986 Hardtops - why so pricy?

Chipps

Just to add for anyone who is considering a hardtop, as long as there is two of you removing and installing the hardtop (as long as you’ve done it a few times) takes  2-3 mins max, which is a lot quicker than putting the roof up or down on the Boxster Spyder.

So once fitted its not a permanent winter fixture that’s a PITA to remove on the odd sunny days we may have during the winter.

i also think the 986 really suits the look with the HT in place, also makes it a cosy place to be in the winter.

2 hours ago, the baron said:

as long as there is two of you removing and installing the hardtop (as long as you’ve done it a few times) takes  2-3 mins max, which is a lot quicker than putting the roof up or down on the Boxster Spyder.

So once fitted its not a permanent winter fixture that’s a PITA to remove on the odd sunny days we may have during the winter.

This logic works when it's parked at home, but it fails when the sun comes out while you're en route :)

And try getting your Mrs to help you remove the roof, cover it, place it on the stand and wheel into garage at 7am on a Sunday morning when it's 5 degrees in Winter when you want to take advantage of quiet roads for a bit of a blast.

1 hour ago, edc said:

And try getting your Mrs to help you remove the roof, cover it, place it on the stand and wheel into garage at 7am on a Sunday morning when it's 5 degrees in Winter when you want to take advantage of quiet roads for a bit of a blast.

I don’t bother with that faff, if I know it will be going back on later in the day, but you do have a point.

1 hour ago, edc said:

I am just trying to imagine the words that would be used at my house if I requested assistance in this kind of scenario...

I'd also add if your Mrs is 5 foot nothing then she will probably struggle lifting it on and off. If she hasn't already done it once then you don't want the first time to be taking it off the car as the eight and position you have to carry it in will surprise her. For a while I just lay mine on cardboard on the garage floor. From there it's quite easy enough to manhandle it onto a stand single handed.

Maybe a couple of those big suction cups they use to move windows could work. You still need to line it up at the front to slot forward into the tabs and at the rear downward. I think that would be quite hard with only one person from the side. 

12 hours ago, edc said:

Maybe a couple of those big suction cups they use to move windows could work. You still need to line it up at the front to slot forward into the tabs and at the rear downward. I think that would be quite hard with only one person from the side. 

You’d be surprised how much movement you’ve got and is quite easily a one man job once HT is placed on top of car

Have to say i love my hardtop ! i scored one just before winter for 250 quid ! possibly the cheapest one out there, wrong colour silver and the last owner broke the front latch in a mood one day.. quick check and research found the catch is the same as the numerous 996 so £25 later on a popular internet site with postage i had it fixed so £275 and a set of fitting bolts was a good investment.. Find it great in the rain, quiet and warm, its just those sunny balmy 10 deg days make you want to take it off but 5 mins later im happy its on again.

Just deciding if i should try and plastidip paint it in that peelable vinyl paint or get it wrapped ? Hoist would be handy as no help around to remove it.

I mentioned a few times the idea of spending 650 on a Carhood Warehouse replacement soft top instead, as I’d understood they are thicker and more waterproof than the original, at least pre facelift. But I only hear; would need a couple of owners to confirm or refute that. But if true it would make more sense to me as a purchase. 

On 26/01/2018 at 8:01 AM, Menoporsche said:

I mentioned a few times the idea of spending 650 on a Carhood Warehouse replacement soft top instead, as I’d understood they are thicker and more waterproof than the original, at least pre facelift. But I only hear; would need a couple of owners to confirm or refute that. But if true it would make more sense to me as a purchase. 

I bought one of those a few years ago in red with the glass rear heated window, I wouldn’t say they are thicker, but they are of a very high quality, however to preserve the soft top and for a better winter experience I still went out and bought a hardtop last year.

And I don’t regret it one bit.

• 2 years later...

I negotiated my hard top with the car when I bought it 2yrs ago. I'm yet to actually use it!

It hangs on the wall in the garage as a porsche ornament 

Cost me £500

Plus porsche boxster 986 wall bracket 

Plus porsche boxster 986 cover

Plus plastic in car hinge cover thingy

Plus fitting car kit.........so not really that cheap 

But when new in 2000 they were £2000.......20190802_114910.jpg

I bought mine new with the car and it was indeed something like 2K!  Just like @stevemag above its been mounted on the garage wall in it's cover for as long as I can remember.  Would I buy it again given my time over? I suspect not.

Isn't one of the reasons they're so rare nowadays because they were a mandatory requirement for racing? 

Archived