PCM on 718

Mike Cad

I have been using a mixture of Bluetooth and CarPlay for my iPhone but I can't seem to work out how to play all songs from an artist. I select the artist name and it gives me a list of albums, I have to pick a specific album to play and I might only have a single song from that particular album. Anyone know how to just "play all" for an artist?

I kinda answered my own question. CarPlay is cr*p. You can't seem to play all songs by an artists, you can't browse songs using the steering wheel selector. If you plug your phone in using regular iPod mode though you can play all songs by an artists and browse with the steering wheel. CarPlay doesn't actually add anything though when you have the full PCM system so....

Had played with CarPlay in a Merc loan car I had.  I agree it's cr*p.  Also takes over the nav system with Apples Maps, which is bilge (that you would have paid 1k + for). 

Instead of taking me to my customers office (a single postcode) it took me to what can only be described as a dogging car park the other side of the site.

Mmmmm, maybe it knew my 'driving preferences' after all!  :D 

11 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Had played with CarPlay in a Merc loan car I had.  I agree it's cr*p.  Also takes over the nav system with Apples Maps, which is bilge (that you would have paid 1k + for). 

Instead of taking me to my customers office (a single postcode) it took me to what can only be described as a dogging car park the other side of the site.

Mmmmm, maybe it knew my 'driving preferences' after all!  :D 

Clever these Apple algorithms :) You can still use the Porsche Nav system when CarPlay is operating, the Porsche Nav seems great though, especially with the Google Earth gimmick :) I have been watching episodes of the Simpsons on it (during stops of course).

1 minute ago, Mike Cad said:

Clever these Apple algorithms :) You can still use the Porsche Nav system when CarPlay is operating, the Porsche Nav seems great though, especially with the Google Earth gimmick :) I have been watching episodes of the Simpsons on it (during stops of course).

Ah, that didn't seem to be the case in the Merc I had.  Good that you can switch, especially when you want to 'accidentally' end up in a car park! :D

I took all of my itunes library and put it on the jukebox using the SD card slots. I don't use carplay at all these days - also found it to be less than acceptable. But I suppose that still doesn't anser the original question - mind you, I shuffle tracks randomly and use the diamond to skip to the next track if it's not the 'right' track.

The question is answered in that it seems that with CarPlay, music control is limited. Everything else does what you would expect (actually I didn't expect much but I am pleasantly surprised).

I use a 64GB USB stick in the glove box for music, one SD card has movies and TV series on, the other SD card just music. I haven't put anything on the Jukebox yet. Interestingly in terms of the PCM indexing the MP3 tracks, 96 NOW albums indexed in around 10 seconds which is very impressive. I also configured my diamond button to skip to the next track :) All these methods allow me to select an artist and play ALL. 

The only thing that you can't do is use voice control to search your music via Bluetooth but I can live with that.

One thing that annoys me is that if I have my iPhone plugged in to the centre console and stop at a shop,for 2 minutes…… If the ignition is not off for more than 5 minutes or so the phone will not re synchs and instead just plays thru the phone speakers and I have to unplug it and re plug it in.

58 minutes ago, Paulo123 said:

One thing that annoys me is that if I have my iPhone plugged in to the centre console and stop at a shop,for 2 minutes…… If the ignition is not off for more than 5 minutes or so the phone will not re synchs and instead just plays thru the phone speakers and I have to unplug it and re plug it in.

Same with the PCM on the 981. Yet the Sony stereo I bought for 20 pounds for my £300 Skoda Fabia syncs automatically within 2 seconds of restart... ?

• 2 months later...
On Thursday, August 03, 2017 at 1:45 PM, mike597 said:

I'm not impressed by 96 NOW albums.. 

:unsure:

I love Now music 3

Showing my age ......

21 minutes ago, guest1 said:

I love Now music 3

Showing my age ......

I should think a fair percentage of those on here associate with a lot of the stuff on there - I have most of these songs in my Spotify playlists ?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Now-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-3/master/216898?sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiO_dTmrIHXAhUIB8AKHWxmDV4Q_B0IMzAA

Just found Now 3 as a playlist on Spotify - that’s my morning music play ? 

Ah life is so simple in a 986, but praise ye for:

The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.
:thumbsup_still:

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Ah life is so simple in a 986, but praise ye for:

The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.
:thumbsup_still:

Very deep, Bob! ;)

Archived