeks and needed a car today, called Porsche Recovery, car to Porsche Newcastle and courtesy car delivered, Mercedes S350.

Oh and how many miles has it done ... again, if you don't mind me asking ... no problems if you don't wish to share ! ;o) 

Mine's 28 months old, 14k miles, so still in Mfr Warranty.  The part that has gone is an active mount that comes as part of Sport Chrono,  if you dont have SC you won't have these.  Shows as "PADM fault, Careful Driving Possible" on the dash. It is apparently an internal electrical short. Fortunately car is still drivable and feels little different, in fact I've been on 2 BoXa.net jaunts the past couple of weeks with no adverse effects.

The engineer said they had had a few of these failures (not specifically 981 related, they use similar part for various models).

Thanks ... I do have PASM ... so I guess that means my sits in the 'could happen to you' mode :-) .. still haven't made my mind up ... the car is in on 25th July for it's MOT slighlty early ... so I may talk to people in the OPC then and see what I can get off the 111 point check ... still not totally convinced of outlaying £1.5k up front.  I guess, with everything I buy, small stuff eg washing machine, tv's ... right up to big stuff, previous cars, I've never had extended warranty ... but it's the Porsche complexity versus the other cars I've owned and had no failures on that concerns me ... 

2 minutes ago, runner said:

Thanks ... I do have PASM ... so I guess that means my sits in the 'could happen to you' mode :-) .. still haven't made my mind up ... the car is in on 25th July for it's MOT slighlty early ... so I may talk to people in the OPC then and see what I can get off the 111 point check ... still not totally convinced of outlaying £1.5k up front.  I guess, with everything I buy, small stuff eg washing machine, tv's ... right up to big stuff, previous cars, I've never had extended warranty ... but it's the Porsche complexity versus the other cars I've owned and had no failures on that concerns me ... 

PASM is active dampers, PADM- Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts come with Sport Chrono and apply to the Gearbox/engine mounts.

another option you could consider, if you have a decent Indi near you, see if they do a maintenance/repair plan (similar to Revolution or Hartech). They tend to cover Labour (usually the largest cost) and can be more flexible than the OPC Warranty (e.g. Allowing mods). However they tend to be only a little cheaper and in my example above would not cover the £900 part cost just the installation charge.

Its all a bit of a gamble with this warranty do or do not.

Mines September at the moment and am thinking to not warranty the car and put the £1500 in the bank.

The guys with warranty seem happy with it as peace of mind and also the work they have had done if needed. The only question that goes through my head is how much the work would be done at an Indi instead of an OPC i.e. no warranty.

Porsche discs and pads quoted from various OPC's range from £900-£1150 and the Indi's are £550-£650.

For me its all a bit of a conundrum on saving money vs peace of mind (if porsche cover the warranty issue).

My view was to keep it in warranty as it  helps keeps value in the car should I unexpectedly decide to sell the car in the not to distant future.

Also I just renewed the warranty on our 3 yr old X5 .  Good job too as it's in the garage now having a new sunroof cassette costing ££££'s.

Warranty=Peace of Mind.

Archived