Roof outside of the channel or gulley

Sheppie_hill

Nearly all of the boosters I look at have either one side or both sitting outide of the gulley when closed. I found lots of articles describing the problem and suggested fixes but recently came across this video which helped me immensely to fix my own roof. Here you go

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2017 at 6:30 PM, red rocket said:

Well done; this is the one i mentioned in my reply to your post just now.

Thanks mate, and thanks @Sheppie_hill for posting this.

Did it just now and it took me all of 20 minutes! Just needed the elastic, scissors and a decent stapler.

On 06/08/2017 at 9:13 PM, Sazzy said:

Mine must be the only damn car that this fix doesn't work on :vmad:

I wonder if your elastic is the wrong length? Mine was doing exactly the same so I followed the instructions in this vid and it worked perfectly. Personally I cut the old elastic out and tempoarily stapled the new one in to check that I had the right length. Then when I was confident the length was right, I sewed it in. Looks a bugger, but you never see it and it works perfectly.

17 hours ago, Beanhead said:

Thanks mate, and thanks @Sheppie_hill for posting this.

Did it just now and it took me all of 20 minutes! Just needed the elastic, scissors and a decent stapler.

Where did you get the elastic from @Beanhead ?

1 hour ago, guest1 said:

Where did you get the elastic from @Beanhead ?

Bought some from eBay mate, it's really cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112491443839

The existing loose elastic is quite thin so the one I used was 3cm width. I took the advice from the guy in that video.

I'd say 1m in length is more than enough to order. I doubled up on both sides and stapled.

Stitching would be more professional and robust but when you start working on it and see how awkward it is you soon realise why stapling is easier.

Hope that helps.

Beans

3 hours ago, maybe said:

I wonder if your elastic is the wrong length? Mine was doing exactly the same so I followed the instructions in this vid and it worked perfectly. Personally I cut the old elastic out and tempoarily stapled the new one in to check that I had the right length. Then when I was confident the length was right, I sewed it in. Looks a bugger, but you never see it and it works perfectly.

I searched everywhere in my car for this famous piece of elastic and couldn't find it on either side. I then read an article (which for the life of me I can't find now!), which said the facelift 986's don't have them as they are replaced with plastic tabs which 'push' the roof into the channels. 

In the end, in my case, one of the tension cables that runs through the piping on the edge of the roof had snapped. It was an absolute bitch of a job which involves stripping some of the canvas away from the frame.

I took lots of photos and could make a 'How to' on here if of any use but it seems everyone else's problem is solved by that elusive bit of elastic! <_<

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Beanhead said:

Bought some from eBay mate, it's really cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112491443839

The existing loose elastic is quite thin so the one I used was 3cm width. I took the advice from the guy in that video.

I'd say 1m in length is more than enough to order. I doubled up on both sides and stapled.

Stitching would be more professional and robust but when you start working on it and see how awkward it is you soon realise why stapling is easier.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Thanks @Beanhead

• 1 month later...

I LOVE this site! Looked at the video, stapled my existing elastic band a little tighter and hey PRESTO, FIXED THE PROBLEM. 

TOTAL COST: 5 minutes, 4 staples !!!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 6:39 PM, capeboy said:

I LOVE this site! Looked at the video, stapled my existing elastic band a little tighter and hey PRESTO, FIXED THE PROBLEM. 

TOTAL COST: 5 minutes, 4 staples !!!

Thanks

This is only a temporary fix, and won't last. It worked on mine for a couple of weeks, and then it happened again. Get yourself some new elastic on ebay so you will be ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived