Lovely day spoilt by a noise from the engine

John2000

The other day it was one of those clear blue sky days so I could not wait to go for a long drive with the top down.
Drove into Wales and back through Shrewsbury it was a red hot day and I had a great drive the car did not miss a beat it seemed to just want to accelerate away I felt I was having to hold her back it’s the 2.7 and I'm glad it’s not the 3.2 because I think I would have picked up a ticket or two.
The day was a little spoiled because has I reversed onto my drive I heard an high pitched noise and I thought that sounds expensive but I was too tired to do anything about it then.
A few days later I removed the inspection plate behind the seats and noticed that the rubber lining that acts as sound proving had dropped down and was being worn away by the belt as it went round the pulleys.
I used contact adhesive to re fix it has best as I could, the next day I started the car and was pleased  that the noise had stopped, but just had I was felling a little smug I looked up from inside the car through the back window to seen a large area of white smoke.
Because of this great forum resource I had already read what this meant and was ordering a new AOS from Design 911 and a new pipe to go with it.
I’m not good working on the car getting to old to jack it up and work when it’s on stands so pick up the phone and using quick dial I booked the car in to get it fitted, I'm not joking since I bought the car I found it useful to have my garage  on quick dial 

On 7/8/2017 at 7:11 PM, John2000 said:

The other day it was one of those clear blue sky days so I could not wait to go for a long drive with the top down.
Drove into Wales and back through Shrewsbury it was a red hot day and I had a great drive the car did not miss a beat it seemed to just want to accelerate away I felt I was having to hold her back it’s the 2.7 and I'm glad it’s not the 3.2 because I think I would have picked up a ticket or two.
The day was a little spoiled because has I reversed onto my drive I heard an high pitched noise and I thought that sounds expensive but I was too tired to do anything about it then.
A few days later I removed the inspection plate behind the seats and noticed that the rubber lining that acts as sound proving had dropped down and was being worn away by the belt as it went round the pulleys.
I used contact adhesive to re fix it has best as I could, the next day I started the car and was pleased  that the noise had stopped, but just had I was felling a little smug I looked up from inside the car through the back window to seen a large area of white smoke.
Because of this great forum resource I had already read what this meant and was ordering a new AOS from Design 911 and a new pipe to go with it.
I’m not good working on the car getting to old to jack it up and work when it’s on stands so pick up the phone and using quick dial I booked the car in to get it fitted, I'm not joking since I bought the car I found it useful to have my garage  on quick dial 

Just me then

I was a little concerned to see that the liner/sound deadener had separated from the inside of the engine bay all around the engine when I first opened my engine hatch, but it doesn't seem to have snagged on anything, or if it did it has now sufficiently worn itself away already :lol: 

Mine had dropped down wearing a slot into it with the aux belt.

I'm not sure my temp fix will hold I've already booked a make or brake visit with Russ @Revolution Porsche Brighouse to decide if it's worth spending money on it or cutting my loses and get a better one 

20 minutes ago, Tex24v said:

I was a little concerned to see that the liner/sound deadener had separated from the inside of the engine bay all around the engine when I first opened my engine hatch, but it doesn't seem to have snagged on anything, or if it did it has now sufficiently worn itself away already :lol: 

What did you do did you remove it?

Whether your issue is a replacement AOS or a minor repair on some sound deadening, neither sound like make or break sell or don't sell decisions.

16 hours ago, edc said:

Whether your issue is a replacement AOS or a minor repair on some sound deadening, neither sound like make or break sell or don't sell decisions.

Hi edc, I agree with you, but I have booked in with Russ @Revolution Porsche in September  for a 111 point  check I already know the paint work needs a lot of work and I want it to be as good as it can be both mechanically and body wise because I do love driving it.

In September it's just a matter of what is the best cost option.

I bought it on a whim now the only way I won't be owning one is when I'm too old to drive and that's not too far off.

18 hours ago, John2000 said:

What did you do did you remove it?

Absolutely nothing ! :lol:  it's still there, it seems to be stiff enough not to flap about. Nothing has been raised by any of the garages it has been into either, including several visits to Revolution, so I wouldn't really lose any sleep over it.

If it still rubbing then maybe cut a section off to allow a bit of clearance. The engine bay gets so dirty and greasy I would imagine it would be a nightmare to re-attach it.

Not sure I've ever heard of such a thing in my 8 years here. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though and is a good heads up for others to check theirs.

You've bought a 16 year old prestige car that had a new price of 3x VW Golfs, so I'm sorry but bits will need work and they won't always be cheap :)

I went the other way, bought a 2 year old car that has nearly never had a thing go wrong with it in 8 years, but the price differential between that and your old one would have paid for servicing yours for the next 15 years :D   it really is swings and roundabouts.

Revolution are loved here, you should be in good hands.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Thanks Menoporsche, I hope it's in a good enough condition to keep because I have come to look forward to driving her whenever I can.

At least I will know if im to spend a lot more or sell and find a replacement in September after talking to Russ.

986 is a relatively old car these days. Whatever car you get unless you pay a decent premium for a any cost sorted car is going to set you back some annual on going maintenance above and beyond the basic service schedule. Unless you have a complete basket case and it doesn't sound like you have then it's probably better the devil you know. If you've read around here enough then hopefully you will know the oft quoted recommendation of £1-2k per year . 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:09 PM, edc said:

986 is a relatively old car these days. Whatever car you get unless you pay a decent premium for a any cost sorted car is going to set you back some annual on going maintenance above and beyond the basic service schedule. Unless you have a complete basket case and it doesn't sound like you have then it's probably better the devil you know. If you've read around here enough then hopefully you will know the oft quoted recommendation of £1-2k per year . 

Hi edc, 1 to 2 k is in the ball park figure of what I have paid out this year and happy to do so for the few years I will be able to drive at 65 I would be happy if I can for another 5 years.

The price was outrageous, JMHO. (I prefer honesty, no offense meant). Truth be told, I might have blundered by buying cheap Boxsters with issues. guess what? Cheap Boxsters can turn out to be very expensive indeed! :huh:

Q: Why didn't you look at newer models, bigger engines? There are lovely "S" out there for 6 grand. Just wondering. ** A friend was collecting cars. They never were rained on, not by a single drop. But the breakes seized and decades later, even true 20 k miles would barely fetch much more than normal cars in good condition. 

For 10 grand, I might have looked at 996 convertibles. Ideally a fender bender model. Oh well, hindsight is a wonderful thing! Am still reeling from a nasty shock. 30 minutes ago, buyers of a motorcycle discovered issues I'd overlooked.

Sellers do lie through their teeth! Fool I am, I "bought" the assurance that this was a titanium Akrapovic exhaust. A false description means a vehicle can be returned at the seller's cost. - Hope you verified the mileage and that you will be very happy for years with your beautiful roadster!

Archived