986 Hardtops - why so pricy?

Chipps

I've been hunting around for a used hardtop for my new-to-me black 986 - and hardtop prices seem to oscillate between around £350-700. If that's what the price is, then that's what it is.

I then spotted a hardtop for a 911 996 cabrio for £200! And another, and another. 

If the Boxster is the budget end of Porsche ownership, how come the 911 gets a cheaper lid?

(Or is it because they just don't look very good with them on...? ;-))

just sold mine a few weeks ago, it was around 400.

If your BoXa is a winter daily, the hard-top is pretty useful imho. I survived many long rainy/windy trips on m25 and m11 in the last 6 years, without hard-top would have been a noisy nightmare! :) 

11 minutes ago, Chipps said:

I've been hunting around for a used hardtop for my new-to-me black 986 - and hardtop prices seem to oscillate between around £350-700. If that's what the price is, then that's what it is.

I then spotted a hardtop for a 911 996 cabrio for £200! And another, and another. 

If the Boxster is the budget end of Porsche ownership, how come the 911 gets a cheaper lid?

(Or is it because they just don't look very good with them on...? ;-))

I think I read that the 911 996 cabrio all came with a hard top, so little demand for a secondhand one and plenty of people who want to get rid of a storage overhead.

Ahah, that seems to answer my question nicely. It was a free gift for spending all that cash for a 911... :-)

Part of the reason I've been considering a hardtop for the winter is that the softtop doesn't quite seem to sit in its channels correctly and the car lives outside (but more of that on another thread...)

7 minutes ago, Chipps said:

Ahah, that seems to answer my question nicely. It was a free gift for spending all that cash for a 911... :-)

Part of the reason I've been considering a hardtop for the winter is that the softtop doesn't quite seem to sit in its channels correctly and the car lives outside (but more of that on another thread...)

you need to make sure all the drain holes are clear and you should be ok with the soft top.

986drains-full.jpg

14 minutes ago, Chipps said:

Part of the reason I've been considering a hardtop for the winter is that the softtop doesn't quite seem to sit in its channels correctly

If you mean the channels above the doors, that's a common problem with a cheap and simple fix - look in How To.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, Menoporsche said:

Meno's Maths

Probability of wanting a 986 hard top significantly increases with:

a) age, propensity to creature comforts

b ) annual mileage

c) main residence' distance north of London.

I'm old and live north of London but not interested in a hard top.

One of the many things I love about the BoXa is the look and drive when the top is down

I recently bought one in the Emerald Isle- hard to get here , paid £450, so may assist in benchmark pricing - P&P from UK is the killer here

only query I have is that the roof doesn't have ears - should a '98 hardtop have them ?

KT ( originality freak LOL)

• 3 months later...

I paid a premium for my HT (many moons ago) and really liked the way it changed the shape of the car.

It seemed to give it a 'different' look.

Removing it wasn't too difficult, but as many others have said, storage is PITA as it is so cumbersome.  If that isn't an issue, just keep an eye out and get one.  How much will you lose if you can keep it till next winter and sell it on?

I once had a Z3 2.8 and it came with a hard top. I used to out it on when the weather turned cold - October or November until about February / March. It totally transformed the car; quieter, stiffer, warmer - I can see the point of guys wanting one. I had a decent sized garage and could hang the hard top up in its cover from the ceiling when not in use. Haven't had one for any Porsche that I have owned since, but it would be nice. Wonder if they can be had for a 718...?

I love my hardtop. It’s on now although I always fancy dropping the roof the second the rain slows...

It gives the car a totally different look - but colour sensitive in my opinion. In arena red it looks superb.

It’s also so much easier to drive (a new car to me) over winter with the wider rear view, especially when reversing etc. 

On 1/17/2018 at 11:00 PM, Dwdg said:

I love my hardtop. It’s on now although I always fancy dropping the roof the second the rain slows...

It gives the car a totally different look - but colour sensitive in my opinion. In arena red it looks superb.

It’s also so much easier to drive (a new car to me) over winter with the wider rear view, especially when reversing etc. 

Totally agree Dwdg.  I've had mine on all winter and its great.  Rarely get any condensation, its quiet and protects the soft top through the continuous damp weather. There's been the odd sunny day when its a pain but overall I wouldn't be without it through the sh1t weather. I remember trying to get the green of my wife's mini convertible!! I'm personally not a big fan of the look when fitted, a bit retro for me, but the quality and fit of it is superb.

Archived